Flyers 2023-24 Trade deadline moves/predictions

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

Carter, Richards and the Center City Crew were all legit too, at the start. As soon as the Flyers got a hold of them and elevated Richards to captain, shidt spiraled. Its a common thing with Philly franchises. They coddle young superstars, give them the key to the city, then watch them drown in pool of their own popularity

When the Oilers decided to rebuild after the 2010 season, I watched them eject every single veteran from the roster and traded core-aged players for draft picks with not a thought of who would play those minutes. The assumption, clearly, was that their new high draft choices would play.

They took Taylor Hall and pretty much gave him the keys to the city, the arena and whatever else he wanted. He mocked teammates who hustled in practice, was completely indifferent to playing a complete game and when injuries were taking a toll even told the team to dress one fewer player than try a single game at centre.

Tom Renney tried to hold Hall accountable with a benching and also tried to put a 160-lb Ryan Nugent-Hopkins on injured reserve, and was told he'd be fired at season's end, because the team was trying to sell hope. Hall didn't change, and RNH's shoulder was badly injured days later, requiring season-ending shoulder surgery, so any coach knew the price that would be paid for trying to take him in hand. Anybody on the team who spoke out about these things or expressed frustration was traded. In the case of David Perron, it was by the next morning. Hall's attitude away from the arena continued to get worse, and he was known to stiff bars for drinks and bully people in public.

This had the effect that you might think: the dressing room was divided between Hall's friends, who also put in a similar effort, and those who were sick of it. Hall was finally given away to the Devils for Adam Larsson who was a very good defensive d-man, but hardly the return you would want. Oscar Klefbom stated that just getting Hall off the roster was addition by subtraction.

Anyway... This isn't to crap on Taylor Hall, but to say that I agree with you; that it's a terrible idea to coddle young players - anybody, really. People should be required to earn what they get in this world and not have it handed to them.

Here's a good clip, by the way:

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1

Let me just add something. When talking about veterans, it's important to specify what type of veterans to have in the locker room. In most cases, the veteran guys you want are those who are willing to accept whatever role is offered. Whether it's being a 7th defenseman or penalty killer or a checker on the fourth line, you want guys who are willing to be professional and come to the rink every day with a clear and sound mind. Being professional is paramount. Longevity also helps and I think being a family person can't be stressed enough. A lot of the young men who first arrive to the team need that grounding influence. I think that's what really has hurt Anaheim. Even a guy like Konecny, who now has two children, can be a major influence. Family men usually don't go out to the clubs, are dedicated and understand responsibility. Those are a great influence. 

Just wanted to point that out.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

. When talking about veterans, it's important to specify what type of veterans to have in the locker room. In most cases, the veteran guys you want are those who are willing to accept whatever role is offered.

I kinda think in this situation Adam Henrique is a pretty good example of what you're talking about. He's played just about everywhere up and down the lineup and has been a good soldier vet for the Ducks for years.

Silfverberg is another fairly accomplished vet in a leadership position.

Cam Fowler.

But let's go with the "no vet leaders" approach.

The fact that Zegras is seeing this as an opportunity to slack off defensively instead of stepping up to fill a leadership void is, for me, concerning.

I don't want to give up what it will likely take to get him, but two years to RFA at least make the conversation worth having.

I'm still a no, but I see the other side.

11 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I honestly wonder if players getting stuck in a constant state of rebuilding takes a toll mentally. As a player, most have competitive drive and want to win and when you see the losses piling up year after year after year and there's no end in sight to it, that has to take a toll. Doesn't make one mentally weak, but it would certainly become exhausting. Maybe Zegras is at that point. 

So let's bring him in to the eternal contender Philly Flyers? 🤣

The Ducks have been in the conference finals twice in the last 10 years....which is a lot more than I can say for the Flyers.

• Like 1

Ristolainen's "stock" is up and it's not inconceivable they'd take him. They won't at $5.1mil so if the Flyers retain salary (esp 50%) Briere ought to get something valuable in return.

