Twelfth Anniversary of Exodus from Philly.com

Howie58

2 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

Someone must be smart enough to find archived pages from threads with Vader, Rick, and that other guy wtf was his name from Total Recall. That guy was a Class A Troll. 

archive pages from philly.com?  that is going to be tough ...that site has been defunct now for years.

28 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

archive pages from philly.com?  that is going to be tough ...that site has been defunct now for years.

It should be possible to find some stuff. Just made a quick search using wayback machine

Screenshot_2023-11-14-21-49-11-90_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Whoa, that's some champion lurking! Bravo!

Heh, you should (not) see me on the letsgopens forum.  In lieu of any exciting end to a flyers season since, well, you know, I would celebrate the end of a season by reading about the Pens crashing out of their playoff race (most years).

When MAF gave those goals up to Montreal in that first round a while back, man, that was some prime-time lurking reading entertainment.  You think we panic and get all 'the sky is falling'; that was stuff was *cathartic* to read about.

Anyway, fully hoping a change is in the works here finally, in a lot of ways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

Someone must be smart enough to find archived pages from threads with Vader, Rick, and that other guy wtf was his name from Total Recall. That guy was a Class A Troll. 

mkscrewy:

Some memories are like sleeping dogs...leave them alone.  Yes, they were generally awful.

The other thing I remember about the site--constant warnings from McAfee about malicious blah, blah, pop-ups, and whatever.  We don't have that problem, thankfully.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

The other thing I remember about the site--constant warnings from McAfee about malicious blah, blah, pop-ups, and whatever.  We don't have that problem, thankfully.

I didn't have McAfee, so thankfully I didn't have the constant warnings nuissance.

I got viruses.

On 11/14/2023 at 4:21 PM, Buddy said:

Heh, you should (not) see me on the letsgopens forum.  In lieu of any exciting end to a flyers season since, well, you know, I would celebrate the end of a season by reading about the Pens crashing out of their playoff race (most years).

When MAF gave those goals up to Montreal in that first round a while back, man, that was some prime-time lurking reading entertainment.  You think we panic and get all 'the sky is falling'; that was stuff was *cathartic* to read about.

Anyway, fully hoping a change is in the works here finally, in a lot of ways.

MAF SUCKS! HE WOULD DRIVE ME UP A WALL WITH HIS PLAY! 

That Montreal series was fixed. The Penguins opened the 67/68 season with a 2-1 loss to the Habs. How fitting to lose to them in the last game at the Civic Arena!

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

I share the sentiment of those who said it feels longer.  I do recall that I left that place around 2007-2008 after I had enough, but that doesn't mean that the actual exodus happened at the same time I left. At that same time, a poster with a handle Forsbergy (a.k.a., JTK) has created his own site called puthepuckinthe.net where many of us temporarily migrated to. His site was intended as a permanent replacement of philly.com (which is what this site ended up becoming), but for one reason or the other, that never materialized.  I am sure the philly.com people remember that. 

Well, what can I say.... Time flies.  But........... In an effort to be as objective and fair as one can be, and to remove the tint of personal attachment and prejudice, I have to say that philly.com wasn't ALL bad.  Toward the end, yes, that place just completely went to a shitter and needed to go.  There was a combination of reasons for the downfall; it didn't happen overnight. But there were also some good memories. First of all, that place offered an unparalleled amount of free entertainment. 🤣 Beyond that, I personally learned quite a few things from people who know tremendously more about hockey than me.  But above all, that place allowed me to meet some quality people with whom I share some core values and a vision of the world we live in, and whom, I am happy to say, I befriended, albeit on a virtual level. Don't raise your hands; you know who you are.

Also, in light of what has transpired at philly.com, that place turned out to be a great test of character and really showed who was who.

But I will join in thanking the creators of this site.  While I only come here occasionally these days, one cannot overstate the amount of work that went into creating this place and what it became.

Well said Mad Dog, so very true. There was a LOT of very good times on that site. It just went to hell at the end. 

• Like 2

On 11/14/2023 at 1:38 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Wonder what the ol Tonner is doing these days?

I always mis-read his name and wondered who "eaton" was ?

I imagine he's drinking some Genny Creme's and blasting some broads.

• Haha 3

On 11/14/2023 at 1:38 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Wonder what the ol Tonner is doing these days?

Probably drinkin' some Genesee Cream Ales 😄

ooops, just saw, Mojo beat me to the punch re:Genesee Cream Ales haha

Edited by Cheesesteak
  • Like 2