Streit

brelic

What a terrible effort by Streit last night. By my count, he was responsible for at least two goals against, and a few other close calls.

But we got him for his offense, so at least there's that. Wait, what's that you say? He doesn't provide any?

This is a frankensquad.

@brelic

I don't know where you stand with your opinion of Berube, but the results he's getting from the team of mismatched parts are above my expectations . I think he's been a pretty good coach to this point, he adjusts in game, does a very good job of matching lines and d-pairings. I've been pleasantly surprised.

Edit: oh yeah, Striet has been ...not good. Looks like a bad signing 3 years too early. He may turn it around though.

Edited by mojo1917

What a terrible effort by Streit last night. By my count, he was responsible for at least two goals against, and a few other close calls.But we got him for his offense, so at least there's that. Wait, what's that you say? He doesn't provide any?This is a frankensquad.

A pretty -3 for his effort....thanks for coming. What a bum he is...

I don't know where you stand with your opinion of Berube, but the results he's getting from the team of mismatched parts are above my expectations . I think he's been a pretty good coach to this point, he adjusts in game, does a very good job of matching lines and d-pairings. I've been pleasantly surprised.

I'm not gonna judge Berube either way until the end of the season. Depending on how this season plays out, he may not even be here after this year.

But on the ice, the performance this year is not much different from the performance last year... this is a mediocre team.

It's not even funny how much Mason has masked this team's deficiencies. They would be 6-7 games under .500 without him.

• Like 3

I have tried like hell to defend this move but Streit has not been good lately.   Not good at all...

Speaking as another (maybe the only other?) Streit defender, I would have to agree. Last night was probably his worst game as a Flyer. On the flip side though, Meszaros is actually starting to look like his old self.

Is deportation a possibility on Streit? On Mezzo I thought last night he was back to his old self. After Downie and Simmonds, coasting was the MO. These guys need watch a few JVR tapes on shoo-outs!  Chief didn't play McGinn even though he was in the house,strange.

Seriously. He stinks.

We don't need McGinn anymore. We have Raffl! Now that the floodgates have been opened, watch out!

Mezzo did look good last night. Completely agreed. I would be surprised if it lasted though.

Speaking as another (maybe the only other?) Streit defender, I would have to agree. Last night was probably his worst game as a Flyer. On the flip side though, Meszaros is actually starting to look like his old self.

Jack... I think you and I are the only Streit defenders on this board and it is getting tough to defend :D   Last night was not a good game for him at all...  You do bring up a good point about Mesz b.c. I have been pretty impressed with his play.  

Make that three defenders.   For awhile he was kind of doing as expected:  providing some puck movement and a possible shot from the point while being suspect on the back end.

I couldn't understand why Timo was on the first unit on the PP while Streit was on the 2nd (I know, loyalty, blah blah blah). 

But recently he has seen top PP minutes and hasn't really improved there, but the "suspect" on the back end has become "disaster" on the back end.

Hopefully that is just a temporary thing, but I think we are all going to end up hating this contract before the end of the year, let alone by the end of the contract.

Jack... I think you and I are the only Streit defenders on this board and it is getting tough to defend

i could at least see the "why" behind the move, but his play really has just completely erased that.  

• Like 1

i could at least see the "why" behind the move, but his play really has just completely erased that.  

10000% agree with this statement.  To me, he has done little/none of what he was signed to do, and has brought little/nothing of what he was supposed to have done for the NYI.  Then you compound it with terrible defensive play(never his strong suit anyway) and it amounts to a brutal signing 3 months in. 

Hopefully, he can find his sea legs and figure things out.

10000% agree with this statement.  To me, he has done little/none of what he was signed to do, and has brought little/nothing of what he was supposed to have done for the NYI.  Then you compound it with terrible defensive play(never his strong suit anyway) and it amounts to a brutal signing 3 months in. 

Hopefully, he can find his sea legs and figure things out.

To be fair to him, his passing is still there.  He is still capable of moving the puck out of the zone either through a quick pass or carrying it.  Just about everything else in his game has been plain abysmal.  I liked the move and like some posters, I could at least see the reason why they did it.  But for what he's been bringing to the table this year, the Flyers could have used Oliver Lauridsen and pay him peanuts, while seing if he can develop.  The outcome would probably end up being the same, if not more favorable.

