What to do at goalie

icehole

This is my plan. First, amnesty Bryz and Briere. Pick up a goalie (possibly in later draft rounds), pay him less than $1 mill to start every tenth to fifthteenth game. Pick up two good defensmen. Let Mason start for half the season and see how he does. Hopefully he plays to the potential that a lot of people think he can play to and with the combination of a solid defense, they will be greatly improved.

After half the season and before Mason and his agent start to think about getting major money, offer him a 3 year/$3.5mill extension. I think that is a fair number for him to accept. If he still plays well two years into that extension, give him whatever it will take to keep him out of free agency (I'm thinking of a 6 year/$5+mill deal).

Mason looks pretty good and could be really good if they can improve their defense. This plan gives the flyers an easy out until they are sure he can play for them for a while. It also keeps him away from other teams that might want him. If he ends up to be really good, they give him a big contract at the age of 28. If he flops, they still have a young promissing goalie they can get rid of. They were burned by Bryz because nobody wants a 7 year/$5.5mill per year contract for an older goalie with a save percentage of like .885.

I have read several tweets/comments from reporters regarding an organizational divide about a buyout for Bryz. I would love to hear the point/counterpoint.

Honestly---what are the reasons people want to keep him? Money? They don't want to pay him not to play for them? Pride? Don't want to admit a mistake? Not much in the UFA market next year? Someone actually things he's the answer?? God forbid if that is the correct one.

wondering what @ruxpin thinks about buying out Briere and Bryzgalov...

What say you, rux? something we should consider?

:ph34r:

I think we should pay someone to do something with their skates and have insurance take care of it.

I buy out Briere this summer and Bryz next summer if you're really asking. Both this summer if they're having a significant issue getting under the reduced cap for next season.

I have read several tweets/comments from reporters regarding an organizational divide about a buyout for Bryz. I would love to hear the point/counterpoint.

Honestly---what are the reasons people want to keep him? Money? They don't want to pay him not to play for them? Pride? Don't want to admit a mistake? Not much in the UFA market next year? Someone actually things he's the answer?? God forbid if that is the correct one.

I think a little of all of the above. There may actually be a contingent that thinks circumstances rather than goalie contributed to his steady decline as the season progressed. But it probably does come down to a bit of pride and a lot of money.

@icehole

Agree with buyouts of Bryz and Briere. Mason has had a VERY good start with the Flyers and I (want to) believe he will be a good goalie for us. However, we all need to take a calm approach with Mason. He is most likely not going to be the messiah in goal we've all been waiting for and that's actually fine by me, cause good enough is what my expectations are for a Flyers goalie.

All Flyers fans should tone the expectations down for Mason, otherwise we will end up ruining a good thing. Mason has something good going for him, but when he hits a rough patch, and he WILL everybody does, Flyers fans need to be patient with him. Otherwise, if he starts getting booed by his own fans, pressure will rise, stress, media attention, etc, etc resulting in Mason getting no confidence and it will be VERY tough to get that back again in this pressure cooker that is philly.

He is most likely not going to be a Brodeur, Lundqvist, Rinne, etc...but I believe he will be good enough, letting in the occasional soft goal, but still good enough. So let's just all be pleased about that and not expect more too soon.

I mean you are already talking about a contract extension with a severe pay increase eventhough he just signed a contract??? the dude has played, what, 3 games for us and has just gotten a one year deal. Slow down man...I understand your enthusiasm, but be realistic. and if we want mason to do well here, no way he should ride mason as a workhorse.

• Like 2

Hi there, Flyers fans. Funny how the short season can seem so long. I would axe Bryz immediately. Snider can afford it. The owners probably are able to tax defer buyout money anyway.Why else would they put it in the CBA. He's a nut. Time for some stability in Flyer land, especially in goal. I would keep Briere for now, hopefully he will be healthy and willing to accept a trade at some point next season. I also hope they are patient and don't think the cup is close. A few years away at best. Without depth on the blueline it won't happen. That has to be the priority right now. Mason is a big game goalie, he dominated the WJC a few years back. He will be fine. The forwards need a lot of maturing, especially Hartnell and Giroux, the 2 leaders of the group. This is where I think Briere can help. This draft is a key time for all teams, there is tremendous depth in this draft. Holmgren needs a good draft to build for the future. Stop winning these worthless games to solidify a solid 1st pick. I would also place a call to Larry Robinson and/or Jaques Laperriere about coaching the defence. These guys have proven their worth. Get someone who can get it done. If Yandle can be had at a reasonable price I would do it. You cannot have 5 young centers who all play a similar game. One of them can be used as an asset to acquire a stud d-man. Isn't it fun playing GM with a non-playoff team. Enjoy the nice spring weather!

