What happened to Flyers fans?

icehole

39 minutes ago, icehole said:

I'm glad to see some of us aren't going to watch this garbage. I'm starting to wonder if this is going to become a permanent thing for me though. I used to hate the people that would say "I'm a big hockey fan but I won't really watch until the playoffs". I might be that guy now though even if or when the team is good again.

The NHL has a problem and ratings are dropping. The flyers and other teams have been bad before, but I still watched to be entertained. I think I watched every game in 06/07 (?) when they were the worst team in franchise history. I still remember being entertained. The flyers could be down 3 or 4 goals but I'd hang in until the end to see how they'd react. I know how they'll react now though, and it's not something I have to keep watching to see.

The league is focused on speed and talent and has lost the element of animosity and physical violence. I can watch every speed and talent highlight on YouTube in less than 10 minutes the next day. There's no "in the moment" emotions that go with those plays, so there's no need to watch them live. 82 games is also way too many in this day and age. In the days of 4 network channels or 100 cable channels that never had anything good on, 82 games was fine. There's just to much out there to entertain me these days. I'm not going to watch 82 games of the same thing night in and night out.

I'm kind of scared you're not wrong.  I mean, I'm not even tempted to tune in.  I grew up on Cup teams and a team often in the finals or losing on a choke job (the Smurfs say hello).  

Maybe i was just spoiled.

But as you alluded to, I also grew up following an emotional, violent sport.  They've neutered that in favor of ice capades but without the nifty costumes (apologies to the Sharks).

I know there are those "fans" watching for "skills" and truly exciting things like the shootout bbbbbbbuuu  tttttt   ttthhh,,..,.....

Sorry, fell asleep there for a second.  Take the nets down and put on Frozen and Nutcracker costumes and these people will still be highly entertained.

I know it's the 21st century and safety and all that--and I get it--but we've taken away the brutal nature of the game aaaaaannnnnnddddd....zzzz*zzz

Sorry.  Can't help it. I'm suddenly sleepy.

I think someday when the Flyers are good again, if the floor nurse is willing to wait until the game comes on to wake me up to give me my tapioca pudding laced with my Lipitor, Lisinopril, and Leqembi, I'll probably bandwagon like I do the Phillies.

I'm hoping that's not the case.  Hopefully, they're vaguely entertaining again (both the Flyers and the league) so I can do the above as soon as next season.

Just had my first kid (son, name TBD) on Friday. Watched part of the devils game holding him in my arms Saturday. Turned the game off after the first period to not expose him to too much of this bs. I’ve been a fan since 1985. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

Just had my first kid (son, name TBD) on Friday. Watched part of the devils game holding him in my arms Saturday. Turned the game off after the first period to not expose him to too much of this bs. I’ve been a fan since 1985. 

Congratulations man!

That's awesome. The baby part not the the Flyers sucking.

Teen girl Mojo is about to choose where she wants to go to college...all of it from diapers to driving, is a wild, fun and ultimately fulfilling ride. I wish you all the best.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

Congrats, greatest moment of your life. You should name him Chuck!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'll probably bandwagon like I do the Phillies.

I do the same. Baseball is different to me though. Baseball isn't about the action on the field during the season. It's about seeing and smelling the grass, hearing the mits and bats, and relaxing with a beer. The playoffs are really the only time real competition kicks in.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, icehole said:

I do the same. Baseball is different to me though. Baseball isn't about the action on the field during the season. It's about seeing and smelling the grass, hearing the mits and bats, and relaxing with a beer. The playoffs are really the only time real competition kicks in.

Agree.  But for me it was always the sound of the blades on the ice, the puck hitting the stick blade from a pass or the sound of the slap shot; the "ooomph!" as someone is splattered into the boards.  Because 82 games is and always was too many (especially with the kiss your sister point for the tie or--more recently-- the loser point).  So many games against Arizona or Seattle, etc. are equally as pointless as the 3-game interleague series against Kansas City  (or ANY game against KC).  I'm with you:  162 games in baseball are about 70 too many.  And roughly 24 games are too many in the NHL.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I agree...and I'd bet that signing was all Holmgren and the beginning of the end for Hextall. JVR is about as anti-Hextall a player as there is. Big money for someone who plays a 10 foot game...I'm sure there was some headbutting going on with that signing. 

This is the assumption we make but I don't think there's any proof it was Holmgren. there was definitely pressure on Hextall to make them "win now" but whether or not they told him to sign JVR we may never know for sure. He might have just panicked under the stress of having to find a way to win right away and grabbed what was available. 

5 hours ago, radoran said:

"The problem" was that Giroux and Voracek simply weren't good enough to build a competitive team around.

Everything done in service of the idea that they were was doomed to failure.

Yup, as I've said in a few threads, we had a bunch of good 2nd liners but not enough true top end guys to make anything really work. 

let's face it, this team has never recovered from Carter Richards. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

This is the assumption we make but I don't think there's any proof it was Holmgren. there was definitely pressure on Hextall to make them "win now" but whether or not they told him to sign JVR we may never know for sure. He might have just panicked under the stress of having to find a way to win right away and grabbed what was available. 

