Flyers 2023 Entry Level Draft - 7th overall (confirmed)

pilldoc

If unable to draft either Bedard or Fantilli, who would you like to see the Flyers Draft?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 2 players you would like to see the Flyers Draft if Bedard and Fantilli are unavailalbe?

• Leo Carlsson, C/W (Orebro, SHL)
    • Zach Benson, LW (Winnipeg, WHL)
    • Will Smith, C (USNTDP)
    • Andrew Cristall, LW (Kelowna, WHL)
    • Dalibor Dvorsky, C (AIK, Allsvenskan)
    • David Reinbacher, D (Kloten, NL)
    • Eduard Sale, RW (Brno, Czechia)
    • Nate Danielson, C (Brandon, WHL)
    • Brayden Yager, C (Moose Jaw, WHL)
    • Matvei Michkov, C (Sochi, KHL)
    • Other

12 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

https://www.flyersnation.com/fletcher-discusses-flyers-tenure-points-to-niskanen-as-vital-loss-team-wasnt-able-to-recover-from-injuries/

It's 100% Niskanen and injuries that caused the Flyers to collapse as per Schmuck. None of his ****** moves helped contribute to things. What a tone deaf idiot.....lol

I did listen to that and I had to laugh a lot. The guy didn't admit to a single mistake on anything. His reality is a very different one from ours. 

32 Thoughts today making it sound like they believe Briere really wants Michkov. Make of that what you will. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

The guy didn't admit to a single mistake on anything. His reality is a very different one from ours. 

He did everything right in Minnesota, too.

It's mystifying why things don't turn out his way when he keeps doing everything the same way.

🤔

3 hours ago, radoran said:

It's mystifying why things don't turn out his way when he keeps doing everything the same way.

🤔

Cliff, Chuck, people get confused :)

It is amazing how far he's gotten on one lucky draft pick and a family name. 

6 hours ago, radoran said:

🤔

Just wait until draft day when Schmuck's on the Sportsnet draft show and he's giving his opinion on things. There should be done golden words and quotes on there. Let's see if he talks with Briere and Tortorella.....

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2023 at 3:35 PM, pilldoc said:

Can't remember if I posted a scouting report on Ryan Leonard or not .... here you go

image.png.6604edacc02fc95d730ee4023521f585.png

image.png.e0e62091703bced4f899bd7e17881d5b.png

For Ryan Leonard, his future in hockey will likely be decided by his versatility. Few players can play one position at a top level, yet Leonard has played at Center, Right, and Left Wing throughout the season for the United States National Team Development Program (USNTDP). He is also a threat both in the defensive and offensive zones, as he will play hard against the boards to win a puck battle behind his net, only to turn around and bring it back up the ice to create a scoring chance at the other.

During the 2022-23 season with the US National Under-18, Leonard posted 39 goals and 73 points in 45 games played. Then, in 15 games played so far with the USNTDP, he scored 10 goals and 19 points. So, he is no slouch when it comes to scoring, even if he isn’t expected to be a major offensive driver.

Defensively, Leonard is already showcasing the skillset of a dominant two-way forward. He has a strong ice presence and is able to put himself in the position to make the right play on the puck to generate opportunities for his team. Also, while he doesn’t have the biggest frame at rough 6-foot tall, he plays strong on his skates and is showcasing the ability to knock players off the puck.

For 2023-24 and beyond, Leonard is committed to playing hockey at Boston College. This will be the perfect place for him to develop his game over the course of the next three to four years, before taking that next step to the NHL. Given his toolkit, it wouldn’t be surprising to see in break into the league before his 21st birthday.

Ryan Leonard is a high energy winger who never takes his foot off the gas in terms of both speed and effort. He uses his speed and skill to blow by defenders in the neutral zone and pressure in-zone defenders who struggle to anticipate his next move. His playmaking and shot aren’t exceptional, but they’re both good enough to be reasonably sure that his offense would translate to the NHL some day.

Logan Horn – THW.com

Leonard is a highly energetic and lethal goal scorer that plays with a high level of intensity every time as he shows no quit to his game. He’s always in attack mode and displays a shooters mentality with a quick snap of his wrist. He has great velocity and accuracy and is always finding the back of the net as his 22 goals with the U18 squad shows. He displays soft hands in tight spaces, fooling both defenders and goaltenders.

Peter Baracchini – THW.com

Leonard has a way of making his own space on the ice. Sometimes he does that with his speed but a lot of times he does that by going through high-traffic areas and coming away with the puck. At 5-foot-11, 180 pounds, this centre is strong. He is in great physical condition, and he knows how to use it to his advantage.

Russ Cohen – eprinkside.com

Strengths

• Strong skater
  • Understands how to utilize his body to make space on the ice
  • Versatile
  • Can play a heavier game, considering his size
  • Great scoring instincts

Under Construction – Improvements to Make

• Doesn’t have the highest scoring ceiling for a 2023 first-round prospect

While he may not be the sexiest pick on draft day, Leonard is the kind of player that every team wants on their roster. With his two-way play, I could see him slotting into a team’s third line after developing at Boston College for a few seasons. He has top-six potential that could be reached if everything goes well in his development, but I wouldn’t expect him to be a first-line forward given where his toolkit is at right now.

With all that being said ....... what concerns me is he is not screaming top six .... he has 
"potential" from what the pundits are saying.  If I am drafting at #7 I want a player who has legit top 6 skills.  Now that is just my opinion and have not seen 1 second of him actually playing.  