• Like 1

I'll take a stab:

1) Sunk Costs: org. has paid $16.5M to Bryzgalov over two years

2) "Explanations": defense hasn't had starting six on ice all season; Flyers have used 37 players in 43 games.

3) Right Decision: Ed could be convinced he made the "right decision" regardless of what we think

4) Replacement: there is no viable "starter" replacement (unless organization (note: not fans) believes Mason is "it" rightnow). A trade for Bernier, for example, might change that.

5) Buyout Cost: Paying $1.6M a year for 14 years is a good way to be continually reminded what a screwup it was. Then again, this team was paying something like five head coaches at some point.

I'm going with "we never had a chance to compete with the team we anticipated having on the ice. We believe we have a team that can compete for the Stanley Cup."

• Like 1

Probably best answer right there. There is no real need to free up that much cap space this year unless you'd like to tempt Homer to go on a spending spree... say, $5 million/yr for Gonchar? Second reason (maybe actually more important than the first) is that I don't want to anoint Mason the starter just yet (if ever). He's looked good so far but he's looked good before and we know how that went. Let him back up Bryz, get a good look at him next season, then go from there. Other than making some fans happy there is no real benefit to buying out Bryz this year.

First, amnesty Bryz and Briere.

...Next trade our increasingly less valuable first rounder to the Kings for Bernier's rights and sign him to a three or four year deal. Let Bernier and Mason battle it out. best man wins.

-Then Sign the best D-man you can afford... there are no Webers but plenty of decent UFA D men coming up this year. Mark Streit for instnace.

-Trade Mezaros

-Trade a forward prospect (we have a ton) for Jamie McBain (Carolina was shopping him at the deadline and we were in on it)

-Sign an elder statesman Forward like Jagr or Iginla for as little as they'll take. Go for Iggy if you can, just to keep him from resigning with the Pens.

-Platoon Manning and Gus for as many #6 Big League minutes as you can.

-Make sure Couturier has intensive skating lessons and drills with the best coach you can find every day all summer.

Honestly, there should be money left over after all that to play with other forwards.

Other than making some fans happy there is no real benefit to buying out Bryz this year.

I don't agree there's no benefit to getting rid of Bryzgalov. He's paid to be a goalie who steals games yet most of his wins are only when the team has played its very best. (I didn't say "all")

Playing in front of a guy like that eventually gets on your last nerve. It isn't the money it isn't the goofiness - that comes later. It's getting beat 5-hole because his stick isn't on the ice. It's standing frozen deep in his net on the breakaways and the odd-mans (which the Flyers know they'll have given Lavy's style of play). It's having to chase rebounds all over the ice when any other goalie would've given you a stop.

That quick rest can make a big difference - especially when it happens so much (or doesn't happen I should say). I noticed it in the Rags game last night. Flyers on a B2B, 3rd period, legs are heavy but they were able to stay with it and defend, they kept blocking lanes and made strong outlets and clears till the end. Part of the reason they could do that good work was because they didn't have to chase pucks all night.

At some point you expect your coaches, management to make a change. Is it too much to ask for a goalie who does at least one thing really well?

• Like 1

...Next trade our increasingly less valuable first rounder to the Kings for Bernier's rights and sign him to a three or four year deal. Let Bernier and Mason battle it out. best man wins.

-Then Sign the best D-man you can afford... there are no Webers but plenty of decent UFA D men coming up this year. Mark Streit for instnace.

-Trade Mezaros

-Trade a forward prospect (we have a ton) for Jamie McBain (Carolina was shopping him at the deadline and we were in on it)

-Sign an elder statesman Forward like Jagr or Iginla for as little as they'll take. Go for Iggy if you can, just to keep him from resigning with the Pens.

-Platoon Manning and Gus for as many #6 Big League minutes as you can.

