Hart Re-signed for 3 Years

Samifan

• Samifan changed the title to Hart resigned for 3 years
1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes i thought around 3 mill per. So this leaves them 4 mill to sign Travis with. Not very much of a raise.

I could look but lazy.  Is Nate Thompson on a 2-way?

EDIT:  He's 35+, so it doesn't really matter, does it?

EDIT #2:  I looked. No, I was confused with Clendening

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes i thought around 3 mill per. So this leaves them 4 mill to sign Travis with. Not very much of a raise

I wonder if this is they're going to arbitration with Sanner?

I don't even know whom I'd compare him to as a comp.

I thought I saw somewhere the best case player scenario for a guy like him is in the low 5.aav range and the worst scenario is like 2.7aav.

Doesn't seem like there's going to be a whole lot of room under the salary cap.

It's not my money though. Ice the best team you can, right?

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes i thought around 3 mill per. So this leaves them 4 mill to sign Travis with. Not very much of a raise.

I was hoping for $3 million per year also but Fletcher never does anything right when it comes to handing out contracts. Sanheim may have to sign a one year deal if he doesn't like what the Flyers are offering, the Flyers do have York in the wings.

• Like 1

Well after looking at what the Rangers paid Shesterkin 5.6 mill per season well Hart's contract looks much better....so maybe Hart's struggles saved them some money over the next 3 years.

Sure it cost them a lot of W's on the ice but for cap purposes well it will help them fit Sanheim under the cap too.

The Caps gave Samsonov a one year prove it deal for 2 mill.

Guess we'll see what Sanheim does choosing a one or two year deal.

• Like 1

I guess it expected Hart's contract to be closer to what Blackwood signed for.

3 years 8.4 mill (2.8 mill per). Especially with anther contract needing to be locked up.

I hope Chuckles has a plan......right?? Back to having cap issues to start the season the more things change the more they stay the same.

Well, I guess time will tell if this is a bargain or a noose.  If he performs well, it is relatively cheap. A repeat of next year and we're pooping bricks. 

Something tells me that this board will be a litmus test for the turnaround (or lack thereof).  By Game 15 or 20, we'll have a consensus on the Fletcher 'rebuild.' A big part of that will be GAA.  I suspect posters and CF himself will not be happy if GAA is out of the top ten or fifteen.  Fletcher made it clear that was an imperative.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hope Chuckles has a plan......right?? Back to having cap issues to start the season the more things change the more they stay the same.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat!

• Like 1

Let's say I agree that Fletcher overpaid (I don't btw). Isn't there the perspective that by doing so, he sends a message. If Hart IS the guy moving forward, overpaying shows him you have his back. It shows you believe in him. Since there is discussion that Hart's psyche has taken a hit, and he's coming off a bad year, what better way to help reestablish some confidence by telling him your willing to take care of him financially 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Let's say I agree that Fletcher overpaid (I don't btw).

I don't think so either, but I do think the evaluation of "overpaid" is always better done in hindsight. I'm happy with where Hart is at in his development and the deal he got - less than Shesterkin, more than Samsonov. Not a "prove it" but a definite vote of confidence.

IMO there's also a much better benchmark for skaters than goalies (I was gobsmacked at Voracek's deal when it was signed, for example).

And different metrics for signings than trades (essentially: Ghost, 1st, 2 2nd, 3rd, Haag for Riskolainen, for example).

But in the end the evaluation is on the ice. If this is a winning team and show marked improvement across the board, it's worth it.

If not... you know how we do. :hocky:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CoachX said:

Let's say I agree that Fletcher overpaid (I don't btw). Isn't there the perspective that by doing so, he sends a message. If Hart IS the guy moving forward, overpaying shows him you have his back. It shows you believe in him. Since there is discussion that Hart's psyche has taken a hit, and he's coming off a bad year, what better way to help reestablish some confidence by telling him your willing to take care of him financially 

Time will tell if they overpaid for Hart, but I agree that the Flyers'  signed Hart based on what they want him to be rather than on what he is.  That, imo, is a terrible strategy.

40 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Time will tell if they overpaid for Hart, but I agree that the Flyers'  signed Hart based on what they want him to be rather than on what he is.  That, imo, is a terrible strategy.

So, what is Hart? The guy who put up 2.83/.917 in 31 games in 18-19, the guy who put up 2.42/.914 in 43 games in 19-20 or the 3.67/.877 in 27 games last season behind a team that a) quit and b) didn't fare much better in front of Elliott or Lyon?

From where I sit, 3 years at ~$4M isn't all that bad a deal for the player, who will now have a more regular offseason, an actual training camp, and a revamped defense playing in front of him. I think a track record over 74 games under similar circumstances is fundamentally different than the Very Different one where he played poorly in 27.