Bobby Boucher on skates....that could work :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

On 6/23/2023 at 12:56 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

https://www.flyersnation.com/fletcher-discusses-flyers-tenure-points-to-niskanen-as-vital-loss-team-wasnt-able-to-recover-from-injuries/

It's 100% Niskanen and injuries that caused the Flyers to collapse as per Schmuck. None of his ****** moves helped contribute to things. What a tone deaf idiot.....lol

exactly what most of us on here said would happen when he was hired :lookssad:

🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

Per last mock up it's Ryan Leonard. I watched video YouTube on him his looked like Lindros as like. Hit all the time good one one skills. I think it might be good choice not sure opinions?

Edited by phlfly

@phlfly

@Cheesesteak

I think the natureboy Brent Flahr really likes Leonard's compete level.

I watched the presser with him and Briere, I thought it was interesting that he brought Leonard up when he was asked about that USDT line and if certain players were carrying others.

I really like Leonard, and will be happy if he is the pick (obviously if none of the top 5ish fall etc). But almost every profile on him says 2nd/3rd liner, does everything right, high energy player. Major doubts if he will be a high scoring winger.

I'd rather go for a swing with Benson. Profile on him is he has major upside, if he can be developed. Leonard and Dvorsky are going to be very very good players, but safe picks.

I like them, just getting tired of seeing responsible two-way players who may hit 60 points. Just use the 7 to really go for a guy with superstar offensive potential please. Someone who is elite in something (speed, shooting, hockey IQ) and not someone who's is just good/above average in everything.

Edited by ctid
  • Like 2

At this point, I'm taking Ryan Leonard, if they can't get Leo Carlsson, which is quite possible. Praying one of them is there at 7. If not, Zach Benson is highly skilled, and would be an excellent pick also. Good scoring touch and an excellent, quick release on his shot. Leonard has the best skill/size combo IMHO..so he's my pick. Leonard is a very good skater that plays with a lot of intensity. The Flyers need more skill and grit, in their organization.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Flyers have a plan they will dress an all RW lineup....GENIUSES!!!!

There's going to be players being moved. Don't forget either that Leonard can play all forward positions. He just happened to be a right winger on perhaps the best line in all of minor hockey. 

I'm not opposed to Leonard. The draft is about drafting the best talent available. Leonard won't be on the big club for a minimum of two years anyways, so lots can happen between now and then.

I'm more concerned if the Flyers decide to reach for Reinbacher, Sandin-Pellika or Wallinder. 

I think everyone just needs to take a collective breath and let Briere's vision of what he wants the club to look like takes shape. 

56 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I think everyone just needs to take a collective breath and let Briere's vision of what he wants the club to look like takes shape. 

I seem to recall several on here giving me this advice December 2018. I wasn't listening then. 

But I don't think Danny Briere is anywhere near the idiot Fletcher was. He certainly hasn't started filling the roster with people from Arizona just because he once played there. And he hasn't signed or traded for the slowest, dumbest laziest players he can find. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Don't forget either that Leonard can play all forward positions.

And he has already came out and said he doesn't want to play center he wants to play RW....so yeah there's that...let's hope the NHL needs RWs soon because well the Flyers have all of them...

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I think it will help a lot when i don't see Hayes and DeAngelo on the roster.

Ot at least i think it will....can we try and it and see?? Asking for a friend.

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think it will help a lot when i don't see Hayes and DeAngelo on the roster.

Ot at least i think it will....can we try and it and see?? Asking for a friend.

I'm also trying to picture a Flyers roster that isn't brimming with players I can't stand. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm also trying to picture a Flyers roster that isn't brimming with players I can't stand. 

I tried....i tried with Michael Vick...never sat with me right...i was very hard because i love pets - especially dogs...but Hayes and Deangelo never sat right...just don't fit and it was easy to see.

A decision is going to have to be made on Sanehim before July 1st or i just keep him.

So no more Hayes and DeAngelo and and it wouldn't be hard to to be convinced let it ride run it back and come the trade deadline next year guys like Risto, Sanheim and Laughton (if he isn't traded this offseason) will be all on the block.

8 hours ago, phlfly said:

Per last mock up it's Ryan Leonard. I watched video YouTube on him his looked like Lindros as like. Hit all the time good one one skills. I think it might be good choice not sure opinions?

If it's Leonard, I trade back 5 spots or so. He's a middle 6 at best, so i trade back, get some other middle six and and a second rounder for my effort.

The Gaudreaus and the Colfields and the Brinks help you make the playoffs. The Flyers need to draft guys who help you WIN in the playoffs. From all I have read, Ryan Leonard is the latter. I am fine with the pick. 

21 minutes ago, phlfly said:

Flyers need a player with 50 plus goals a season. Look all past cups all teams have players have 50 plus goals players 

I'll play.

Who on the Golden Knights scored 50 goals?

Who on the 2021-22 Avalanche scored 50?

Who on the 2020-21 Lightning scored 50?

Who on the 2019-20 Lightning scored 50?

Who on the 2018-19 Blues scored 50?

Ovechkin scored 51 in 2017-18 for the Caps.

Who on the 2016-17 Penguins scored 50?

Who on the 2015-16 Penguins scored 50?

Who on the 2014-15 Black Hawks scored 50?

I know  surely someone on the 2013-14 Kings scored 50, right?

Who on the 2012-13 Black Hawks scored 50?

Who on the 2011-12 LA Kings scored 50? 

I think only one of the above teams scored 40.

The 22-23 Oilers had TWO score 50 and one in 21-22.  How many finals, let alone Cups?

Sorry, just a flagrantly false claim.

phlfly claim is suk.

• Like 1

Well at lest 40 but we don't have any one can even get over 30 for last 10 years. I don't want hear a bs about balance shifts = to streaky players that are suk every 20 games 

I'm stuck between Leonard's physicality and Moores speed. Both seem to have excellent work ethic. I'd be thrilled with either one...but Moores overwhelming speed creates mismatches, so I lean towards him.