2023-24 Philadelphia Flyers

13 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Honestly, I have no interest in next season, other than seeing how close to the bottom of the standings they will finish.

I think they finish anywhere from 8-10th. Sure would love to see them inside the top 3 again.

But i just know the way this club and it finishes and expect that. However without Mr. I'm ready to play now that we're eliminated in Boston now maybe they have a shot to finish inside the top 5. Hard to say looking at this defense.

It could get down right ugly with Sanheim and Risto leading the way. I may watch whatever is on ESPN.

Not buying a package just to watch them. If they can purge a player or two again before the deadline it could be a win win.

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I understand your POV. I see it differently.  The life long fan in me has been reinvigorated. I have no unreal expectations that will be squashed in the end. This is the first time since the inception of the team that a real rebuild is happening.  Im excited to see what can happen, and if it's successful, it'll be a fun ride

I feel like I've experienced an emotional purge of decades of Flyers bad decisions. 

Now if I can just get people to stop talking about that guy who plays in boston....🤔

im on board with plan, i do believe this organization wants to win, biggest problem is our cap space because when a big time player becomes available we have opportunity to get them, i know fans want to tank for top 5 guys every year but you do need outside talent to get this team over hump because these are 18 year old players relying just on them isnt a good idea for their development and we dont know how much of an impact they are going to make.

and just for the record, i have no issues playing alot of youth at all since especially on entry level deals that will save us alot of cap space but we still need those outside talent players to help the youth.

• Good Post 2

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I understand your POV. I see it differently.  The life long fan in me has been reinvigorated. I have no unreal expectations that will be squashed in the end. This is the first time since the inception of the team that a real rebuild is happening.  Im excited to see what can happen, and if it's successful, it'll be a fun ride

I feel like I've experienced an emotional purge of decades of Flyers bad decisions. 

Now if I can just get people to stop talking about that guy who plays in boston....🤔

I share your reinvigorated, I just don't want a rebuild to target slightly better than mediocre. The Flyers need 1 or 2 more top 3 picks to be legitimate contenders. As of today there are no top pair dmen and 2 1st line forwards in the system. Finishing next season picking 8th or 10th doesn't get it done, IMHO. If you are going to rebuild, then BITFU and rebuild. I for one will not be excited about losing in the first or second round. There has to be a singular goal, a hockey goal, not a corporate playoff gate receipt goal.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

I just don't want a rebuild to target slightly better than mediocre

As much as most of cannot stand the bobby-bunch:smallTM: and their incompetence over the years, I've never questioned that they want to win. In fact, that desire to win at all cost has blinded them into doing stupid things time and again. I feel like this rebuild has a plan, and finally, i feel like they ALL are on board

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 4

When you look at the roster, even if Coots returns and plays well, it lacks scoring talent. We will have to see how much Torts' grinding shutdown style can affect game results. I'd expect a low scoring season and many close losses, but losses all the same. 

The D is really thin and a few injuries from collapsing entirely. 

Goaltending should be okay. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

When you look at the roster, even if Coots returns and plays well, it lacks scoring talent. We will have to see how much Torts' grinding shutdown style can affect game results. I'd expect a low scoring season and many close losses, but losses all the same. 

The D is really thin and a few injuries from collapsing entirely. 

Goaltending should be okay. 

Well, Couturier is a 30 goal guy. Konecny is a 30 goal guy. Atkinson is a 30 goal guy. Tippett came close to being a 30 goal guy. Frost and Laughton should hit 20 this year with increased ice time. Farabee should also hit 20, especially if he's healthy. Add in Tyson Foerster and there should be another 20 goal guy there. So, if they're healthy this year, there's no reason why these 8 can't get 200 goals between them. And that doesn't include a guy like Cates, who will probably see an increase in his production as well. It's very possible that the top nine could easily get between 230 - 240 goals between them. That's an average of 26.7 goals per player. Where things get ugly will be scoring from the defense. That's going to be the dog's breakfast. It's going to depend on Sanheim, York and Ristolainen. If those three can collect 10 goals a piece, that's an additional 30 goals. So, 270 goals should place them in the top 15. Not impossible, but it certainly won't be easy.

• Like 1

I don’t see those 8 guys collectively getting 200 goals, which averages out to 25 per player.  The only ones I see hitting that mark are Konecny, Tippett, and maybe Farabee.  If you get 20 from Couturier or Atkinson you pop the champagne.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Well, Couturier is a 30 goal guy. Konecny is a 30 goal guy. Atkinson is a 30 goal guy. Tippett came close to being a 30 goal guy.

This is assuming Couturier and Atkinson return close to pre-injury form.

The team's track record with that has been abysmal of late, so that's maybe a stretch.

I do agree with most of the rest of what you're saying though. 

I think a healthy Farabee can score 25-35 goals. 

If viewed with really orange shaded glasses, one can see where the team may not be terrible this season. Maybe too good for their own good. 

