Flyers at the trade deadline

flyercanuck

Buyers or sellers?

Of course we should be sellers. But we won't be because Fletcher was brought in to go for it like he always did in Minnesota. Though they never ever came even close to "it".

Came across this beaut on HF boards by a guy called Pantokrator. Thought he totally nailed it on Fletchers/Homers modus operandi....

Enjoy

"Remember, the Flyers live in Nietzsche's Eternal Recurrence:

No Flyers will be available. They will go on a run in late Winter and early Spring to give Fletcher a belief that the team has a shot at the playoffs. He will make a few lame pick ups at the deadline - Nate Thompson clones to go with our current Nate Thompson, using up middle round draft picks - so that the team will go into the off season with a fake belief they are not that bad, which will allow them to sign Mike Yeo as long term coach to insure that the team will perpetually be crap.

All upcoming UFAs will leave for greener pastures, leaving the Flyers with nothing to show for it.

In the offseason, Fletcher will sign every player who is available who one time played for the Minnesota Wild, as long as they have 10 years of experience and are retired or in the minors, or haven't played more than 50 games as a NHLer. Kris Foucault, Stephane Vieilleux, Tom Gilbert, and Torrey Mitchell will all sign with the Flyers to take up space that could be played by younger players with at least a chance at maybe having a future in the league.

Next season, the team will go into a slump of losing at least 10 games in a row, but will then win 8 in a row in January giving the team hope they will make the playoffs, only to fall short . He will make a few lame pick ups at the deadline - Patrick Brown clones to go with our current Patrick Brown, using up a middle round draft picks - so that the team will go into the off season with a fake belief they are not that bad, which will allow them to keep Mike Yeo as long term coach to insure that the team will perpetually be crap.

All upcoming UFAs will leave for greener pastures, leaving the Flyers with nothing to show for it.

In the offseason, Fletcher will sign every player who is available who one time played for the Minnesota Wild, as long as they have 10 years of experience and are retired or haven't played more than 50 games as a NHLer. Zenon Konopka, Ryan Carter, Justin Fontaine, and Tyler Graovac will all sign with the Flyers to take up space that could be played by younger players with at least a chance at maybe having a future in the league.

That following season, the team will go into a slump of losing at least 10 games in a row, but will then win 8 in a row in January giving the team hope they will make the playoffs, only to fall short . He will make a few lame pick ups at the deadline - Nick Seeler clones to go with our current Nick Seeler, using up a middle round draft picks - so that the team will go into the off season with a fake belief they are not that bad, which will allow them to keep Mike Yeo as long term coach to insure that the team will perpetually be crap.

See a pattern here? Yes, it is the pattern of eternal crapness. As a Flyers fan for over 45 years, there will be no end. It must always be this way. This is the way. "

• Haha 3

I am going to take the path not oft traveled. I think they will be sellers. CF is the next head to go in the guillotine, he has to know this. Yeo after that, or at the same time. 

Giroux will be traded for a top prospect, and pick(s). JVR will be dealt for whatever it takes to get rid of him. I also think another player that many here covet will be dealt. Laughton maybe, or Lindblom, possibly TK

Other dead weight will be also cleared out. By next season, the nucleus will be Coots, Provy, Ellis, Farabee, Atkinson, Risto and Hart

29 minutes ago, CoachX said:

CF is the next head to go in the guillotine, he has to know this. Yeo after that, or at the same time.

I'm telling you Yeo is next to go and then Rick Tocchet come on down and then yes if that doesn't fix it then Chuckles is out of here.

Right now as long as Chuckles is doing what he is being advised to do he is safe....

....it is when they are out of scape goats is when he should be nervous.

Right now the bullseye is on Yeo he has about 15 games or you could see them pull the trigger before the end of the year.

:BrownBag:

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm telling you Yeo is next to go and then Rick Tocchet come on down and then yes if that doesn't fix it then Chuckles is out of here.

Right now as long as Chuckles is doing what he is being advised to do he is safe....

....it is when they are out of scape goats is when he should be nervous.

Right now the bullseye is on Yeo he has about 15 games or you could see them pull the trigger before the end of the year.

:BrownBag:

The fact that Chuckles head coach is a guy he already fired shows his brilliance as a GM.

• Uggh... 1

They damn well better be sellers.

Hopefully Fletcher is fired by then, then maybe we can get some decent assets back. If Fletcher is still here we will be lucky to get a bag of pucks and half a roll of tape.

11 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Buyers or sellers?

Of course we should be sellers. But we won't be because Fletcher was brought in to go for it like he always did in Minnesota. 

Of course the Flyers should be sellers but will they that remains to be seen. Most Flyers fans want them to be sellers but knowing Fletcher he'll **** it up like he did in Minnesota.

6 hours ago, CoachX said:

By next season, the nucleus will be Coots, Provy, Ellis, Farabee, Atkinson, Risto and Hart

This is a team that can be disregarded in the preseason.