I don't understand the Raffl hate. The guy belongs on the 4th line instead of Rosehill against 28 other NHL teams. He does a decent job killing penalties and was not brought in for his offense. Streit on the other hand needs to have a curse removed or something....maybe soak his pants in lighter fluid and he will get the message.....

I don't understand hockey  the Raffl hate. The guy belongs on the 4th line instead of Rosehill against 28 other NHL teams. He does a decent job killing penalties and was not brought in for his offense. Streit on the other hand needs to have a curse removed or something....maybe soak his pants in lighter fluid and he will get the message.....

Fixed it.

flyerrod, on 10 Dec 2013 - 6:39 PM, said:

I don't understand hockey the Raffl hate. The guy belongs on the 4th line instead of Rosehill against 28 other NHL teams. He does a decent job killing penalties and was not brought in for his offense. Streit on the other hand needs to have a curse removed or something....maybe soak his pants in lighter fluid and he will get the message.....

Fixed it.

IFIYGD....... ^_^

To be fair to him, his passing is still there.  He is still capable of moving the puck out of the zone either through a quick pass or carrying it.  Just about everything else in his game has been plain abysmal.  I liked the move and like some posters, I could at least see the reason why they did it.  But for what he's been bringing to the table this year, the Flyers could have used Oliver Lauridsen and pay him peanuts, while seing if he can develop.  The outcome would probably end up being the same, if not more favorable.

That was me as well; I understood why they signed him and I didn't dislike the move. I hated the contract the day it was signed and still do. It's too long, and has the ever present NMC/NTC. You are correct about his skating/outlet passing but he doesn't do either enough in my opinion. He should be doing "good" things and winning most of his shifts. Instead he loses a lot of his shifts and almost always seems to make the wrong/bad play.

I don't hate the guy. I'm more disappointed at how, well, disappointing his play has been.

I hope he can become the player the Flyers were expecting. Lord knows they could use that player!

What baffles me is how could he play so well for the isles and then struggle so badly for your flyers?  The man was a talent on the island, beating a lot of good defensemen's numbers while playing with very little talent around him.  His numbers have been superior to Timonen's every season you've had him.  It only made sense that when he got in black and orange his numbers would improve with a more talented squad around him.  He was a signing that as a rival I absolutely dreaded.  

So here is the question...  is he just going through the transition blues a lot of players suffer?  Is it something in the flyers system that mutes his production?  Initially I'd have said it was the stupidity of playing Timonen before him on the PP...  but now he's getting the PP time.  How does a guy on pace for a 46 point season with the islanders move to a supposedly more talented team and end up on pace for 27?  

That's a question I'd imagine Holmgren is struggling with as well.  This was the ONE signing I gave him credit for, even if I did think the term was too long.  

You are correct about his skating/outlet passing but he doesn't do either enough in my opinion.

i'll tell you, though, i think those are where his biggest problems are right now.  it isn't that he isn't doing enough, it's that he's making a mess out there.  he passes confidently and decisively, i'll give you...and those are qualities that the defense lacks generally.  when confident and decisive passing are coupled with an utter lack of accuracy, though, i'd just as soon have some tentativeness back there.

My gut says Streit is hurt by the overall offensive inertia on this team. He may have some mobility. But there is nobody to share it with. He starts out of the zone and there is no other real movement. In a sense, Berube's style really minimizes Streit's value. It is sad to watch. He is paid a lot and doesn't even QB the PP well.

Best,

Howie

In a cap world even his poor performance is worth 3 million or so per year. His offensive pluses don't necessarily show up on the score sheet as he's still a half decent first pass guy. He has made the odd nice defensive play here and there, but overall he's far too unreliable for a smart coach with options to even think of having on the ice toward the end of close games.

I'd take him for half to two thirds of what he's making and be happy with him. As it is, the flyers need to be in the defenseman market next off season something fierce. And not the over the hill magic beans defensemen market. The one with

Real defensemen who can still contribute.

I have tried like hell to defend this move but Streit has not been good lately. Not good at all...

• Like 1