If Tortorella continues to use him as a 3rd pair guy - I can't believe I'm about to type this - the Flyers don't have to trade him. Briere can't let BriseBois think he's doing the Flyers a favor (even though he would be).

3 hours ago, radoran said:

Ristolainen was coincidentally "sick" last night against the Jets.

Flyers won 4-1.

🤔

And was remarkably fine at their practice this afternoon.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Briere should trade Ristolainen ASAP but not at the expense of any “sweeteners.” It should be enough - more than enough - if the Flyers pay half his salary.

Yeah, I think so, too. You get three slots for retaining salary, and one is being used on Hayes. Looking at the roster, though, I don't really see anybody else that it would probably be used on.

• Like 1

@JR Ewing

Maybe Atkinson?

He's not been himself since missing almost a whole season.

I thought his contract went through 2025, if it's longer- maybe he's a buyout candidate? 

At this point I can't see a team giving up much of value for him without salary retention. Good in the room isn't enough.

His fall off has been sad to watch,  I've always like his game. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@JR Ewing

Maybe Atkinson?

He's not been himself since missing almost a whole season.

I thought his contract went through 2025, if it's longer- maybe he's a buyout candidate? 

At this point I can't see a team giving up much of value for him without salary retention. Good in the room isn't enough.

His fall off has been sad to watch,  I've always like his game. 

I considered him, but he's UFA after the 2025 season, so I don't think it would upset the apple cart too much if Briere has to go that route.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Briere should trade Ristolainen ASAP but not at the expense of any “sweeteners.” It should be enough - more than enough - if the Flyers pay half his salary.

I'd be fine with that but if i am picking up 2 mill per season

i expect a 3rd at least back for that minimum 

but just to move out that contract and i'm tired of hearing bitching about him

move him...asap...i only say hearing because i would have been more likely upset with him if i had been watching i haven't watched a game since the shutout at Winnipeg right before the losing skid.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Yeah, I think so, too. You get three slots for retaining salary, and one is being used on Hayes. Looking at the roster, though, I don't really see anybody else that it would probably be used on.

No you’re right Ristolainen’s the only candidate now, thankfully the last of Fletcher’s boneheaded acquisitions.

Ristolainen had a SOG tonight I think and he broke up at least one dangerous play that I saw. He didn’t hurt his value anyway…I only hope BriseBois noticed! 

On 2/8/2024 at 7:39 PM, JR Ewing said:

When the Oilers decided to rebuild after the 2010 season, I watched them eject every single veteran from the roster and traded core-aged players for draft picks with not a thought of who would play those minutes. The assumption, clearly, was that their new high draft choices would play.

They took Taylor Hall and pretty much gave him the keys to the city, the arena and whatever else he wanted. He mocked teammates who hustled in practice, was completely indifferent to playing a complete game and when injuries were taking a toll even told the team to dress one fewer player than try a single game at centre.

Tom Renney tried to hold Hall accountable with a benching and also tried to put a 160-lb Ryan Nugent-Hopkins on injured reserve, and was told he'd be fired at season's end, because the team was trying to sell hope. Hall didn't change, and RNH's shoulder was badly injured days later, requiring season-ending shoulder surgery, so any coach knew the price that would be paid for trying to take him in hand. Anybody on the team who spoke out about these things or expressed frustration was traded. In the case of David Perron, it was by the next morning. Hall's attitude away from the arena continued to get worse, and he was known to stiff bars for drinks and bully people in public.

This had the effect that you might think: the dressing room was divided between Hall's friends, who also put in a similar effort, and those who were sick of it. Hall was finally given away to the Devils for Adam Larsson who was a very good defensive d-man, but hardly the return you would want. Oscar Klefbom stated that just getting Hall off the roster was addition by subtraction.

Anyway... This isn't to crap on Taylor Hall, but to say that I agree with you; that it's a terrible idea to coddle young players - anybody, really. People should be required to earn what they get in this world and not have it handed to them.

