Game 43: Flyers at Islanders; 1/25/22 @ 7:30, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

We come into the game as underogs; the Islanders are -150.  The computer prediction is 3-1.  FYI:

Recent Betting Trends

Flyers are 16-42 in their last 58 games as an underdog.

Flyers are 3-8 in their last 11 Tuesday games.

Flyers are 7-20 in their last 27 in the third game of a 3-in-4 situation.

Islanders are 8-0 in their last 8 games as a favorite.

Islanders are 4-1 in their last 5 vs. Metropolitan.

If I understand this correctly, it doesn't pay to expect an upset.  Meanwhile, the Islanders are improving from an abysmal start.  I suspect Yandle's record will be overshadowed by another loss. 

Giroux gets the Flyers on the board first. Exciting isn't it?

2-0 Flyers lasted less than a minute and now...tie game 2-2. Let's see if they can make it to the break w/out giving up another one.

edit: I guess everyone is just riveted to the game...that's why no one is posting...ya I'm sure that's it. 🙃

Edited by GratefulFlyers

14 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Gerry Mayhew flying all over the place, rewarded with a pretty goal. If the kid doesn’t calm down he’s going to find himself in the lineup permanently :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

You know, while Gerald Mayhew won't be much to cure what ails the Flyers (he is a 29 yr old minor league journeyman after all), hopefully he turns into somewhat of a late bloomer type for Philly at the NHL level because he DOES play with some fire and energy.

Pretty good AHL numbers, but just hasn't had that production translate over to the NHL.
My guess is...his mind and spirit are willing, but the NHL level speed and talent are above his paygrade for the most part.

Still though, on a team that seems to be mailing it in most nights, should be good to see a guy like him give it everything he has.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fizz said:

Question, has the home attendance suffered with the team sucking?

Not sure if I lived close I would pay to see this club play.

Yes, stated attendance is in the 15K range (WFC capacity is about 20K) but butts in seats are reportedly at half.  It goes beyond COVID. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Yes, stated attendance is in the 15K range (WFC capacity is about 20K) but butts in seats are reportedly at half.  It goes beyond COVID. 

That's the best news I've heard in awhile coming out of FlyersLand. I hope Clarke, Holmgren and what's-his-name get the message: your product stinks we're not buying it anymore.

28 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

That's the best news I've heard in awhile coming out of FlyersLand. I hope Clarke, Holmgren and what's-his-name get the message: your product stinks we're not buying it anymore.

I'm curious why more American teams don't relocate to Canada. It's a lot less stressful to run an NHL team when you know that win or lose, the arena will be full. 

Hamilton Flyers anyone?  You could go 0-82-0 and the city will build you a 20,000 seat arena (fully paid for by taxpayers) and it'll be full from now until the end of time.

Even after all the ice melts and the human race has gone extinct, that arena in Hamilton will be sitting there underwater filled with 20,000 human skeletons sitting in the seats anxiously waiting to cheer for their 0-82-0 team. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'm curious why more American teams don't relocate to Canada. It's a lot less stressful to run an NHL team when you know that win or lose, the arena will be full. 

Hamilton Flyers anyone?  You could go 0-82-0 and the city will build you a 20,000 seat arena (fully paid for by taxpayers) and it'll be full from now until the end of time.

Even after all the ice melts and the human race has gone extinct, that arena in Hamilton will be sitting there underwater filled with 20,000 human skeletons sitting in the seats anxiously waiting to cheer for their 0-82-0 team. 

Dear WOW:

Yes, Hamilton would probably be financially viable.  But:

1) Toronto won't allow it, even with sizable entry fees;

2)  There's some concern a Southern Ontario team might hurt Buffalo; and

3)  Unlike Quebec City, the current arena would need rebuild or replacement.

I don't think Bettman will allow teams in the Sunbelt like Florida or Phoenix to relocate.  He needs a national footprint for TV revenue.  From my vantage, the only way we see another Canadian team is if the league goes to 34 teams and there is equality of conference size.  That was a prime driver of Vegas over Quebec (the latter was also viewed as challenged as a small market), and why they added Seattle.  

Best,

Howie

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'm curious why more American teams don't relocate to Canad

I for one look forward to Saint John vs. Saint John's

The 22nd and 31st metro markets in Canada.

I mean, the 130k people in Saint John can simply go to 6 games each per season to sell out the 20,000 seat stadium that their tax money paid for and the sponsorship revenue will be off the charts. That would only be a $2,400 annual ticket commitment at $100 each for a family of four. Perfectly reasonable.

No one will even notice the difference and Rogers will pay big money for the national TV contract. More than enough to provide for support for teams in Brantford and Moncton.

It's all so simple...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, radoran said:

I for one look forward to Saint John vs. Saint John's

The 22nd and 31st metro markets in Canada.

I mean, the 130k people in Saint John can simply go to 6 games each per season to sell out the 20,000 seat stadium that their tax money paid for and the sponsorship revenue will be off the charts. That would only be a $2,400 annual ticket commitment at $100 each for a family of four. Perfectly reasonable.

No one will even notice the difference and Rogers will pay big money for the national TV contract. More than enough to provide for support for teams in Brantford and Moncton.

It's all so simple...

I was being humorous with my original comment, but there is truth to it.  :)

If Saint John's got an NHL team they would probably close down all other public services (police, schools, hospital, etc.) to pay for it and people would be okay with it. Fans would take out a second mortgage on their house to pay the $2400 ticket prices.  🤣