Sure, but he fits the Flyer formula....wanted a big payday...ex-Flyer....great great grandmother had a neighbor from Minnesota.

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

This is the assumption we make but I don't think there's any proof it was Holmgren.

Nope. And there's no proof there's gravity.

This has Holmgren's signature all over it, but (legitimately agreeing) there is no proof.

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm kind of scared you're not wrong.  I mean, I'm not even tempted to tune in.  I grew up on Cup teams and a team often in the finals or losing on a choke job (the Smurfs say hello).  

Maybe i was just spoiled.

But as you alluded to, I also grew up following an emotional, violent sport.  They've neutered that in favor of ice capades but without the nifty costumes (apologies to the Sharks).

I know there are those "fans" watching for "skills" and truly exciting things like the shootout bbbbbbbuuu  tttttt   ttthhh,,..,.....

Sorry, fell asleep there for a second.  Take the nets down and put on Frozen and Nutcracker costumes and these people will still be highly entertained.

I know it's the 21st century and safety and all that--and I get it--but we've taken away the brutal nature of the game aaaaaannnnnnddddd....zzzz*zzz

Sorry.  Can't help it. I'm suddenly sleepy.

I think someday when the Flyers are good again, if the floor nurse is willing to wait until the game comes on to wake me up to give me my tapioca pudding laced with my Lipitor, Lisinopril, and Leqembi, I'll probably bandwagon like I do the Phillies.

I'm hoping that's not the case.  Hopefully, they're vaguely entertaining again (both the Flyers and the league) so I can do the above as soon as next season.

Back in the day the rivalries were way more instense, every game against the Rangers was a war and if they beat us, we would pummel them at the end of the game to send a message for the next game. To me , that’s far more exciting than the lame three on three OT and the shootout. There is no battling in front, no digging for pucks and cross checks. The hatred has been removed from the game, the players don’t hate each other and the fans don’t hate each other.  There is no fire and electricity in the air like in the old days, the playoffs were literally a war.Back in the day there were so many players I hated, I would be enraged and ready to kill when a cheap shot turd like Claude Lemeuix, Ulf Samuelson, Darcy Tucker or guys like that would hit someone from behind but never fight. When I looked at Matthew Barnaby and that damn smirk and his gold teeth, I just wanted to smash his face in with a sledgehammer. I can’t think of one player that I even dislike in todays game. Sure there are more skilled players but old time hockey was way more exciting. 

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Back in the day the rivalries were way more instense, every game against the Rangers was a war and if they beat us, we would pummel them at the end of the game to send a message for the next game. To me , that’s far more exciting than the lame three on three OT and the shootout. There is no battling in front, no digging for pucks and cross checks. The hatred has been removed from the game, the players don’t hate each other and the fans don’t hate each other.  There is no fire and electricity in the air like in the old days, the playoffs were literally a war.Back in the day there were so many players I hated, I would be enraged and ready to kill when a cheap shot turd like Claude Lemeuix, Ulf Samuelson, Darcy Tucker or guys like that would hit someone from behind but never fight. When I looked at Matthew Barnaby and that damn smirk and his gold teeth, I just wanted to smash his face in with a sledgehammer. I can’t think of one player that I even dislike in todays game. Sure there are more skilled players but old time hockey was way more exciting. 

Yep, couldn't agree more. I can't speak for Europe, but in North America hockey is an elitist sport. If you don't come from privilege you are not playing pro hockey. Part of the engineered poverty plan. Eliminate the competition so all the spoiled little brats can get all the plum jobs. The fact that kids are soft today and have the independent contractor mentality, in addition to the salary cap rivalries are gone from pro hockey. If Brad Marchand or the Tachuk boys played in the 70's or 80's they might be dead by this point in their careers. Their own teammates might have punched the crap out of them.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Yep, couldn't agree more. I can't speak for Europe, but in North America hockey is an elitist sport. If you don't come from privilege you are not playing pro hockey. Part of the engineered poverty plan. Eliminate the competition so all the spoiled little brats can get all the plum jobs. The fact that kids are soft today and have the independent contractor mentality, in addition to the salary cap rivalries are gone from pro hockey. If Brad Marchand or the Tachuk boys played in the 70's or 80's they might be dead by this point in their careers. Their own teammates might have punched the crap out of them.

Is this sarcasm? It's so far from the truth I'm thinking it has to be. 

12 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

The hatred has been removed from the game, the players don’t hate each other and the fans don’t hate each other.

That's exactly it. I have always loved fighting in hockey. Some people might think I'm a knuckle dragger for that. I hate fighting in today's game though because it's all staged and set up just to get a rise from the crowd. Nobody fights each other because of a bad hit or because they hate the other player. They talk about it and set it up. Then they dance around, grab each other, try to throw half hearted punches, then they tap each other and say "good fight" Nick D is the best example of this.

