Trading Laughton Off-Season: Is It the Sign of a "Real" Rebuild?

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Especially when consider 2016 basically 3 picks missed 1st Rubustov 2nd Pascal Laberge 2nd Cater Hart

The year before 2nd pick Nicholas Aube-Kubel?

2nd Anthony Stolarz bloomed later for the Ducks gave up on him after just 19 games at 25 (I know we have hindsight) but you give his 27 all the money for 3 effin games.

Bunch of buffoons.

this would also explain Jonesy's comment:
'We need to find OUR Brayden Point in the second round" 
I think that the Michkov pick definitely signals a paradigm shift..the "safe" pick would have been Ryan Leonard....and most pundits had us picking him as they had Matvei off the board already...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

We need to find OUR Brayden Point in the second round" 

The 2nd round? Maybe keep some of them and see what happens.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm not saying Provorov isn't blameless (his refusal to change his game and to blame others for his shortcomings)

After he got traded there were stories about Provorov's "blame others" thing, how it was out of control and he was genuinely disliked around the room. I can understand some of Provorov's frustration with the Flyers; the team was a hot mess for much of his time in the O&B. But as a teammate (if the stories are true) he can be quite an a-hole.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flyerdog said:

'We need to find OUR Brayden Point in the second round" 

image.gif

If it was easy everyone would do it.

You don't "find" those guys, those guys - Point, Robertson, Aho, Debrincat - make themselves.

Oh, and before @flyercanuck gets here you also have to have second rounders...

:hocky:

Edited by radoran
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

After he got traded there were stories about Provorov's "blame others" thing, how it was out of control and he was genuinely disliked around the room. I can understand some of Provorov's frustration with the Flyers; the team was a hot mess for much of his time in the O&B. But as a teammate (if the stories are true) he can be quite an a-hole.

That works have been nipped in the bud through proper development. The entitlement and blame game only came during his tenure in Philadelphia. Sad really. Those four coaches did him no favours at all.

22 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

https://phillyhockeynow.com/2024/04/24/philadelphia-flyers-trade-anaheim-ducks-address-team-needs/

Here's the article where Jonathan Bailey suggests the Ristolainen/Konecny for Zegras and others deal.

If i can get Mctavish and Zegras i'm pulling that trigger.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 7:22 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

https://phillyhockeynow.com/2024/04/24/philadelphia-flyers-trade-anaheim-ducks-address-team-needs/

Here's the article where Jonathan Bailey suggests the Ristolainen/Konecny for Zegras and others deal.

I would be absolutely stunned if TK is traded.  It's not what Flyer management does.  Of course it would be the right thing to do if they're actually rebuilding.  But that is never what this franchise does.

• Uggh... 1

On 4/25/2024 at 5:09 PM, GratefulFlyers said:

Michael Jordan was an a-hole

just sayin

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

what is this obsession with Zegras? Not you OC just in general. The guy sucks at more than 50% of the game (apparently by choice) and obviously he and Tortorella will never get along. Seriously there’s better options out there for the Flyers…even if they fired Tortorella.

• Good Post 1

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would pull that trigger (then see what I could get for Zegras elsewhere). I can't see the Ducks doing it though.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 10:19 AM, GratefulFlyers said:

what is this obsession with Zegras? Not you OC just in general. The guy sucks at more than 50% of the game (apparently by choice) and obviously he and Tortorella will never get along. Seriously there’s better options out there for the Flyers…even if they fired Tortorella.

guess it would depend on cost?...if they get him for a song, might be worth the gamble....

On 4/25/2024 at 7:19 PM, radoran said:

image.gif

If it was easy everyone would do it.

You don't "find" those guys, those guys - Point, Robertson, Aho, Debrincat - make themselves.

Oh, and before @flyercanuck gets here you also have to have second rounders...

:hocky:

nobody said it was easy, but they do seem to struggle with picks outside the first round..I think what Jonesy meant was they need to do better in the early rounds finding talent that becomes integral parts of the team...so they don't HAVE to go the trade route or the FA route....

