Mckenzie on Bryz. Bye Bye

Bear in mind, Bernier might as well be B Schenn, unrealized potential. Read is a more proven commodity. I'd still do the deal, but try to get a pick out of LA as well. Bernier is not a guarantee.

I wouldn't mind going into the season with Mason and Bernier fighting for the #1 position. Plus opening up a roster spot might create an opportunity for a young guy on the roster, or a slick ufa signing.

• Like 3

I think Matt Read is a tough player to give up. He's already a 40-60 point player in my mind and can play in most situations.

Having said that. I believe Bernier is the real deal. Read for Bernier is a good deal.

Going from Bryz to Mason/Bernier tandem is pretty amazing in 6 months.

• Like 1

I think Matt Read is a tough player to give up. He's already a 40-60 point player in my mind and can play in most situations.

Having said that. I believe Bernier is the real deal. Read for Bernier is a good deal.

Going from Bryz to Mason/Bernier tandem is pretty amazing in 6 months.

Agree with the Matt Read part. I believe he has reached his potential.

Brayden Schenn has not reached his potential and could possibly turn into a very good to superstar player. Tougher to get rid of him.

Couts is slow. Trade him now because his value will never be higher. Teams will realize that and his value will plummet.

I'm not sold on Bernier. I haven't seen him play enough to pass judgment. My gut tells me that Luongo will be bought out this summer and could be signed to replace Bryz at a cheaper price tag (2.5-3 mm). He is a very good tender that had a little bit of a tough time in Vancouver behind a talented, but soft team. He could prosper in the right situation.

Verstatile players like Read are not a dime a dozen. You can basically plug him in anywhere (other than #1 center) and he doesn't look out of place. Bernier STILL hasn't proven he can play as a #1 goalie. He's not going to look anywhere near as good in Phillys system as he does in LAs. (Remember Bryz and how a lot of guys thought he was the answer?)

On the other hand Bernier does look interesting and Read may well be gone at the end of the year. But platooning 2 unproven goalies with Lavys system just seems like it will result in two more for the trash heap. He needs to add more of a 2way dimension to his gameplan.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

Other than this guy @ericsuperfan has anyone mentioned the Read/Bernier deal? I get a little suspicious when someone who calls himself "superfan" starts throwing rumors around on Twitter. Maybe it's legit, but I don't recall any reputable reporters mentioning this before now.

• Like 1

In a way, getting Bernier for Read seems like a pretty solid move, and one we would be crazy to pass up. But like @flyercanuck said, he's not a dime a dozen player. He may have peaked production-wise, but the guy is heart and soul on the ice, and plays in all situations. He reminds me of a less-talented Brind'Amour in a way.

In any case, let's assume Read for Bernier. And I will also go out on a limb and say we will trade Coots for Shattenkirk (or Pietrangelo if we can really sweeten the pot). But if the Blues let Pietrangelo go, the GM should be fired.

And assume Bryz and Briere bought out.

Simmonds/G/Voracek

Hartnell/Schenn/???

Gagne/Laughton/Talbot

McGinn/Hall/Rinaldo

Timo/Schenn

Coburn/Shattenkirk

Gus/Grossman

Mason/Bernier

I kinda like that. The only hole is 2nd line winger... if we buy out Bryz this year, we might be able to keep Briere for the season. If not, we sign a UFA winger.

I'd be fine with Gagne on line 2, or McGinn if he earns it. Hall won't be resigned, Talbot will center line 3 likely, and Laughton should be stashed for another year in juniors. Rinaldo should play wing on line 3. I would prefer signing a grinder for line 4, as they know their role and embrace it. You also forgot Rosehill on line 4. That leaves one slot on line 3 to see what's available for ufa talent or a surprise at training camp.

It seems a little thin on higher end talent, but we shall see with the cap.

In a way, getting Bernier for Read seems like a pretty solid move

At the same time unless LA feels they need to move him now over the summer this is a move that could wait...at least till later in the up coming season when you have a better grasp of what you have.

And maybe after you make an midseason attempt at resigning Read and say can't get it done then you could flip him for Bernier just so as you get something for Read with a trade and not left empty handed with his departure...just a thought.

Edit: Another free agent winger to fill out the lineup i would look at is Denis Hollenstein...worth a look he played really good in the past WC.