I think Allison actually had a fight the other night and you could tell they were angry.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, icehole said:

That's exactly it. I have always loved fighting in hockey. Some people might think I'm a knuckle dragger for that. I hate fighting in today's game though because it's all staged and set up just to get a rise from the crowd. Nobody fights each other because of a bad hit or because they hate the other player. They talk about it and set it up. Then they dance around, grab each other, try to throw half hearted punches, then they tap each other and say "good fight" Nick D is the best example of this.

I think Allison actually had a fight the other night and you could tell they were angry.

Simply put, there is no emotion in the sport. It's been completely neutered for the "skills competition!“ crowd.

It's the American Kennel Club dog show EIGHTY TWO TIMES A FRICKEN YEAR.

42 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Simply put, there is no emotion in the sport. It's been completely neutered for the "skills competition!“ crowd.

It's the American Kennel Club dog show EIGHTY TWO TIMES A FRICKEN YEAR.

Favorite team none?  No way are you getting away with that.  .Its the Flyers.  Hell, how does it feel to be bad like we have been for a long time.  We are finally doing something.  The Flyers will bounce back at some point.  But where the hell are the loyal fans?  The fair weather fans is what they wound up being.  I have suffered through thick and thin with the Bills and Sabres.  Some guys were posting in the football thread daily until that crap Super Bowl game. Now that is something to complain about.  Zebras deciding the outcome.  The Flyers are not good right now and I expect them to make trades.  But the complete absense of a fan base on their own damn website is shameful.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

But where the hell are the loyal fans?  The fair weather fans is what they wound up being.

I would not say that .....I am as die hard as they get, but until this cesspool of a FO moves onto greener pastures, nothing is gonna change.  Most of us would not mind the losing if there was an actual plan in place.   BUT ...there is NO plan in place and we have Claribell from the Howdy Doody show running this team.  I am just not gonna waste my time.

17 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Hell, how does it feel to be bad like we have been for a long time.

The Nutty Professor Dancing GIF by Laff

thanks for rubbing/pouring salt in an open wound .........

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

But the complete absense of a fan base on their own damn website is shameful.

We have beaten every topic to death a million times over.  There really is not much more to say until  the current FO regime is made to disappear into the Russian Gulags.

We get tired of repeating ourselves. ........  I said so in an above post ...I checked out a long time ago ......  I've been a fan going back to the early 80's (81-82).... I have been through thick and thin with this team.  Many of us on here have been loyal fans for years, but even we have had enough ....it gets tiring when WE SEE what needs to be changed but the FO is TOO STUPID and TOO ARROGANT not to change.

Most of us on here have had enough .....like I said.... we have beaten the same topics over and over like a dead horse.  There IS NOTHING else to talk about.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

Feb 1, 1959 (I was a senior in high school. and a Hershey Bears fan). Gordie Howe destroyed Rangers bad guy Lou Fontinato. Life magazine had aa 3 page spread the following week. The pictures from Lou’s hospital room showed a broke nose and a dislocated jaw. That’s the hockey I grew up with.

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I would not say that .....I am as die hard as they get, but until this cesspool of a FO moves onto greener pastures, nothing is gonna change.  Most of us would not mind the losing if there was an actual plan in place.   BUT ...there is NO plan in place and we have Claribell from the Howdy Doody show running this team.  I am just not gonna waste my time.

The Nutty Professor Dancing GIF by Laff

thanks for rubbing/pouring salt in an open wound .........

Hercules, Hercules, Hercules!

• Haha 1

Only the suits attend games. Real Flyers fans know that their ship is rudderless, and they're run by a bunch of idiotic clowns.

I found this, though. Maybe the admins will want to move this, to some other topic..I dunno. I had to post this, though..LMAO.

5 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Favorite team none?  No way are you getting away with that.  .Its the Flyers.  Hell, how does it feel to be bad like we have been for a long time.  We are finally doing something.  The Flyers will bounce back at some point.  But where the hell are the loyal fans?  The fair weather fans is what they wound up being.  I have suffered through thick and thin with the Bills and Sabres.  Some guys were posting in the football thread daily until that crap Super Bowl game. Now that is something to complain about.  Zebras deciding the outcome.  The Flyers are not good right now and I expect them to make trades.  But the complete absense of a fan base on their own damn website is shameful.

amen, they expect this organization to just pull a star out of their butt which isnt easy one way or another because of the salary cap and the draft lottery, sometimes you just have to be patient and take the bumps until the right players come along, it has nothing to do with managements and ownerships, it's the league, they made everything so difficult because of their rules.

heck if there was no cap, no lottery, i think the flyers would be in a better position to compete. heck the philadelphia eagles had to take their bumps until the right pieces came along and they finally won the sb. it's just how it is when it comes to the salary cap. flyers fanbase dont understand anything about the salary cap.