Flyers after Fletcher, who would we want as the next GM?

mojo1917

After a nice start where Tortorella's conditioning and exceptional goaltending buoyed a depleted roster, it appears reality has set in for the Flyers.

They are not good.

They try. 

There are a couple of young guys who are decent, but the team is a mess and the prospects for improvement look bleak.

There are scenarios where the Flyers can, with some luck and shrewd moves, become relevant in the city and league in the not too long term. 

After giving ol' Fletch the benefit of the doubt for some moves that didn't pan out and some injuries, I am certain now he is not the man to "fix this".

My question for those who remain, is who would be a good candidate to replace him?

I am thinking poaching a "blocked" guy from a winning organization would be a great place to start. 

Boston has John Ferguson who was given the keys to the Leaves® kingdom too early but has been around for a sustained period of winning in by the Bruins.

The Avalanche have built an impressive team over 10 years Joe Sakic seems firmly entrenched, maybe his No.2 pencil Chris MacFarland?

The Lightning have been very good to great over the last 8 or so years, anyone from that organization available?

Cammie Granato? she's only a scout, but she's from a great hockey family and has been around the game all her life. Might she have some ideas ?

I heard twitter reply guy, Hot-Take-Russ Joy say the next GM needs to be an "all-time" hire, I took it to mean when they are done they have trophies in the lobby as proof. He's right, the next person needs to be shrewd and visionary...and have some gravitas to not let the coach bully them.

The Flyers are in a tough spot, who is a candidate to lead them out of it?

I am aware of the senior guys being poisonous douche nozzles etcetera. So, I'm not interested in reading for the 1000th time that they need to go before....yada yada yada. So save your fingers from typing that thought.  It's been heard. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I am aware of the senior guys being poisonous douche nozzles etcetera. So, I'm not interested in reading for the 1000th time that they need to go before....yada yada yada. So save your fingers from typing that thought.  It's been heard. 

But it's not in this thread and what if we forget???

Asking for a friend...

:beer:

• Haha 1

Until Clarke and Holmgren, Lombardi and Scott retire... it always begins. Some actually see them getting fired. I don't.

I've always thought the puppet masters theory a bit overheated. The old guard certainly influences the GM process; that is their job after all. But I hope (and believe) that all the VPs allow the GM to ... well, GM. Recently it seems 5 years is the VP's breaking point after that it's Goodbye Ron. Fletcher is now at 5 years so hopefully he gets the ax too. This year.

So to mojo's question I have only one answer: anyone - and I mean ANYone but Fletcher will be an improvement. Period, full stop.

• Good Post 1

in the very next post. LMFAO

the internet ladies and gentleman, the best and brightest minds forging a new future. 

I hope everyone has a nice Thanksgiving holiday if you're in the US and a good late November weekend if you're not.

the internet is undefeated.png

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 3
  • Good Post 1

33 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

You know reading comprehension is not a strong suit here among us right....i was getting a leg up on it.

All we will be missing is SCFlyguy to come in and set us all straight where they messed up and how we should fix it...

:DancingGrape:

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

So to mojo's question I have only one answer: anyone - and I mean ANYone but Fletcher will be an improvement. Period, full stop.

This ^^^^^ all day, every day, and twice on Sunday. Right from the day he was hired.

Ferguson or MacFarland would be fine. Darche from Tampa? 

Or hey...ex-Flyer Scott Mellanby is available!!!!! 😆

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

27 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd be trashed on champagne if he was.

Champagne?

For real surely you have something stronger.

Give me the maximum dose (you know what i'm talking about) it takes to kill me and just dial it back a hair...

:salute:

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Champagne?

For real surely you have something stronger.

Give me the maximum dose (you know what i'm talking about]it takes to kill me and just dial it back a hair...

:salute:

That's what I'm drinking now. 

When that asshat is gone I won't need it anymore.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mkscrewy said:

IS HE GONE???

No but, the building is empty the team is pulling guys from concessions to play on the 4th line.

It's year 4+ of the Chuck Fletcher experience, it hasn't been, you know, awesome. If it were us showing our asses like he has been, we'd be shitcanned by now.

I think by the Winter Solstice holidays with the team well under .500 we should all be in receipt of the merriest of Christmas gifts. 

I can't see where a functioning corporation would just let this mess ride. 

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

All we will be missing is SCFlyguy to come in and set us all straight where they messed up and how we should fix it...

Well see, here's a thread where a staggering intellect could provide some good options.

I mean there's not much going on with this team to talk about-

They're bad, guys aren't seizing the moment.

The Hextall draft picks are just okay NHL players not cornerstone guys. 

Perhaps speculating on the future Jefe could be a nice diversion from watching guys get slaughtered while putting forth an honest effort. 