For me, overpaying based on what you want the player to be is giving a guy who has all of 47 NHL games a 4-year, $5.67M contract based in part upon his performance in the KHL. That's Igor Shesterkin on the Rangers and potentially Very Reminiscent of the Oilers' mistake with Mikko Koskinen.

We'll definitely see how this (and that) plays out, I just think it has more potential upside than pitfalls.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

All these teams handing out these 9 mill plus per year contract i hope hasn't gotten into Travis thought process because he will never be a 9 mill per season defenseman at least he won't on this team.

And i would trade him before i ever ink him to a deal like that. Hart to me has proven himself and well Sanheim hasn't and we'll just doesn't have that type of ceiling.

He should get a 2 year 8 mill deal (4 mill per) is what i am thinking...then his next contract he could be playing for a different club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

So, what is Hart? The guy who put up 2.83/.917 in 31 games in 18-19, the guy who put up 2.42/.914 in 43 games in 19-20 or the 3.67/.877 in 27 games last season behind a team that a) quit and b) didn't fare much better in front of Elliott or Lyon?

Maybe he's the guy who put up 2.88/.905 in 95 career games (i.e. two seasons worth of starts).  Meaning we don't know what he is but we're paying him as if we know his best season is the one we are going to get.  He certainly looked like a promising prospect and is very young still, but even in his best season (and especially in the playoffs) was incredibly inconsistent (i.e. pitch a shut out one start, get pulled from his next).

7 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

It's not a terrible strategy on a goalie who's done it at every level, including the first year plus at the NHL level.   You don't pay him now and wait for him to show what he's already done when he 1) wasn't playing behind garbage and 2) wasn't a kid completely isolated for a year due to COVID-19 then you end up paying through the nose.

This actually seems like a no-brainer.

• Like 1

It's almost as if human psychology doesn't apply because someone plays hockey.

Here's a kid who his entire time as a 22 year old and some 21 is--if he's following dictate--sequestered to his apartment and to his hotel room, away from his family and his counselor, etc.  Someone who until then was very mentally/emotionally dependent upon both.

And we wonder why he ended up struggling.

All this behind arguably the worst defense in the league (which, yes, a circumstance he ultimately exacerbated).

"He's a professional!"  Yeah, screw that. He's also a human. And a kid.  There are a lot of professionals in all walks who struggled with the work from home.  He'll be fine. He was before.  He will be again.

There's no reason to believe this is Steve Sax syndrome. I mean, it could be, but there's no reason to come to that conclusion yet.  And there's no reason to blur stats with obvious correlation to outside forces with stats previously and argue "but... Career!"

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

Well only time will tell if the kid can bounce back from a wake up call?  

So do the Flyers make the playoffs? It actualy may depend on this guy Hart.  I know they are not as good as the Islanders right now.  But they have gotten a pure sniper in Atkinson, (do not expect him to backcheck).  The only backchecking he will do is a back check to his bench when winded.  He is a sniper.  He can get you 30-35 on a good year. So take it. And now you have the biggest, baddest,  meanest SOB in the league on your blue line.  My boy Risto.  And yes, I still love him.  There is actually a guy in Orange and Black that I like  One Rasmus Ristolainen.  You just got way tougher. And he can put a few in the net and set up some too.  Just dont expect him to play stay home D.  LOL.  Forget about it.  

Edited by pilldoc
unecessary comment deleted out / edited out the trolling nature of the comment

3 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Well only time will tell if the kid can bounce back from a wake up call?  

Allow me to come over here and "piss in your pool for a change".  lOL.  Ha.  I cant take it.  I am actually laughing for the first time in a while.  I can see the mean ass faces Pilldoc and the mods have.  Gee, its ok to piss on the Sabres all day and night.  But enter the hallowed halls of the Flyers online forum, and do so at your own risk!!!  Ha.  So do the Flyers make the playoffs? It actualy may depend on this guy Hart.  I know they are not as good as the Islanders right now.  But they have gotten a pure sniper in Atkinson, (do not expect him to backcheck).  The only backchecking he will do is a back check to his bench when winded.  He is a sniper.  He can get you 30-35 on a good year. So take it. And now you have the biggest, baddest,  meanest SOB in the league on your blue line.  My boy Risto.  And yes, I still love him.  There is actually a guy in Orange and Black that I like  One Rasmus Ristolainen.  You just got way tougher. And he can put a few in the net and set up some too.  Just dont expect him to play stay home D.  LOL.  Forget about it.  

You've pissed in our pool plenty of times Rick. Don't pretend you haven't. It's the reason you get it back...in spades.

The "pure sniper' you speak of scored 27 goals...in his last two seasons.  He has scored 35 and 41 but his average over his career is just over 20. I think his sniper days are behind him. 

And your boy Risto, can put a few in the net. Very few. 46 in his entire 8 year NHL career.

I'm hoping most of the guys on the Flyers are going to rebound from the season they had last year. 

• Like 1