Game 66: Philadelphia Flyers at Pittsburgh Penguins; 3/11/23 @ 3:30 PM, ESPN+, ABC

Howie58

Greetings:

The Pens are favorites (-270).  They've taken 5 straight from us.  Of late, PIT has not played well against the Metro:

https://pickdawgz.com/nhl-picks/2023-03-11/flyers-vs-penguins-prediction-nhl-picks-3-11-23

NHL.com is showing Sandstrom versus Jarry.  Foerster is on the second line--must have made a good impression.  Laczynski is also in--Allison and Lemieux are out. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/philadelphia-flyers-pittsburgh-penguins-game-preview/c-342075068?game_pk=2022021039

A new era in Flyers history starts against an old nemesis--Crosby.  

19 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

They've taken 5 straight from us. 

Well one more want hurt I would love for the Flyers too drop as close to the top 3 picks as possible.

No sense in winning now.

If the next guy can just move on from Hayes this offseason it will be a huge win.

I won't get my hopes up.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, notfondajane said:

The Flyers should easily win this game. The Pens have no interest in winning games. All these games are is an all skate. Final score 6-4 Flyers! 

Have you met the Flyers? 😉

Wade Allison's NHL career is looking shaky he's got to find a way to stay in the lineup and quit getting hurt. I was really hoping it was just a one-game thing but he's out again today...bummer  - I like his game. Seems like everything Fletcher touches ...

• Like 1

The state of Pennsylvania vs. Carter Hart.

Mr. Hart, you are charged with robbery in the 1st degree....how do you plead?

CH: "Guilty on all counts, your honor. Those dirty Penguins were not going to take the lead just then!"

"Mr. Hart, you are remanded back to the crease of Philadelphia to serve out your remaining minutes as goaltender of this game. Court is adjourned" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Wow. 
Nick Seeler. Caught flat footed watching, and Pittsburgh got a semi breakaway from it.

Hart saved the day once again, but cmon, Seeler, you are better than that...

Fletcher said Seeler, “was a glue guy, good in the locker room” so his on ice play is secondary. Lol

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 1

Well, I only watched the last 10 minutes and Torts' post-game on YouTube.  Same old, same old.  Zero for Three on the PP and we give up 1.  Torts puts a good spin of stuff.  Fine. He speaks about effort, good game management...yada, yada.  But when the reporters ask, he ultimately suggests it is a talent issue.  Yes, he wants the kids to grow. And he feels they are.  But growth isn't enough.  Meanwhile, Crosby is 35 but the dude goes to town against us.  

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Well, I only watched the last 10 minutes and Torts' post-game on YouTube.  Same old, same old.  Zero for Three on the PP and we give up 1.  Torts puts a good spin of stuff.  Fine. He speaks about effort, good game management...yada, yada.  But when the reporters ask, he ultimately suggests it is a talent issue.  Yes, he wants the kids to grow. And he feels they are.  But growth isn't enough.  Meanwhile, Crosby is 35 but the dude goes to town against us.  

Yep they need an influx of skill not sure where they going to get it.

They have some kids with upside.

But they are all mostly still in the development phase.

New GM has his work cut out for him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Trading Konecny and Provorov, taking your lumps for a couple years.

Myself I would try to include Sanheim in that.

I'd be picking up the phone and calling the Vancouver Canucks to see if they want anyone of the 3 first and go from their make me an offer...

...really make me an offer for anyone on the team.

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Myself I would try to include Sanheim in that.

I'd be picking up the phone and calling the Vancouver Canucks to see if they want anyone of the 3 first and go from their make me an offer...

...really make me an offer for anyone on the team.

Can you even move Sanheim at this point? With his terrible season and the contract Chuck rushed against no one to sign? 

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

Hart for Austin Matthews.

Starting point.

Discuss.

:hocky:

I would assume that Auston signs an extension, and it isn't Hart for one year of Matthews.

34 would put asses in seats. He would instantly the best Flyer in 15 years. 

Hart fixes the goaltending issue in Toronto for years.

Matthews would be tasked with being the best player on a rebuilding team, again.

Would he want to be traded to the Flyers?

Matthews has a great (to me) personality. But, on a losing team in PHI i don't know how that plays- meaning will the press and fans HATE him because he's kind of a fuktard.

I mean that in the best way, I like the guy from afar. 

He would be a reason high skill players would be attracted to sign or be open to being traded to PHI.

This is the kind of thinking that has to happen though, big swings, while still being shrewd.

Lots of ballast would need jettisoned, this presumes no more Hayes, Provorov/Sanhiem  or maybe both, and definitely TDA / Ristolainen, Buyouts for Ellis and Atkinson.

What gets done with Couturier? 

I think the decks would need cleared to make such a move.

I would definitely signal some new thinking.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

Can you even move Sanheim at this point? With his terrible season and the contract Chuck rushed against no one to sign? 

Definitely selling low on 6.

Was the extension a **** you to Tortorella?

Torts wanted to evaluate which players were going to be part of the program going forward.

Unless there was some sort of spoken commitment to Sanheim about the extension. The timing of the signing didn't make any sense for what the coach and also the GM stated publicly about the direction of the team.

I think this bad season may be an outlier for Sanheim. With that contract that has to be the hope.

I know lots of people hate him and his game, but historically the team plays in the offensive zone when he's been on the ice. 

At least that what the analytics say.

16 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Meanwhile, Crosby is 35 but the dude goes to town against us.  

Maybe...just maybe, with Connor Bedard, some neanderthal on the Flyers won't cheapshot him in his first game against us and motivate him to score every...single...time he plays us.  

• Like 1