6 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

nobody said it was easy, but they do seem to struggle with picks outside the first round..I think what Jonesy meant was they need to do better in the early rounds finding talent that becomes integral parts of the team...so they don't HAVE to go the trade route or the FA route....

There are 22 active second round players who average .5 points per game or better. That's not even one per team (Dallas has two!)

Fun fact - Point was a third round pick.

There are 20 active third rounders who average .5 points per game or better. Again, not even one per team...

There are 158 active first rounders who average .5 points per game or better.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl-draft/en/round/1-round-draft-picks-active-players-all-time-points-per-game-leaders.html

We can "hope" for an impact player in the 2/3 round, but teams are made in the first round - usually near the top of the first round...

Moreover, adding "a Point" to this roster doesn't make them anywhere near a contender.

On 4/22/2024 at 11:06 AM, Howie58 said:

There is clearly some truth to the value of Laughton in their assessment.  You've got a Poehling (who probably has more upside offensively) and Hathaway gets under the nerves of opponents.  From that vantage, Laughts' value as a committed "Swiss Knife" may or may not be what it was a few years ago.

There are times I wonder if Laughts is kept on board to show that a Flyers' first-rounder can actually pan out.  It seems rare.  I agree with @mojo1917 about the PHLY staff.  Matz is funny.  The woman (I think her name is Karen) is generally very quiet, but her take often mixes sarcasm with a knife blade.    

So ruxpin=Karen? Who knew……🥷🏻

1 hour ago, radoran said:

There are 22 active second round players who average .5 points per game or better. That's not even one per team (Dallas has two!)

There are 20 active third rounders who average .5 points per game or better. Again, not even one per team...

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl-draft/en/round/1-round-draft-picks-active-players-all-time-points-per-game-leaders.html

We can "hope" for an impact player in the 2/3 round, but teams are made in the first round - usually near the top of the first round...

Moreover, adding "a Point" to this roster doesn't make them anywhere near a contender.

agreed, one player does not put them over the top...not arguing with you there, maybe it just means that they have to change up their draft methodology/process...and to a certain extent they have with the Matvei drafting...I think we can all agree that they are swinging for the fences on that one...and some might say that this was a fundamental change of their process wherein they might have gone for the 'safe' pick....
  I for one am glad they are taking the chance, and if Matvei doesn't work out, or gets blocked in the same manner that Fedotov was...we can still say it was worth the risk to draft him...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

they have to change up their draft methodology/process

They have to change up their propensity for shipping off draft picks.

The 2011 2nd that "could have" gotten Kucherov was shipped to Arizona with Scottie Upshall for Dan Carcillo. No, really.

The 2014 3rd that "could have" gotten Point (or Ilya Sorokin, the player who the Isles picked with it) was shipped out for Andrew MacDonald.

The Flyers from 2010-2020 got nine players out of the first round who played significant time as NHL players. The Lightning got six.

The primary difference here being that the Lightning got Stamkos (#1 overall) and Hedman (#2) the two drafts prior to that.

49 minutes ago, radoran said:

They have to change up their propensity for shipping off draft picks.

The 2011 2nd that "could have" gotten Kucherov was shipped to Arizona with Scottie Upshall for Dan Carcillo. No, really.

The 2014 3rd that "could have" gotten Point (or Ilya Sorokin, the player who the Isles picked with it) was shipped out for Andrew MacDonald.

The Flyers from 2010-2020 got nine players out of the first round who played significant time as NHL players. The Lightning got six.

The primary difference here being that the Lightning got Stamkos (#1 overall) and Hedman (#2) the two drafts prior to that.

and luckily (and hopefully) Danny B seems to "get" this and continues to say that he intends to build through the draft...I'll take it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, radoran said:

Point -Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman, Cooper =Laughton

12 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Why would a player change agents when he is on his very last contract with 6 years to go. Hopefully he's demanding a trade, but who would want him.

From reports Coots blames his agent for causing problems between him and his agent.

So yeah he either quit or got fired.