Ristolainen to Flyers

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Notice i changed my avatar....i have had the same one since Ivan made the Flyers now i felt the need to change it to the savior of the franchise....hope i don't get banned.

:beer:

14 hours ago, CoachX said:

@OccamsRazor

I followed suit. My avatar reflects the state of the Flyers

Since all the cool kids are doing it, I also changed my avatar. Enjoy Ohio Jakub!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Some big hits in those highlights.

The one that stood out to me was trucking Ovechkin, that doesn't happen often.

Also blowing up Jake Guentzel was nice and the big hit on Ryan Reaves...this is an element the Flyers haven't had since the butcher was traded.

Agreed, only problem is the highlight reel of guys skating past him while he waves his stick in the air is a lot longer.

Maybe I shouldn't call him a weak or soft player he's just another one of those "when I feel like it" guys and they drive me nuts. And on top of that we gave a whole lot to get him.

• Like 1

Also blowing up Jake Guentzel was nice and the big hit on Ryan Reaves...this is an element the Flyers haven't had since the butcher was traded.

You know who else threw big hits? Dan Carcillo. And he's about as smart of a player as Ristolainen. And didn't cost the farm to get. 

We could have got some big hits for a 2nd round pick. 

It's always overpaying that is going to keep our cup winless streak intact.

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

Yes. If they can mild him into the type of defender they want this could be a huge win.

I know that won't convince all the nay sayers but they need the physical element they lacked and hoping Myers would bring and he just never did.

Myers mind can't handle the speed of the NHL game.

Who knows Risto might not be able to as well guess we'll see.

I sure hope they get a look at him playing before they rush to extend him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes. If they can mild him into the type of defender they want this could be a huge win.

I know that won't convince all the nay sayers but they need the physical element they lacked and hoping Myers would bring and he just never did.

They actually had physical with Hagg.  We never liked him.

Just saying.

• Good Post 1

49 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I can’t believe nobody changed their profile picture to the legendary General Manager of the Flyers.  I guess that will be left up to me…Just trying to fit in with the cool kids.  

I have changed mine to another Flyers legend. If we had more players like him, we wouldn't be in this mess.

• Uggh... 2

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

One of the things I think should be considered are coaches egos. 

When viewed in a vacuum, Ristonlainen is a freak; he's a big guy, he's got soft hands, he can skate really well, he's got a good understanding of how to control his body and how to play physically.  Lots of things that can't be taught Risto has in abundance. 

I am positive Mike Yeo and lots of other coaches look at Rasmus and think, "I can fix him".

There are cases where the right coach at the right time changes a players trajectory, this could be the case here.

I don't know the percentages but just as often as those coaches succeed I'll bet they fail as often.

Can Ristolainen rebound from years of having to figure it out on his own on terrible teams that could not get out of their own way?

Could playing in an environment where you knew  you weren't going to play meaningful hockey past February have had an effect on his effort ?

I think this is going to be an interesting subplot to this season. I know the cost was high, but I think if Risto can turn it around it could look like good value or best case scenario a bargain. 

• Like 2

In keeping with the hope and optimism you are emitting, imagine Risto stabilizing and a healthy Big Sam maturing into a dependable 3rd pair force 

That could be fun to watch, unless you are an opposing target 

• Like 2

Lol....like the extension wasn't already guaranteed when they sent our 1st and 2nd.

Meet our new Andrew MacDonald.

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Agreed, only problem is the highlight reel of guys skating past him while he waves his stick in the air is a lot longer.

This is the biggest problem with Ristolainen: he spends too much time in his own end because he's weak at defending zone entries.

edit - I had meant to include a quote and link to an article from almost 10 years ago which was great: "Dave Tippett and Thinking About Defense Differently".

"We had a player that was supposed to be a great, shut-down defenseman. He was supposedly the be-all, end-all of defensemen. But when you did a 10-game analysis of him, you found out he was defending all the time because he can’t move the puck.

"Then we had another guy, who supposedly couldn’t defend a lick. Well, he was defending only 20 percent of the time because he’s making good plays out of our end. He may not be the strongest defender, but he’s only doing it 20 percent of the time. So the equation works out better the other way. I ended up trading the other defenseman."

https://www.defendingbigd.com/2012/4/13/2941077/dave-tippett-defense-mark-fistric-matt-niskanen

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 2

Well I am not sure Travis Sanheim is the guy you want skating with Risto because Sanheim himself struggles with the puck and getting it out the zone himself.

I wonder if Chuckles is planning on trading Sanheim since he is up for a new contract himself.

At this point I wouldn't put it past him.

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well I am not sure Travis Sanheim is the guy you want skating with Risto because Sanheim himself struggles with the puck and getting it out the zone himself.

I wonder if Chuckles is planning on trading Sanheim since he is up for a new contract himself.