-Make sure Couturier has intensive skating lessons and drills with the best coach you can find every day all summer.

Honestly, there should be money left over after all that to play with other forwards.

It would be great if Holmgren could trade for Bernier because he's stuck behind Quick and won't get the chance to be a number one in LA plus if the Flyers get him then the Devils won't.

Cutting your losses on a bad decision is always tough, especially while the whole world is watching and the guy you let go is winning the Vezina.

@icehole

Agree with buyouts of Bryz and Briere. Mason has had a VERY good start with the Flyers and I (want to) believe he will be a good goalie for us. However, we all need to take a calm approach with Mason. He is most likely not going to be the messiah in goal we've all been waiting for and that's actually fine by me, cause good enough is what my expectations are for a Flyers goalie.

All Flyers fans should tone the expectations down for Mason, otherwise we will end up ruining a good thing. Mason has something good going for him, but when he hits a rough patch, and he WILL everybody does, Flyers fans need to be patient with him. Otherwise, if he starts getting booed by his own fans, pressure will rise, stress, media attention, etc, etc resulting in Mason getting no confidence and it will be VERY tough to get that back again in this pressure cooker that is philly.

He is most likely not going to be a Brodeur, Lundqvist, Rinne, etc...but I believe he will be good enough, letting in the occasional soft goal, but still good enough. So let's just all be pleased about that and not expect more too soon.

I mean you are already talking about a contract extension with a severe pay increase eventhough he just signed a contract??? the dude has played, what, 3 games for us and has just gotten a one year deal. Slow down man...I understand your enthusiasm, but be realistic. and if we want mason to do well here, no way he should ride mason as a workhorse.

I don't need Mason to be great. If he's as equally below average as bryzgalov at 1/3 the caphit that's a good enough reason to keep him and jetison the flotsam.

<br />I don't need Mason to be great. If he's as equally below average as bryzgalov at 1/3 the caphit that's a good enough reason to keep him and jetison the flotsam. <br />

that's a good point that gets lost sometimes. if mason can put up a .890, then performance-wise they are even. take the relative cap hits into account, and I really don't understand anything resembling a keep-bryzgalov point of view.

• Like 1

I don't need Mason to be great. If he's as equally below average as bryzgalov at 1/3 the cap hit that's a good enough reason to keep him and jetison the flotsam.

Mason's puck handling skills alone make him a better option than Bryz will ever be even if he can't maintain the .950 save percentage. Briere needs to be bought out. Money wise, you buy him out for 2/3 of his salary over twice the years left on the deal right? so you are paying him 825k over a 4 year period to lose 13 mil worth of cap hit for 2 years. Even if I worship Briere, I have to look at that as my most viable option to get cap space. I hate Bryz with a passion but he still will probably get one more year to "showcase" his skills........

• Like 1

I agree rod. As much as I'd like to be rid of Bryz I could see Snider wanting to take one more year of salary off before the buyout, Then he'll only look like 93% of the idiot he is for bringing that plague to my team.

Brieres seems like a no brainer solely for the caphit. But his complete non-effort this entire season has really pizzed me off.

that's a good point that gets lost sometimes. if mason can put up a .890, then performance-wise they are even. take the relative cap hits into account, and I really don't understand anything resembling a keep-bryzgalov point of view.

@aziz

And that's without even mentioning Bryzgalovs nutjob dingbat persona that I doubt has much of a positive effect in the room.

Ed Snider says "hello"

http://www.csnphilly...amn-good-goalie

Snider said he goes into every season thinking his team can win the Stanley Cup. This is no different, he said. He also said he has every confidence that goalie Ilya Bryzgalov will rebound positively from his uneven first season as a Flyer.

Were in good shape in goal, Snider said. I have a lot of faith in Bryzgalov. I think hell do a real good job for us.

http://sports.yahoo....33802--nhl.html

Snider wanted the club to sign Ilya Bryzgalov to a long-term deal, and despite the Russian’s up and down season, the chairman still stands behind his goaltender.

“I don't think Bryzgalov has been the problem,” Snider said. “I mean, he's had to face so many breakaways and 2-on-1s where we turn over the puck suddenly. I think it's the team. I think we're fine in goal.”

I'm told Ed has some influence on what happens with the Flyers' organization.