Ivan Fedotov

Okay I didn't realize an ELC carried any weight in Moscow - or anywhere else for that matter. Obviously it means he can't play in the K next year but why are you so sure Fedotov will be allowed to leave? I'm asking not arguing.

Edited by pilldoc

On 5/10/2022 at 9:06 AM, GratefulFlyers said:

Okay I didn't realize an ELC carried any weight in Moscow - or anywhere else for that matter. Obviously it means he can't play in the K next year but why are you so sure Fedotov will be allowed to leave? I'm asking not arguing.

We'll see what happens.

Nashville signed Askarov today too.

Something has to give.

• 2 weeks later...

Regardless what Dillabaugh does or does not do for Carter Hart, I feel Fedotov will be a help to Hart's game with him in the mix as another young goalie to add pressure to Hart. Competition seems to bring out the best in players and goalies it does quite a bit in my opinion. 

With Martin Jones, I didn't feel Carter Hart felt like there was much of a competition because Martin Jones was more or less a short term bandaid back up goalie and I think Hart knew that. With Fedotov that is not the case. 

• 11 months later...

Fedotov Staying in Russia

It appears that one of the most unexpected and frightening stories in the NHL finally has a resolution. Russ Cohen of Sirius XM reported that Ivan Fedotov is expected to return to the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) for the rest of his career after completing his required service to the Russian military.

The Flyers selected the 6-foot-7 netminder in the seventh round in 2015. He starred in the 2022 Winter Olympics, helping the Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) to a silver medal, and in the KHL in three full-time seasons beginning in 2019-20. He signed a one-year, entry-level deal with Philadelphia on May 7, 2022. However, he was taken to a military base by Russian law enforcement officers just ahead of his planned move to the United States, his agent J.P. Barry told the Associated Press.

The extreme circumstances in world politics will affect future decisions made by NHL teams. Matvei Michkov is under contract in the KHL through the 2025-26 season. Most draft experts consider the 18-year-old forward one of the four best prospects in the 2023 NHL Entry Draft. However, teams will need to think twice about the possibility of international complications ruining Michkov’s chance to play in the NHL.

If he slips outside the top four, other teams will have the opportunity to take a risk on a talented player falling because of circumstances outside of his control. If the Flyers don’t move up in the NHL Draft Lottery on May 8, they’ll pick seventh, eighth, or ninth. Would the scars of the Fedotov saga prevent them from taking the best available player?

18 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Would the scars of the Fedotov saga prevent them from taking the best available player?

Yep. Absolutely would for me.

No way I take the kid after the luck I have seen first hand the Flyers have been dealt ***Nolan Patrick*** nope I would be spend the 1st on the next best kid let someone else roll that dice.

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yep. Absolutely would for me.

No way I take the kid after the luck I have seen first hand the Flyers have been dealt ***Nolan Patrick*** nope I would be spend the 1st on the next best kid let someone else roll that dice.

Ya, I'm kind of leaning that way myself after reading this. 

24 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, I'm kind of leaning that way myself after reading this. 

Just can't afford to miss on another 1st round pick.

Misses that have set them back so far.

(Not to blame any GM just to list is all).

Sam Morin

German Rubstov

Nolan Patrick

Jay O' Brien

Can't afford another wasted 1st right now.

Good to hear Fedotov is out the army ...not that we'll see him in North America anytime soon but at least he's not facing bullets anymore.

re: Michkov - the Flyers can't afford to pick a guy with a giant question mark next to his name. There's other guys who could help the Flyers in a few years anyway. I wonder if Will Smith with last until #7 - he'd be my pick.

49 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Good to hear Fedotov is out the army ...not that we'll see him in North America anytime soon but at least he's not facing bullets anymore.

re: Michkov - the Flyers can't afford to pick a guy with a giant question mark next to his name. There's other guys who could help the Flyers in a few years anyway. I wonder if Will Smith with last until #7 - he'd be my pick.

It doesn't look like we'll see Fedotov allowed over, period. 

Smith won't last til our pick. Especially with Michkov likely falling, Smith probably goes top 4, 5 at worst. 

Bedard

Fantilli

Carlsson

Smith

Michkov?

Benson

Dvorsky

Moore

Barlow

Leonard

Reinbacher

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Guess this might be a wrap on his NHL career.

However if he ever wants to play in the NHL then the Flyers still own his rights.

If I'm reading into this correctly, this is the first shot fired between the KHL and NHL with a lack of a deal between the leagues in place. The CKSA team has chosen to not honour Fedetovs Flyer contract. Sucks, but it leaves the door wide open for NHL teams to do the same. Could potentially work out for a certain Russian superstar to come over early? 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Sucks, but it leaves the door wide open for NHL teams to do the same. Could potentially work out for a certain Russian superstar to come over early? 

Maybe!?!?

• Like 1

This is exactly why, you don't draft Michkov at pick 7. I realize I'm in the minority and if it were just about talent, I would have picked him over any player not named Bedard, in this draft. It is more than fathomable, that you won't see either of these very talented Russian players in a Flyers jersey. Yet another potential setback for this franchise. I mean..it's like drafting Nolan Patrick at #2, although he was the CONSENSUS pick in that draft, although in Patrick's case it was the injury issues. Sometimes, it just ain't worth the risk involved.

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

I mean..it's like drafting Nolan Patrick at #2, although he was the CONSENSUS pick in that draft, although in Patrick's case it was the injury issues.

There was nothing in Patrick's injury history to suggest career ending migraines.

We never got the chance to complain about his gammy groin...

Michkov is a calculated risk. We'll see if it pays off.

• Like 1

This is exactly why, you don't draft Michkov at pick 7. I realize I'm in the minority and if it were just about talent, I would have picked him over any player not named Bedard, in this draft. It is more than fathomable, that you won't see either of these very talented Russian players in a Flyers jersey. Yet another potential setback for this franchise. I mean..it's like drafting Nolan Patrick at #2, although he was the CONSENSUS pick in that draft, although in Patrick's case it was the injury issues. Sometimes, it just ain't worth the risk involved.

Leaving out one key thing here...Michkov WANTS to be a Flyer. What are you suggesting. .the Russians keep him under lock and key at gunpoint forever? 

If Jimmy Devellano could do it with Federov way back in the day, I'm sure Comcast can hire a Seal team at some point!

• Like 1

Im a lot more optimistic of michkov coming over after he's already come over for interviews. And said he wants to play for Philly.

Of course Putin could put up an iron curtain tomorrow and nobody gets out. Or the oligarchs could say enough, and have Putin poisoned.

I think the guy is worth taking the risk.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, radoran said:

We never got the chance to complain about his gammy groin...

Yeah...we did or at least I did, anyway. Both sides of Patrick's groin were injured before the Flyers drafted him at #2. There were red flags on this kid, and they stupidly and (frankly) arrogantly drafted him, anyway. He was the consensus #2 pick, with a huge asterisk. Once again, they act as if they're smarter than the 5...(no way the Hawks were drafting Michkov over Bedard, so I don't count them) teams that drafted other players. None were Russian, if I remember right. I hope the gamble pays off, but I'm very nervous.

• Like 1