Can't hurt...Melzter's write up:

Denis Hollenstein (W): As a teenager, Hollenstein came to North America to play junior hockey with the OHL's Guelph Storm in order to improve his chances at playing in the NHL. He did not have much success with Guelph and returned home after two mediocre OHL seasons. Now 23, he's been a late-bloomer in his home league. There wasn't much North American interest in him during the 2012-13 season, despite a strong season for the Kloten Flyers (12 goals, 37 points, plus-15, 89 penalty minutes in 48 regular season games, followed by five points in five relegation-round games). However, he turned some heads at the Worlds, tallying four goals, eight points and posting a plus-four rating in 10 games. He did not look out of place even against current or former NHL players, albeit on the larger rink under international rules. Hollenstein has average size (6-foot, 195 pounds) but is a good skater who sees the ice well and has demonstrated above-average hockey sense

Edited by OccamsRazor

At the same time unless LA feels they need to move him now over the summer this is a move that could wait...at least till later in the up coming season when you have a better grasp of what you have.

And maybe after you make an midseason attempt at resigning Read and say can't get it done then you could flip him for Bernier just so as you get something for Read with a trade and not left empty handed with his departure...just a thought.

I think the urgency for LA is that Bernier is an RFA. They can qualify him at $1.375M, and he may or may not accept it. Maybe he's hoping for an offer sheet. It depends on how much he feels he wants a real shot at #1 elsewhere. He will never get that shot in LA.

Now, it doesn't mean he won't accept that salary elsewhere. So, say $1.5M in Philly with a true shot to be a starter is already an improvement for Bernier, I would think.

Now, it doesn't mean he won't accept that salary elsewhere. So, say $1.5M in Philly with a true shot to be a starter is already an improvement for Bernier, I would think.

No so sure on this guy so much just because he is so unproven and so small by today's standard...and not so sure he would look the same in the Flyer's system...if you wan to call what they run a system.

So if you want to really shake things you swing a trade for Josi (or Blum and Hellberg from Nashville) Coots and fill in the blank...Nashville needs forward help and have defensemen and goaltending coming out their ears!!!!!!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=8943

he could be Mason's backup next year...already one spectacular season in the A under his belt!

No so sure on this guy so much just because he is so unproven and so small by today's standard...and not so sure he would look the same in the Flyer's system...if you wan to call what they run a system.

So if you want to really shake things you swing a trade for Josi (or Blum and Hellberg from Nashville) Coots and fill in the blank...Nashville needs forward help and have defensemen and goaltending coming out their ears!!!!!!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...rs/bio/?id=8943

he could be Mason's backup next year...already one spectacular season in the A under his belt!

I'm not sold on Bernier either... but as unproven as Bernier is, he's still way more proven than Hellberg ;)

I imagine if we traded for Hellberg, he'd be in Adirondack, right? Unless you think he can step into the backup role immediately. And it's one thing for you and I to think that, but I don't believe for a second that Snider and Homer would go that route. If they buy out Bryz, and Bernier is not the backup, they will sign some over the hill yet reliable journeyman veteran goalie to back up Mason, and pick up the slack if he falters.

Bernier STILL hasn't proven he can play as a #1 goalie. He's not going to look anywhere near as good in Phillys system as he does in LAs.

I like Bernier, don't get me wrong. And I admittedly haven't seen enough of him so take this with a grain:

I can't help shake the feeling we're talking about Biron all over again. I'd really rather not trade Read for him.

• Like 1

If you can get Bernier for Read straight up you pull the trigger and don't look back. Read is due for a big raise after this year (probably in $3.5-4.5 range) and we have a lot of other guys to worry about locking up soon. Most likely we won't be able to re-sign him, if you can get a young goalie with that much upside for a pending UFA you do it, plain and simple.

That being said, I think there might be higher bidders for Bernier's services.

• Like 1

I imagine if we traded for Hellberg, he'd be in Adirondack, right?

Yes unless he is amazing like Bob won a chance to backup, another year in the A wouldn't hurt (for example Crawford spent 3-4 year in the A with a sprinkling up call up time between) i'm ok with giving them time .

With Bryz gone i'd just bring some other vet in if it's not going to be Emery my first choice.

Nick Backstrom would make a nice backup...no? :blink:

Or Dan Ellis.

Read for Bernier is a good deal.

According to the RFA compensation scale in the new CBA, the Flyers could offer Bernier up to $3.364 million per season and they'd only owe the Kings a single, measly second round pick in return.

HHHHhhhhhhmmmm.....really....that would make Hexy real mad!!!!!

http://www.philly.co...he_Kings__.html

...hahaha...and then still keep Read for one more season!