At this point I wouldn't put it past him.

I can't wait for them to bring the next GM in after Fletcher depletes the prospect cupboard so he can refill it and get rid of all the old overpaid contracts that ol' Fletch sold his soul for. 

Two decades away from being two years away.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Have heard CF say on a podcast (snow the goalie i think)  Sanhiem is a guy he wants to build around.

Maybe he's changed his mind since last week, but I don't think a trade of tall Travis is imminent.

I can't get over how people on here are defending the Ristolainen trade. The Flyers have up more for Ristolainen than what Florida gave up for Reinhart. I get that they play two different positions, but this was a BAD trade. And people are like "well the team needed to make changes." We all agree that they needed to make changes. Doesn't mean that they had to make bad changes. And sometimes, the best moves are the ones you don't make. 

As for Shill Meltzer saying the entry fee for Ristolainen was a first round pick, I'm calling ******** on that one.  A defensemen with Ristolainen's advanced numbers bring as poor as they are doesn't warrant a first. Gostisbehere has infinitely better numbers and the Flyers had to gift wrap a second round pick to move him. 

So for anyone wondering why I hate Schmuck Felcher, the Ristolainen trade is a great example. He acquired a negative set by grossly overpaying and then have up a huge portion of the future for what turned out to be an extra $625k of cap space. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Have heard CF say on a podcast (snow the goalie i think)  Sanhiem is a guy he wants to build around.

Maybe he's changed his mind since last week, but I don't think a trade of tall Travis is imminent.

Do you think Sanheim and Risto could be a pair? Condering both have a lot to clean up in their own end.

Certainly wouldn't expect him to be paired with Braun.

Guess we'll see what they have envisioned.

2 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I can't get over how people on here are defending the Ristolainen trade. The Flyers have up more for Ristolainen than what Florida gave up for Reinhart. I get that they play two different positions, but this was a BAD trade. And people are like "well the team needed to make changes." We all agree that they needed to make changes. Doesn't mean that they had to make bad changes. And sometimes, the best moves are the ones you don't make. 

As for Shill Meltzer saying the entry fee for Ristolainen was a first round pick, I'm calling ******** on that one.  A defensemen with Ristolainen's advanced numbers bring as poor as they are doesn't warrant a first. Gostisbehere has infinitely better numbers and the Flyers had to gift wrap a second round pick to move him. 

So for anyone wondering why I hate Schmuck Felcher, the Ristolainen trade is a great example. He acquired a negative set by grossly overpaying and then have up a huge portion of the future for what turned out to be an extra $625k of cap space. 

Fletcher did this to try and save his job, I assume we were out of the running for the other available defensemen, so Fletcher was worried ,he would get shutout if he waited any longer and he panicked .He figured,  at least show management he did something,  even if it was the wrong move, in their eyes any move was better than no move.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

As for Shill Meltzer saying the entry fee for Ristolainen was a first round pick, I'm calling ******** on that one.  A defensemen with Ristolainen's advanced numbers bring as poor as they are doesn't warrant a first. Gostisbehere has infinitely better numbers and the Flyers had to gift wrap a second round pick

Well I seen a few talking head suggest to trade his advanced metrics with a grain of salt due to him being forced into the lineup since he was drafted on a very bad team.

Is there merit to this I say I will with hold judgment till i see him actually play.

Anything other than that right now is speculation.

But don't let me ruin it for everyone I am just voicing my opinion because at the end of the day we'll he is a Flyers for now.

I hope for the best for the club.

🤪

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

Fletcher did this to try and save his job, I assume we were out of the running for the other available defensemen, so Fletcher was worried ,he would get shutout if he waited any longer and he panicked .He figured,  at least show management he did something,  even if it was the wrong move, in their eyes any move was better than no move.

Unless he has already had conversations with guys we suggested like Savard, Montour and even Martninez then it seems he did panic because I too wanted the guys we listed.

Bit who knows maybe they didn't want any part of Philly.

I sure hope he did his due diligence on the free agent pool.

If not that would be a travesty.

I see Montreal is going after Savard to fill Weber's hole.

Chuckles plan better work to let one of the teams they will have to face land a guy the Flyers should have offered a contract will be bad PR.

Not that they give a damn.

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Do you think Sanheim and Risto could be a pair? Condering both have a lot to clean up in their own end.

Certainly wouldn't expect him to be paired with Braun.

Guess we'll see what they have envisioned.

Risto/ Braun would be two right shot players... Chuck likes Left/Right combos, i think because AV likes that too.

I do think 6 and 55? Can be an okay pair. 

6 was okay with Braun, struggled with Myers, who played really poorly last season.

Some of this has the assumption that 6 continues to grow his game and 55 responds well to his new environment. 

I think we'll see this to start anyway.

• Like 1