Most frustrating Flyer

Guest Digityman

I'm sure Simmonds would be the first to admit of not having a better game, but....he'll shake it off.

I think Simmonds is the same as all kids. He's going to have good games and lousy ones. The trick with young players is to be able to assess an upward trend, and not obsess over downward dips.

That's a hard job.

Hopefully there is someone in the Flyer organization capable of it.

20 games in I have to say that Simmonds has creeped to the top of my list for the most frustrating flyer. Hartnel and Carle are a close second but have seemed to pick up the pace.

I have to agree. I cringe every time Simmonds handles the puck. He seems to be easily knocked off the puck lately.

I would agree with Simmonds... he had a really nice start to the season, but has tailed off. I say put him on the 4th line with Couturier and Rinaldo or Z when Schenn returns.

I am not ready to quit on Simmonds either. He already hits like a 4th line player and putting him on the 4th instead of Schenn when he comes back will make more sense. IMO , Harry Z. will be the next Shelley victim when Schenn returns......

Disappointed with Simmonds in a big way.

Watched him a few times play the Sharks last year since I live in Palo Alto. The guy always seemed like he skated like a young deer....Tall, gangly and goofy. That and the fact that he doesn't seem to know how to get the puck out of the zone.

Briere right now is causing me some discomfort, but he does not have his old line mates, so I'm not surprised.

Briere of course has a much higher probability of turning his game around. Simmonds does not inspire much confidence

JVR....not ready to give up on him, as he shows hints of what he could become, but "Mighty G" he is not

OTOH....Couturier and Read are giving other teams fits...that's just swell

Edited by spacin007

Disappointed with Simmonds in a big way.

Briere right now is causing me some discomfort, but he does not have his old line mates, so I'm not surprised.

JVR....not ready to give up on him, as he shows hints of what he could become, but "Mighty G" he is not

JVR - I expected this. After such an amazing playoffs last year, he didn't have any more room to go up - only down. I think that was JVR's ceiling.

Briere - He's up and down and always has been. But it's different then Hartnel's being up for 3 weeks, down for 3 weeks roller-coaster. IMO Briere goes for a good 4-5 months and then back down for a month or 2. I think by the new year you'll see him back up to 2 goals every 4-5 games. Just a guess obviously.

Hands down for me it's Shelley - because he's eating up a valuable roster spot and cap space and contributes nothing. At least on ice where these guys are supposed to earn it. Then I'd have to say Bryz - I just want him to consistently play like he's worth the $51 million he's getting paid. Followed closely by Simmonds, in third.

The thread title is most "FRUSTRATING" Flyer. I'm not frustrated with Simmonds--he is exactly what I expected at this point in his career. But, frustrating?!--has to be D. Briere for me. He's MUCH BETTER that how he is playing right now. He has the potential for greatness and it is frustrating for me to watch him play below that potential. He just hasn't seemed to get out of 1st gear this season. He is especially slow in the first period. His play improves when the Flyers backs are against the wall. That indicates to me it is more of a mental thing than physical athleticism. Danny B. needs to step up his game. He seems tentative on forechecking and his indecisive in the zone. He's needs to loosen up and let it rip-he's better than what we're seeing right now IMHO.

for me it's been bryzgalov... i thought he'd roll in and be solid, don't worry about the young guys you get me four and we'll win...i guess he needs to work into form or something, and while some the goals he's had some bad bounces and /or no chance , he doesn't appear to compete to make saves when there's a bunch of bodies in the crease, and that is disturbing as that's what we'll see when the games start to mean something. you want your big dollar keeper to be set it and forget it thus far this hasn't been the case

for me it's been bryzgalov... i thought he'd roll in and be solid, don't worry about the young guys you get me four and we'll win...i guess he needs to work into form or something, and while some the goals he's had some bad bounces and /or no chance , he doesn't appear to compete to make saves when there's a bunch of bodies in the crease, and that is disturbing as that's what we'll see when the games start to mean something. you want your big dollar keeper to be set it and forget it thus far this hasn't been the case

yeah Bryz for me as well. There's a bunch of frustrating things going on with this team but I'd say the one for me is Bryz. With the hoopla and the money, I expected more than we've seen. I expected the most out of him than any of our other new acquisitions so of course if they all aren't meeting my expectations, then he'd be disappointing me the most. I guess I just didn't expect all that much out of our new acquisitions so they aren't really letting me down.

Lavi seems to be suffering from early dementia,Simmonds is doing just fine. Giroux seems to have fallen on hard times since since Jagr isn't available to feed him pucks.The most frustrating group on the Flyers is the entire defense,they play like the little train that couldn't!!!

Most frustrating = Bryz.

Runner Up = JVR.

I say JVR because even though his production is up, he seems very selective in when he ups his game and when he doesn't. Part of it might be that he's still maturing (he's only 22) and growing into his role, but when you see him dominate one game or a period, and then become invisible the next, that's frustrating.

Ya, it's not like JVR sucks or anything Bre. It's just the kid shows you so much and then is almost invisible for long stretches. He's got the talent to put up 100 points, but the compete level to be happy with 50-60.

That;s exactly it. I'm hoping it's just part of the maturing process... though our #22 overall pick is WAY more developed than our #2 overall ;) Just sayin'

I was hoping for more consistency in goal from either Bryz and steady back-up Bob... I don't think we are there, yet...

I think the team got a jump start thanks to the idiot in London, Ont. that threw the bananna peel at Simmonds. That said, now a quarter in, they should be gelling on a more consistent basis.

Voracek anyone?

On the other hand, the rookies are basically leading the team, and Jagr has been a pleasant surprise -- not that I bought into the lazy/actor reputation that preceeded him, but the fact he is still basically a point-per-game player is fairly amazing.