Game 26: Philadelphia Flyers at Arizona Coyotes; 12/7/23 @ 9 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

We enter the game as mild underdog (+123):

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-arizona-odds-december-7-2023-2017409

The tale of the tape says Arizona is a better offensive squad with a top-flight PP:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-arizona-odds-december-7-2023-2017409

Arizona is on a five-game winning streak against the immediate prior Stanley Cup Champs, including a 6-0 clobbering of the Caps.  Their starting goalie, Connor Ingram, is having an amazing season.  My read is that their GM, Bill Armstrong, has made some good "1B" free-agent signings that complement some youngins and vets.  This will be an interesting matchup.  

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Underdogs to the ‘Yotes…? and here I’ve been singing praises to the Flyers all season!

But going by your post it sounds like maybe they’re not the same old forgettable desert team?

Grateful:

They are playing good hockey.  Their roster doesn't strike me as a bunch of name-brand players.  But they're doing something right, despite playing in a mini-facility and wondering if relocation is part of their future--which makes free agent signings very tough.  

I remember their Dave Tippett days.  Very defensively oriented, almost old-style Devils hockey.  They did well for a few years.  I guess they are moving out of obscurity.  

1 hour ago, flyerdog said:

Dear Flyerdog,

I recall the 2017 news conference in which LV got a franchise, and Quebec didn't.  Bettman and Daly acknowledged that Quebec has a wonderful facility.  They also felt management would be competent.  But:

1.  The NHL's contracts are in U.S. Dollars.  The Canadian dollar is about 75 cents on the Greenback.  That puts a big strain on small Canadian markets without big broadcast turf.

2. Unless another team were to be added west, Bettman and Company made it clear they want balanced conferences.  Moving Arizona to Quebec makes that a problem. And remember, they added Seattle, in part, for geographical balance.

Another thing some folks mention is that Bettman likes new franchises in areas that are not hockey hubs.  He wants to expand interest.  On that score, moving a team to Quebec doesn't help.  BTW, the governor of Connecticut has offered upwards of a billion in various incentives to put a team in Hartford.  But that violates Bettman's belief in new hockey markets.

All that said, if Arizona does bomb, there's a lot written about Houston getting a franchise.  It would give Dallas an instate rivalry and the market is huge.  You could make the case that Quebec might make more sense then as an expansion team.  But my gut says Bettman wants Phoenix to last.  But they need a venue.  

I hope this helps.  

Howie

3 hours ago, flyerdog said:

"...and wondering if relocation is part of their future--"

Does Quebec have Coyotes? 🙂

Does LA have lakes?

Does Utah have Jazz?

Does Toronto understand how to pluralize Leaf?

I get your intent, though.   It's just always amazed me that the Lakers nor the Jazz bothered to change their names when they moved.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Does LA have lakes?

Does Utah have Jazz?

I get your intent, though.   It's just always amazed me that the Lakers nor the Jazz bothered to change their names when they moved.

Don't forget those Memphis Grizzlies.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Does LA have lakes?

Does Utah have Jazz?

But I'm sure if Quebec is move they bring the Nordiques back right?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Samifan said:

It’s really unbelievable how solid their PK has been all season. Nice to see!

The PK should be the thing that, guys buying into the Tortorella "work hard" ethos, does shine.

They also have a lot of "those sorts of guys" and it helps that Konecny plays the role well too.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I watched the first two periods. They looked fast and played good D. I was surprised how well they skated. Good win.

i think that's the identity this team has been missing for a long time, play good defensive hockey because that's what we are built.

• Like 3

Good Morning:

I am a bit surprised we haven't heard cries for "We Need Hinkie!"  I am sure some fans will start wondering if we are winning too much.  I would rather the youngins come of age knowing about winning and competition.  Others may say we should stink up the joint for years, collect "generational talent," and worry about winning later.  

Meanwhile, tomorrow in Colorado.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Dear Flyerdog,

I recall the 2017 news conference in which LV got a franchise, and Quebec didn't.  Bettman and Daly acknowledged that Quebec has a wonderful facility.  They also felt management would be competent.  But:

1.  The NHL's contracts are in U.S. Dollars.  The Canadian dollar is about 75 cents on the Greenback.  That puts a big strain on small Canadian markets without big broadcast turf.

2. Unless another team were to be added west, Bettman and Company made it clear they want balanced conferences.  Moving Arizona to Quebec makes that a problem. And remember, they added Seattle, in part, for geographical balance.

Another thing some folks mention is that Bettman likes new franchises in areas that are not hockey hubs.  He wants to expand interest.  On that score, moving a team to Quebec doesn't help.  BTW, the governor of Connecticut has offered upwards of a billion in various incentives to put a team in Hartford.  But that violates Bettman's belief in new hockey markets.

All that said, if Arizona does bomb, there's a lot written about Houston getting a franchise.  It would give Dallas an instate rivalry and the market is huge.  You could make the case that Quebec might make more sense then as an expansion team.  But my gut says Bettman wants Phoenix to last.  But they need a venue.  

I hope this helps.  

Howie

"if Arizona does bomb"

Please define bomb. That franchise has been festering manure from day 1, ever since the bett turd put it there.

• Like 2