Edited by mojo1917

8 hours ago, radoran said:

So, there's this guy with experience in these sorts of situations.

He was the Deck Chair Rearrangement Officer...

titanic night GIF

In this case, poor Carter Hart is the guy holding on to the rail, but eventually can't hold anymore and goes over and hits the propeller on the way down lol

https://vfxblogsite.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/propguy.gif?w=349propguy.gif?w=349

Edited by J0e Th0rnton

4 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

In this case, poor Carter Hart is the guy holding on to the rail, but eventually can't hold anymore and goes over and hits the propeller on the way down lol

https://vfxblogsite.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/propguy.gif?w=349propguy.gif?w=349

Carter Hart is captaining the Carpathia by the time this happens...

I wouldn't hate Ferguson as a choice. 

Another guy who would be interesting imo is Jason Karmanos. 

Played a big part of the penguins success and is a big analytics guy. Very unlikely choice for this job as he's pretty much antithetical to the old guard here but that's why it would be interesting. 

I'd also be happy to hand the whole s##tshow over to Rick Dudley and let him try to sort it out. 

• Uggh... 1

Crazy as this is gonna sound, I think it would be the ULTIMATE "Didn't see THAT coming" type move for Philadelphia:

Say the Flyers like the job John Tortorella has been doing with the team in terms of identity, accountability, and competitiveness....and they KNOW Torts has a certain shelf life before players in the room start tuning him out.....

What would it be like to take Torts off the head coaching carousel and give him his first GM assignment??

Think of it:
He'll have less direct contact with players, so the fear of the on-ice talent 'tuning him out' after a short while is removed, yet he will be in a position to continue to shape the roster with the types of players he feels offer the most competitive bang for the buck, would bring a lunch pail bucket mentality to the FO, would DEFINITELY hold his scouts and development teams accountable for their work, and be in a position to hire a coach that will also keep players competitive, yet with a different voice different from his own, to keep players motivated.

I would think after all these years of improving train wreck teams the man would have an idea of what works and what doesn't, and could bring that to a higher level of operation while not having to butt heads directly with players like he eventually does.
If he starts butting heads with office management, hey, based on what I see fans here talking about, that may not be a bad thing for him to ruffle some feathers and move people out of their long time comfort zones in the upper management areas.

Too many re-tread GM's (as well as head coaches) out there and many teams have taken to giving fresh, mostly unproven individuals shots at the head coaching seat.....it's about time more teams started doing the same with the GM seats.
Would Tortorella actually make a good GM though?

I don't really know.
But we know Fletcher isn't the answer and talk of handing the reigns of GM over to a "new face" seems rampant, despite the same unsure-if-he-is-the-right-guy take....why not give it to a man who has been around long enough, and has fixed broken franchises enough times a shot at that chair and see what he does wielding more power to build a roster?

Might be worth a shot to gauge Torts' interest in taking on such a challenge.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Crazy as this is gonna sound, I think it would be the ULTIMATE "Didn't see THAT coming" type move for Philadelphia:

Say the Flyers like the job John Tortorella has been doing with the team in terms of identity, accountability, and competitiveness....and they KNOW Torts has a certain shelf life before players in the room start tuning him out.....

What would it be like to take Torts off the head coaching carousel and give him his first GM assignment??

Think of it:
He'll have less direct contact with players, so the fear of the on-ice talent 'tuning him out' after a short while is removed, yet he will be in a position to continue to shape the roster with the types of players he feels offer the most competitive bang for the buck, would bring a lunch pail bucket mentality to the FO, would DEFINITELY hold his scouts and development teams accountable for their work, and be in a position to hire a coach that will also keep players competitive, yet with a different voice different from his own, to keep players motivated.

I would think after all these years of improving train wreck teams the man would have an idea of what works and what doesn't, and could bring that to a higher level of operation while not having to butt heads directly with players like he eventually does.
If he starts butting heads with office management, hey, based on what I see fans here talking about, that may not be a bad thing for him to ruffle some feathers and move people out of their long time comfort zones in the upper management areas.

Too many re-tread GM's (as well as head coaches) out there and many teams have taken to giving fresh, mostly unproven individuals shots at the head coaching seat.....it's about time more teams started doing the same with the GM seats.

I don't really know.
But we know Fletcher isn't the answer and talk of handing the reigns of GM over to a "new face" seems rampant, despite the same unsure-if-he-is-the-right-guy take....why not give it to a man who has been around long enough, and has fixed broken franchises enough times a shot at that chair and see what he does wielding more power to build a roster?

Crazy enough it just might work.

Make It So Star Trek GIF

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Think of it:

I don't really know.

Well. Tortorella is already a better GM than Fletcher.