Here's a good clip, by the way:

Hall was out of control in Windsor also. I suspect it started way before the OHL. Really frustrating, because if he was a decent human being and dedicated to honing his skills, he could have been amazing...even HOF material...but alas, hes a selfish, entitled prick that wasted his God given talent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Hall was out of control in Windsor also. I suspect it started way before the OHL. Really frustrating, because if he was a decent human being and dedicated to honing his skills, he could have been amazing...even HOF material...but alas, hes a selfish, entitled prick that wasted his God given talent. 

It really shows the value in having somebody in a position of authority hold people like him to account at some point.

Mark Messier was a wild young man who cut a wide swath of partying across the NHL, particularly during his time in Edmonton, where stories from old cab drivers are legendary. When Messier was a rookie in the 1980 season, he was late to practice a few times, and finally just no-showed a team flight, so Glen Sather was pulling his hair out in frustration. Sather figured that some time riding the buses and hauling his own bags around as a member of the Houston Apollos in the CHL would straighten him out.

After a couple of weeks, Sather called up Al Rollins and asked how Messier was doing. Rollins told him the kid was terrific, was putting up points and was going to be a hell of a player... if he could learn to show up to the arena. Away from Edmonton, Messier ended up partying even more than he did before, so Sather recalled him, met him at the airport and made the 18-year old move in with his family until he felt the kid had done some growing up.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

It really shows the value in having somebody in a position of authority hold people like him to account at some point.

Mark Messier was a wild young man who cut a wide swath of partying across the NHL, particularly during his time in Edmonton, where stories from old cab drivers are legendary. When Messier was a rookie in the 1980 season, he was late to practice a few times, and finally just no-showed a team flight, so Glen Sather was pulling his hair out in frustration. Sather figured that some time riding the buses and hauling his own bags around as a member of the Houston Apollos in the CHL would straighten him out.

After a couple of weeks, Sather called up Al Rollins and asked how Messier was doing. Rollins told him the kid was terrific, was putting up points and was going to be a hell of a player... if he could learn to show up to the arena. Away from Edmonton, Messier ended up partying even more than he did before, so Sather recalled him, met him at the airport and made the 18-year old move in with his family until he felt the kid had done some growing up.

What a great story about Messier!  

• Like 3

Anyone hear this Hanfin to the Flyers rumor? How does a 27 year old fairly expensive d man fit the rebuild narrative?

Dont get me wrong, the guy is SOLID and thus sought after...but giving up picks and prospects to acquire him,?? Um...no. Stick to the plan...dont let this mirage fool ya Danny.

Edited by jammer2

33 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Anyone hear this Hanfin to the Flyers rumor? How does a 27 year old fairly expensive d man fit the rebuild narrative?

Dont get me wrong, the guy is SOLID and thus sought after...but giving up picks and prospects to acquire him,?? Um...no. Stick to the plan...dont let this mirage fool ya Danny.

I didn't hear about Hanifin, but I doubt he's a target. The only rumors I've heard have been Casey Middlestedt from Buffalo. That's it. I've heard numerous rumors about players on the move (Laughton, Walker, Ristolainen, Seeler, Frost and Atkinson), but I've never heard about Hanifin being a target. I don't think he'd be a possibility either, especially with Sanheim and Ristolainen's cap hits 

Me neither. Haven't heard Hanifin to Flyers. Him and Tanev are top dogs on the D for trade bait, next is walker. If Dallas misses out/can't make money work on those two, then I think Walker to Stars is a good bet to happen. 

Seeler re-ups, fine with Laugthon staying unless we can get a first. But we do need veteran presence to mentor the younglings. True value of Laughton is off the ice and on 3/4th line. That's it. 

Will be pissed off if Frost gets traded. He's going to have a true breakout season next year I believe. I wouldn't be surprised to see 55-65 points. If they want to trade him, then wait one more year please.