Edited by OccamsRazor

Bernier is a big ? but is he any more risky than keeping Bryz around another season? I feel alot better going into the season with Mason/Bernier tandem than the Bryz/Leighton we had this past season.

• Like 1

I think the urgency for LA is that Bernier is an RFA. They can qualify him at $1.375M, and he may or may not accept it. Maybe he's hoping for an offer sheet. It depends on how much he feels he wants a real shot at #1 elsewhere. He will never get that shot in LA.
According to the RFA compensation scale in the new CBA, the Flyers could offer Bernier up to $3.364 million per season and they'd only owe the Kings a single, measly second round pick in return.

HHHHhhhhhhmmmm.....really....that would make Hexy real mad!!!!!

I support the offer sheet approach for Bernie, particularly if the potential cost is as little as a 2nd (can that be right?). But given the close relationship with Flyers West, I can't see Home doing it. I can see him pursuing a trade though. I'm not at all certain that LA would accept Read straight up for Bernier.

I keep hearing that Bernie is "unproven," but he has a .915 GAA as the Kings backup in the NHL. And he is a two-time winner of the goalie of the year award in the AHL taking his team to the finals twice. He has won a World Junior Gold Medal and a Spengler Cup. He was the MVP in the QMHL playoffs, in a winning effort, as an 18 year old.

There's a word for all that: pedigree. He hasn't even turned 25 yet and the only reason he is not a starter is because he plays behind the best goalie on the planet right now. I think Read and a 2nd might get him, probably another, lesser, prospect is required.

• Like 1

I support the offer sheet approach for Bernie, particularly if the potential cost is as little as a 2nd (can that be right?). But given the close relationship with Flyers West, I can't see Home doing it. I can see him pursuing a trade though. I'm not at all certain that LA would accept Read straight up for Bernier.

I keep hearing that Bernie is "unproven," but he has a .915 GAA as the Kings backup in the NHL. And he is a two-time winner of the goalie of the year award in the AHL taking his team to the finals twice. He has won a World Junior Gold Medal and a Spengler Cup. He was the MVP in the QMHL playoffs, in a winning effort, as an 18 year old.

There's a word for all that: pedigree. He hasn't even turned 25 yet and the only reason he is not a starter is because he plays behind the best goalie on the planet right now. I think Read and a 2nd might get him, probably another, lesser, prospect is required.

If giving up Read and possibly a 2nd rounder for Bernier and the Flyers can buyout Bryzgalov then I'm all for it. Besides the last thing I want to see is New Jersey trade for him and he turns out to be a pain in the Flyers asses for the next 10 years like Brodeur has been all of these years. Having Bernier and Mason fight it out for the number one spot isn't a bad thing.

Besides the last thing I want to see is New Jersey trade for him and he turns out to be a pain in the Flyers asses for the next 10 years like Brodeur has been all of these years

Exactly. Gimme the French Canadian goalie every time! (ok, ok, I know there was the Maxim Ouellette debacle, but you can't win em all)

Having Bernier and Mason fight it out for the number one spot isn't a bad thing.

Not bad at all - they both have shown plenty of brilliant play, both are athletic, smart and fast. Bernier may be "unproven" but whenever I watch him he reminds me more of Bob than anyone else. Smaller than most but quick as hell and very composed. Granted I've seen maybe 6 games where he started but he never looked rattled, has great puck-handling ability and just looks "ready" all the time.

In any case, whatever it takes to get rid of Bryzgalov is a Good Thing, even if that means we go with the Shooter Tutor next season! Swear to god I'd rather see a hunk of plywood in net than Bryzgalov.

Not bad at all - they both have shown plenty of brilliant play, both are athletic, smart and fast. Bernier may be "unproven" but whenever I watch him he reminds me more of Bob than anyone else. Smaller than most but quick as hell and very composed. Granted I've seen maybe 6 games where he started but he never looked rattled, has great puck-handling ability and just looks "ready" all the time.

In any case, whatever it takes to get rid of Bryzgalov is a Good Thing, even if that means we go with the Shooter Tutor next season! Swear to god I'd rather see a hunk of plywood in net than Bryzgalov.

If they just offer sheet him they will only have to give up a 2nd rounder for him, worth the risk i think....some may get mad at that though.

wicked user-icon man - nice fat spliff, very cool.

Yeah with the relationship the way it is I'm not sure Homer will be offer-sheeting any of Hexy's boys. Maybe. Maybe they can work it out and everyone's happy but I'm not sure how much talking back n forth is legal - before the deal is made I mean, or before they offer the deal.