Knuble is Back

hf101

We were just discussing in chat during the last game, the Flyers could use a veteran presence....but like rad would rather have seen Arnott. We got a bit slower today, and thats never good. On the positvie side, Mike can play on any line, is a good veteran leader (we were a bit young at forward) and works hard.

you mean the mike knuble that couldn't break into the mediocre caps line up last year, where does he play ? i mean with whom do you put him with? too bad we can't sign him to a temporary nba type contract. not excited by this.

Howdy:

I could see this as a short-term event with waiver once Hartnell is back. About the only downside is taking time away from a youngster but that may not be such a problem now with too few vets. I always liked the guy and hope he has some gas left. He seemed like a class act.

Best,

Howie

• Like 1

So 3 vets out of 18 skaters may be enough for you....but now it is down to 2 with Hartnell out

They are not just vets, they are part of the leadership group. I am not poo - pooing Knuble as a leader, but I just don't see the need for that attribute alone. 8 weeks max of no hartnell sucks for sure, but it is not like he is not going to be around and vocal. What about Talbot?? My point was that there is plenty of veteran leadership on the team and that is not a need that we need to fill.

• Like 2

They are not just vets, they are part of the leadership group. I am not poo - pooing Knuble as a leader, but I just don't see the need for that attribute alone. 8 weeks max of no hartnell sucks for sure, but it is not like he is not going to be around and vocal. What about Talbot?? My point was that there is plenty of veteran leadership on the team and that is not a need that we need to fill.

Ok....you mrntioned 3 leaders, not me.....Max is def one as well.......Coburn too!

Knuble on the PP is an attribute....Look, for the low cost of MK, I believe it was a decent pickup....anyone else(Arnott,etc) would have cost a heck of a lot more....it he really is washed up we can waive him as quick as we signed him.

Being a little over analytical VF of my thread....ya think?

Edited by Vegas Flyer

Ok....you mrntioned 3 leaders, not me.....Max is def one as well.......Coburn too!

Knuble on the PP is an attribute....Look, for the low cost of MK, I believe it was a decent pickup....anyone else(Arnott,etc) would have cost a heck of a lot more....it he really is washed up we can waive him as quick as we signed him.

Being a little over analytical VF of my thread....ya think?

its all good. I like Mike as a person, leader and a player. I just think it is a Leclair-esque signing. Both players have the same attributes (ie. good person, leader and player). But both are similar in their time being up. Neither are a recchi / chelios type of player.

The money is fine and even if waived, will not have an adverse impact on our cap. What will matter is that if he is waived and goes plays for the Phantoms, he takes up a contract spot. I will be rooting for him to succeed because I always liked him and thought he was an upstanding guy. On the business / team side of things, I just do not get it. I would have just of signed Jagr again (still a bitter taste in my mouth after that).

On the a bit over-analytical part, just expressing my POV. Nothing more, nothing less. It is a discussion board after all.

Cheers

I would have gone with Sykora or Arnott over Knuble as a stopgap - although it is possible they wouldn't accept that role.

Knuble's game fell off a cliff last season (6-12-18 in 72 after 8 20/40 (minimum) seasons).

Absolutely god--- right. WTF is with the Flyers and retreads? I know every team does it and it's fine. But Ol' Man Knuble? Mr. "I-Go-Where-The-Money-Goes" Knuble. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean he didn't play well for us (and for every other team he's been with). And if this were 3 years ago he'd be a great stopgap while Harts heals. But he looked terrible last year, just flat out terrible. Yes it was the whole team, I can't argue that. The Caps had bigger problems than the molasses in Knuble's skates. But it was pretty clear he was done with the battle; in a word, "toast."

The only saving grace might be playing alongside Simmonds. That guy fights and battles harder than 90% of any in the Flyers' 40-odd year history. He may just spark the last remaining fuel in Knuble's tank and light him up for this short season.