Why Peter Lukko really quit.

iban3z

Dear Flyers fans,

I'm writing this as a topic because I went the fans to hear the truth. Some of you know me as a blogger and I'm going to tell you something that is an absolute true story and I am in no way fabricating this. I'm not someone to try to gain any notoriety or want people to pay attention to me for the wrong reasons. You can can do two things, either read the story and believe that what I'm telling you is the truth or simply ignore it and move on. I can not under any circumstances reveal who told me this, however I can tell you that the information came from someone within the Kings organization who currently used to be a coach of the Flyers. IF you decide to attempt to figure it out, I can't be held responsible.

Ok in the beginning of the season after firing Lavy and continuing to play horrible, Lukko went to Snider and brought up the notion of firing Homer. He explained his reasoning, that they needed a change and that he brought Hextall to get his feet wet and to transition him into the GM position if the worst case scenario happened. Snider told Lukko no, because Paul was important to the organization, they are friends and if Paul wants to leave, it's going to be on his own terms. Lukko then went to Comcast-Spectacor and asked them to release a statement saying that he does not support Paul staying with the organization and they refused to release it at the request of Snider. Snider informed Lukko that he can either except that they're not going to fire Paul and move on, or simply quit. As you can see, Lukko left "unexpectedly." as the President of Comcast-Spectacor to "pursue other interests." As his age? After his long tenure? Come on, to me that didn't even make sense. 

The reason I'm telling you this was because of the statement I couldn't ignore. "If Paul wants to leave, it's going to be on his own terms." 

Snider is delusional and it's obvious he ALWAYS will keep former Flyers around the organization forever. So be prepared if Snider extends Homer's contract. 

Like I said, if you chose to believe me that's fine and if you chose not to, that's fine as well. I don't have anymore information, I've written everything I know. I'm not going to argue with anyone or go out of my way to prove you wrong if you doubt my story. The purpose of this was to inform the fan base, nothing more nothing less. 

-iban3z

@iban3z  Sounds very plausible from where I sit. Homer has done nothing to deserve a extension, much less keep his current title. I want him gone yesterday...there are so many bright young hockey minds out there, with vast knowledge of the league and prospects. We are stuck with this terd of a GM....simply disgusting!!

Who among us thinks Snider isn't ridiculously stubborn?

The reason I have issues with this particular story is that snider had no issues dismissing Clarke... Or Homer back when they tried Homer as a coach.

Also, rumor has had it for some time that Homer doesn't really want to be with the flyers organization and had threatened to leave for the Wild now and again.

Lukko leaving because Snider wouldn't fire Homer seems doable, but it may have had more to do with him not agreeing with firing Lavvy or installing berube.

Technically Lukko probably should have had the OK on that and if Homer did it without peter's blessing then snider backed up Homer, I could see that bein the version of this that makes a bit more sense.

Very interesting titbit. If this is true then Snider is more stuburn than we think.

I guess the underlying question is: is Snider "loyal" to a fault, or does Snider control Homer and use him as a fall guy?

It kind of sucks to hear this story, though it's totally believable.

That said, the timing was wrong.  I'd rather do that sort of move immediately after the season to minimize distractions.

• Like 1

Homer has done nothing to deserve a extension, much less keep his current title

No matter what he will be given the rest of the season and depending on the outcome could still be out but Snider won't do it during the season no way so let's just .....ride out the wave...

you knew it before it happened hell most of do here...

Believable? Yes...

Speculation? Definitely...

I find it hard to believe the real story would come out on this board. I think Lukko honestly left bc he wants to spend time with family.

Could be... Might not... and honestly don't think Lukko ever had much to do with the clubs decisions. He was a business guy and nothing more...

Snider runs the show and Homer is his man...

Edited by murraycraven

Believable? Yes...

Speculation? Definitely...

I find it hard to believe the real story would come out on this board. I think Lukko honestly left bc he wants to spend time with family.

Could be... Might not... and honestly don't think Lukko ever had much to do with the clubs decisions. He was a business guy and nothing more...

Snider runs the show and Homer is his man...

Lukko's son was drafted...by the Flyers...

I have a thought that can't possibly be proven one way or another... But I'll spout it anyway. In another thread we discussed whether the caps were more about marketing and profit, or actually winning the Cup. With so much drama in and around your organization and its fan base, is there a chance the moves that get made, top name signings, patchwork free agency... Are done to stay competitive and make money? Rather than actual pursuit if the Cup? Not wanting a bad year or two to cause a loss of profits?