That's if everything breaks the right way, but, when was the last time that happened for the Flyers, 2010?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

This is assuming Couturier and Atkinson return close to pre-injury form.

The team's track record with that has been abysmal of late, so that's maybe a stretch.

I do agree with most of the rest of what you're saying though. 

I think a healthy Farabee can score 25-35 goals. 

If viewed with really orange shaded glasses, one can see where the team may not be terrible this season. Maybe too good for their own good. 

That's if everything breaks the right way, but, when was the last time that happened for the Flyers, 2010?

Here's the thing. If you follow Tortorella's track record with every team but Vancouver, they take big jumps in year two (year four is usually his best years). So yeah, I think this is a club that will generate offense. I'm guardedly optimistic about Couturier. The hands and intelligence will still be there. Same with Atkinson. Yes, they're older and in the case of Couturier, two major back surgeries. The thing that I feel comfortable about is that this wasn't surgery like LeClair or Lemieux. This was a spinal surgery and spinal revision surgery to clear the scar tissue to allow the nerves to heal. There was no disc removal, so his balance and skating should be fine. 

The other great news is that McCrossin is no longer with the club, so there's no worry about him telling players they're fine when in fact they're still hurt (I strongly believe that there was an incompetence/malpractice issue with McCrossin and that if there was one good thing Fletcher did, it was getting rid of him). 

So yeah, I'm good with this. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Well, Couturier is a 30 goal guy. Konecny is a 30 goal guy. Atkinson is a 30 goal guy. Tippett came close to being a 30 goal guy. Frost and Laughton should hit 20 this year with increased ice time. Farabee should also hit 20, especially if he's healthy. Add in Tyson Foerster and there should be another 20 goal guy there. So, if they're healthy this year, there's no reason why these 8 can't get 200 goals between them. And that doesn't include a guy like Cates, who will probably see an increase in his production as well. It's very possible that the top nine could easily get between 230 - 240 goals between them. That's an average of 26.7 goals per player. Where things get ugly will be scoring from the defense. That's going to be the dog's breakfast. It's going to depend on Sanheim, York and Ristolainen. If those three can collect 10 goals a piece, that's an additional 30 goals. So, 270 goals should place them in the top 15. Not impossible, but it certainly won't be easy.

That's VERY optimistic. We scored a whopping 220 goals last season. Coots and Atkinson (and Gauthier?) have to have very good seasons to bring that up. Better we bring the goals against down to have any chance at all. If we can bring that down to 230 or so we might have an interesting season. 

OK folks enough!

Consider this a shot across the bow.   It is too damn hot outside for all the bickering and name calling.

Keep it up and warnings and or time out in the penalty box will be issued.

On 7/17/2023 at 10:57 PM, GrittyForever said:

That's VERY optimistic. We scored a whopping 220 goals last season. Coots and Atkinson (and Gauthier?) have to have very good seasons to bring that up. Better we bring the goals against down to have any chance at all. If we can bring that down to 230 or so we might have an interesting season. 

Coots is the biggest question mark up front. Will his skating be even slower than before, will his back hold up. I see him as being diminished and will be in and out of the lineup with spasms and stiffness throughout the year. We will probably get some extra offense from Atkinson and Foerester and some other young guys but our defense is actually worse than last season, so I think we will have a worse overall record than last year. Sanheim and Risto are the top pair dmen. Neither are capable of that responsibility and Risto after 7 years of having the worst stats has to turn into Chris Pronger for us to improve. I don't see it happening. 

19 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

:cool[1]:

I am very dubious about the ability of teams with multiple $10M+ players being able to field a squad with playoff depth in today's NHL.

Coaches earn their stuff in the playoffs exploiting matchups and getting your best D on their best F and your best F against their worst D works wonders against teams without real 3/4 line depth.

It will be interesting if they ever do crack down on the IR shenanigans that have tilted the ice for a few recent champs.

I haven't worried as it hasn't much mattered to the Flyers and I haven't really cared as a result.

But it would put an even bigger emphasis on overall team depth.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Coots is the biggest question mark up front. Will his skating be even slower than before, will his back hold up. I see him as being diminished and will be in and out of the lineup with spasms and stiffness throughout the year. We will probably get some extra offense from Atkinson and Foerester and some other young guys but our defense is actually worse than last season, so I think we will have a worse overall record than last year. Sanheim and Risto are the top pair dmen. Neither are capable of that responsibility and Risto after 7 years of having the worst stats has to turn into Chris Pronger for us to improve. I don't see it happening. 

I don't disagree, but I'm not worried about Coots. I see no reason to buy him out right now. If the back doesn't hold up he's more likely to just end up on LTIR.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

I don't disagree, but I'm not worried about Coots. I see no reason to buy him out right now. If the back doesn't hold up he's more likely to just end up on LTIR.

Yeah the contract is horrible and his back certainly won't hold up for 7 more years. Sooner or later he will be a LTIR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

Yep it would be best to just Marian Hossa him...

• Like 1