4 hours ago, radoran said:

I'm hoping you're right, but I have this feeling that Humperdinck Lives

What I posted is not what I think they will do, but what they should do.

• Like 2

Sadly, our drafting and player development are sub-par.  See below:

Bad Scouting And Lack Of Player Development: The Real Reasons For The Flyers’ Failures Over The Years – Flyers Nitty Gritty

I don't think management can face the reality of how deep the dog doo is with this squad.  Even if they did, the picks would be lousy and their development might be worse.

• Like 2

"they haven’t been able to produce an elite star for the Flyers since selecting Claude Giroux some sixteen years ago"

The truth is they never really intended to draft Giroux...

"the team’s blatant misses when they are four to five years removed from the draft (like when Ron Hextall took German Rubtsov in 2016 in the first round followed up by Pascal Laberge who he took with the 36th selection that same year). This is especially true after the kind of success Chicago has had with Alex DeBrincat who was taken 39th overall that same year but it goes beyond that."

The truth is that DeBrincat is the ONLY player taken after Rubustov that has made any impact and EVERY team passed on him at least once.

The article's analysis isn't WRONG, just those few quibbles...

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Hart, Farabee, Provorov. Thats it. The rest are up for grabs. Including all the scouts and hockey ops personnel. Anything can happen. Sooner the better.

and get every elite player that's on the market, i dont care how much they pay for them and play the youth to save salary cap. it's time to to go big or go home.

56 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

Hart, Farabee, Provorov. Thats it. The rest are up for grabs. Including all the scouts and hockey ops personnel. Anything can happen. Sooner the better.

I would take Provorov off that list and add Frost. Provorov has struggled ever since playing Montreal in the playoffs two years ago. D that log his minutes fetch a lot on the market. I think Frost is going to turn out to be a very good player.

Edited by albertaflyer
change

49 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

D that log his minutes fetch a lot on the market.

Ok.

Now i need to hear your plan on how to fill the #1 defenseman hole that would be clearly in the line up now i'll wait for your plan...

1 hour ago, albertaflyer said:

I would take Provorov off that list and add Frost. Provorov has struggled ever since playing Montreal in the playoffs two years ago. D that log his minutes fetch a lot on the market. I think Frost is going to turn out to be a very good player.

Someone else just pointed how awful yhe flyers have been drafting players and having them develop into NHL stars. Why would you give up a proven player in Provy, for a project player that couldn't crack the line up out of camp?

1 minute ago, albertaflyer said:

Sorry Provorov is not a number 1 D. Guys Like Hedmen are number 1 D men.

yeah, i really think the most of these players that have been for more than 5 years here, they need a fresh start not just for us but for their sake as well. we need new blood on this team.

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Why would you give up a proven player in Provy

The thing about "burn it all down" is that there does have to be some sort of foundation to begin a "rebuild"

I would be biased towards keeping a 24-year-old, top pair defender in that foundation. And, for that matter, they have three defencemen signed for next season.

Anybody over 25 would be fair game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, radoran said:

The thing about "burn it all down" is that there does have to be some sort of foundation to begin a "rebuild"

I would be biased towards keeping a 24-year-old, top pair defender in that foundation. And, for that matter, they have three defencemen signed for next season.

Anybody over 25 would be fair game.

But realistically speaking, other than his age, is there anything else speaks in his favor?  The reality is, he struggled and continues struggling, especially in his own zone.  I am not suggesting he is totally useless.  And I am not discounting the fact that offensively, the team is bad, which, inevitably, will affect the defensemen' performance.  But at the very least, the Flyers should think long and hard and ask themselves whether Provorov really belongs in the "foundation".  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

But realistically speaking, other than his age, is there anything else speaks in his favor?  The reality is, he struggled and continues struggling, especially in his own zone.  I am not suggesting he is totally useless.  And I am not discounting the fact that offensively, the team is bad, which, inevitably, will affect the defensemen' performance.  But at the very least, the Flyers should think long and hard and ask themselves whether Provorov really belongs in the "foundation".  

Realistically, if you get a great offer for him, you take it.

But guys that play his minutes don't grow on trees. He needs a solid, reliable partner and that guy simply doesn't exist on the active roster. I think he showed that with Niskanen and Ellis was supposed to be "that guy."

I'd hope that Ellis comes back in early 2022 and they get a chance to see how the chemistry is as a top pair. If it's not there, there's certainly time before the trade deadline to make that decision.

In the end, I'm not sure that it matters because I really don't think that they are going to gut this roster. Happy to be proven wrong. Blissful. Ecstatic.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

But at the very least, the Flyers should think long and hard and ask themselves whether Provorov really belongs in the "foundation".  

Sure...I mean it only took them FIFTY years to draft a defenceman as good as him. (actually, longer) No doubt they can get another anytime they want. 

• Like 2