I have a thought that can't possibly be proven one way or another... But I'll spout it anyway. In another thread we discussed whether the caps were more about marketing and profit, or actually winning the Cup. With so much drama in and around your organization and its fan base, is there a chance the moves that get made, top name signings, patchwork free agency... Are done to stay competitive and make money? Rather than actual pursuit if the Cup? Not wanting a bad year or two to cause a loss of profits?

That sounds a lot like Jerry Jones. I have often compared the Flyers to the Cowboys in terms of current management. I don't think this fan base will tolerate 3-4 yrs of sucking in order to get better. Very plausible and yes it has been discussed previously. Feel free to reopen the topic for discussion.

I think Snider wants to win another Cup as much or more than profit.   As much as Snider loves to make money he also likes his ego stroked and wants to keep a sterling legacy in Philadelphia.   Winning the Cup again would do both for him.    I honestly think Snider's mentality is field the best on paper lineup that his money can buy and hope that the more often you are in the playoffs, the more chances you have to break through and go all the way.   I don't agree with this philosophy but that has been the Flyer way. 

Lukko's son was drafted...by the Flyers...

and that means what exactly?

so he was drafted by the Flyers.  You work for an organization that happens to be a NHL Team, your son is a D1 quality hockey player and they drafted him.  I dont see how this show Lukko was calling the shots. 

Edited by murraycraven

and that means what exactly?

so he was drafted by the Flyers.  You work for an organization that happens to be a NHL Team, your son is a D1 quality hockey player and they drafted him.  I dont see how this show Lukko was calling the shots. 

I think it speaks to the "loyalty" component of this discussion.

would the Lukko kid have been drafted by any other NHL franchise ?  or was this a "courtesy' afforded by Mr Snider. Who is many things, but I have never questioned his loyalty to "his guys".

I don't know much about the Lukko kid other than he's a solid but not spectacular D1 player, Lots of those guys go on to nice careers in marketing/management.

Snider's loyalty is his weakness. He has lost objectivity over the years because he refuses to remove his Orange colored glasses. If he could, I think Snider would offer a front office job to everyone who has ever worn that sweater. Calling Mike York and Kyle Calder....

Maybe the bottom line in all of this is that Lukko just wanted a "fresh prespective" :ph34r:

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 2

The reason I have issues with this particular story is that snider had no issues dismissing Clarke

Do you mean as GM?  If so, Clarke resigned, he wasn't fired.  They fired Hitchcock.

Regardless, this story could have legs.  There is no doubt Hextall was brought in as some type of insurance/back up plan.  Lukko resigning when he did/like he did, struck many of us as very odd.

Thanks to @iban3z for sharing...

would the Lukko kid have been drafted by any other NHL franchise ?  or was this a "courtesy' afforded by Mr Snider. Who is many things, but I have never questioned his loyalty to "his guys".

Maybe or maybe not, but he was drafted in the 6th round. That's pretty meaningless.

• Like 1

Maybe or maybe not, but he was drafted in the 6th round. That's pretty meaningless.

that is my point Jack.  picking him in the 6th round is not a big deal to me.  In those rounds you are taking flyers (no pun intended) on any of those picks.  He is a decent sized defenseman with a right hand shot playing at a good D1 program.  I dont think he will ever make the big roster but he is a good player.  I think Lukko may have had a hand in the financial aspects of signing players but I dont think he was the one calling the shots on trades and free agent acquisitions.   He is not a hockey guy - he is a businessman who loves the game.  

I am not saying this story is not true but I hear the same type of stories every time my kid plays at the SZ in Vorhees.  It is fun to speculate but that all it is...  I am guessing Steven's is the one who "leaked" the story?

Edited by murraycraven

that is my point Jack.  picking him in the 6th round is not a big deal to me.  In those rounds you are taking flyers (no pun intended) on any of those picks.  He is a decent sized defenseman with a right hand shot playing at a good D1 program.  I dont think he will ever make the big roster but he is a good player.  I think Lukko may have had a hand in the financial aspects of signing players but I dont think he was the one calling the shots on trades and free agent acquisitions.   He is not a hockey guy - he is a businessman who loves the game.  

I am not saying this story is not true but I hear the same type of stories every time my kid plays at the SZ in Vorhees.  It is fun to speculate but that all it is...  I am guessing Steven's is the one who "leaked" the story?

Stevens and/or Murray...

Really the only two options, eh?

That sounds a lot like Jerry Jones. I have often compared the Flyers to the Cowboys in terms of current management. I don't think this fan base will tolerate 3-4 yrs of sucking in order to get better. Very plausible and yes it has been discussed previously. Feel free to reopen the topic for discussion.

Just was going to say or Snyder in DC

This is absolutely what it's about. No doubt in my mind