Embellishment Rule to be "Brought Back"

AJgoal

Forgive me if this was posted before, the article is a month old:

To ‘attack’ embellishment, NHL wants to ‘bring alive’ old rule

Jason Brough

Jun 11, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT

NEW YORK — The NHL would like to “bring alive again” a rule that’s already in the rulebook, with some slight alterations, in an attempt to reduce the amount of embellishing in the game.

The league’s director of hockey operations, Colin Campbell, shared the plan today in a New York hotel after the general managers had finished meeting prior to Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final.

“We have a process in place that we approached the GMs with, and we also asked the players’ association to consider,” said Campbell.

“There’s a rule in the rulebook already that we haven’t used for the last few years that we’d like to bring alive again, for lack of a better term, but without the game suspension and just a series of fines, a warning the first time, and a series of fines after that if the same player embellishes. It would be by video review from our office.

“There’s also an element that we would probably add a fine to the coach/organization after so many embellishments to a team. And it’s something the players’ association are going back and asking their people, and something we have to run by the board. But it got a lot of traction, a lot of support from the managers that embellishment is going too far in our league and we have to attack it again.”

Campbell added: “It’s not about taking a player out of the game. It’s about making everyone aware that this player does embellish. And more than that, it’s about the players that don’t embellish that ask the question, ‘Should I start embellishing now because I’m on an uneven playing field here.’”

Let's hope it's not just talk. Glad to see that they're going to do video review, and not just rely on the call needing to be made on the ice. I still think suspensions should be on the table, though.

I am all for it.

The flopping, falling, and injury feigning in other leagues is downright embarrassing, and I dont' want that nonsense to find a permanent home in the NHL.

So put away your flippers, oxygen tanks, body suits, wet caps, and harpoons boys.....if things go well, diving will be outlawed and punishment will be swift!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

I think they SHOULD suspend players with multiple infractions.  

Player A gets nailed 3, 4, 5 times for embellishing.  It's a total of, say 25K, in fines.  2 of those embellishments lead to PP goals which cause his team to win a game.  That's a bargain, in my book. 

Now, he gets suspended after the X time he gets penalized, that's negatively affecting the entire team.  A MUCH bigger deterrent, IMO.  

• Like 1

The only problem with enforcing this 'embellishment' thing, especially in regards to falling, is that poor Scott Hartnell will be penalized RELENTLESSLY because the officials will keep thinking he falls down on purpose!

And he will go bankrupt with fines from the league too!

No one will care that THAT IS HOW HE PLAYS!  :lol:

He just....falls.....can't help it....he is trying NOT to...but, well, he and gravity, simply don't get along....

Outstanding, this is LOOOOOONG overdue, video replay ala hitting infractions is the only way to enforce. And agree with DGG, start suspending guys for this garbage, it makes the game look like a joke

makes it look like world cup soccer

The only problem with enforcing this 'embellishment' thing, especially in regards to falling, is that poor Scott Hartnell will be penalized RELENTLESSLY because the officials will keep thinking he falls down on purpose!

And he will go bankrupt with fines from the league too!

No one will care that THAT IS HOW HE PLAYS!  :lol:

He just....falls.....can't help it....he is trying NOT to...but, well, he and gravity, simply don't get along....

You didn't know? It wasn't an apple that fell onto Sir Isaac Newton's head. It was Hartnell.

Speaking of Phantoms... Philly will have a LOT of chances to test out some of that youth if they enforce the suspensions. ;)

You have two of the most notorious divers in the league with Malkin and Kris "head flail" Letang......do you really want to go there? Please note, I did not mention he does no wrong........ :thumbsu:

It might help to not call the phantom penalty along with the embellishment. Why does this have to be rocket science? How bout only call the embellishment penalty when it happens.

I agree with the idea Grump, but it really is tough to tell at the time what's a phantom head snap and what's not, especially where stick contact misses by an inch. That's why I think the idea of video review at the league office is the only way to stop this. And make it a suspension for the first offense, none of this warnings and fines crap.

I agree with the idea Grump, but it really is tough to tell at the time what's a phantom head snap and what's not, especially where stick contact misses by an inch. That's why I think the idea of video review at the league office is the only way to stop this. And make it a suspension for the first offense, none of this warnings and fines crap.

I wish they would allow the refs to look up at the big screen and make a quick call on the matter if approached.

If the coach has issue with a call a ref made based on watching the big screen from only 1 angle, he can demand it goes up for review in Toronto, but if he is wrong, he also gets a delay of game penalty :)

That would make coaches grill their players on if they dived or not.

• Like 1

Isn't the maximum fine they can give a player $5,000? Does anybody really think that's going to stop players from diving? They need to hit players where it really counts, and that's being able to play. Fine them the first time as a warning and then start handing down game misconducts and suspensions. Enough with the slap on the wrist BS.

• Like 2

Yes, please... let's make hockey the furthest thing from soccer that is humanly possible. Real men don't roll around and fake to win....that is for *******. Multiple offenses would basically be tantamount to a public shaming.....LMAO!!  This is GREAT!!!

• Like 1