Flyers Not Making the Playoffs?

OH1FlyersFan

From Capitals Central.  I read this.  Felt like I wasted my time.  Not much new here.  But I did find the second to the last paragraph - will they make the playoffs - of some interest.

Their prediction was - "No."

I think this is a team still developing, they definitely have some way to go, young prospects coming up that won't be able to make a solid contribution for a year or two or three, some pick-ups in the off season that may or may not pan out - questions about Del Zotto and Umberger. But, having said all that, I think that the Flyers DO make the playoffs.  It'snot necessarily a negative, in my opinion, that Timonen is out.  Our goaltending is stronger than it was, and the core of our young, but now experienced (or more experienced) offense is intact.  We're weathering the Pronger absence relatively well.  We've overcome worse in previous seasons and still made the playoffs.  This team is resilient.

Everybody's all about the Bluejackets.  Well, we'll see.  

We may squeak in, it may not be pretty, but we'll get in.

http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey-washington-capitals/talk/2014-15-nhl-team-previews-philadelphia-flyers?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Their prediction was - "No."

Just like the draft those guys don't know......it's why the have the draft and why they play the games, i respect their opinion but noone knows just like Eklund it's all about the clicks and let's face it....negativity sells. 

Considering they have had just one top 10 draft pick in the past 12 years [James van Riemsdyk, 2nd overall in 2007] the Flyers have remained competitive in the East, reaching the playoffs in six of the past seven seasons and in 17 of the past 19.

Apparently Sean Couturier doesn't count ;)

Apparently Sean Couturier doesn't count ;)

I thought Brayden and Luke were top 10.

In fact VLC was 1st overall, Coburn was 8th overall. Jake was 7th overall even Hartnell was 6th overall even though he isn't on the team. Aaaaaah who knows...............

In fact VLC was 1st overall, Coburn was 8th overall. Jake was 7th overall even Hartnell was 6th overall even though he isn't on the team. Aaaaaah who knows...............

But those guys weren't drafted by the Flyers... Coots and JVR were.

If they stay relatively healthy and Mason stays true to form I think they get in.  If you get in then anything can happen.   I am hoping MDZ can regain his form and become an impact player for the Flyers.   It will be interesting to see how the lines play out in camp but I think they are on the edge of the playoff bubble but will make it...

If you look at our defense, even if Del Zotto steps up and plays well, his game is puck moving and PP skills ,so he can help in that aspect and make up for some of Timmos offense. The real problem is going to be goals against, we do not have anyone back there that we can call a true shut down defender, or a defensive stalwart. We have a collection of 4-6 defensemen, with Coburn being a #3 type guy, no 1 or 2 to speak of.

The real keys will be if Coburn, McD, and L Schenn can all step up and Improve by a good amount, L Schenn actually played his best hockey against the Rangers, so let's hope he can keep that up. Coburn may fold under the added minutes he will get, since he is now our go to dman. McD also must improve big time... If our defense is not playing well for a long stretch, I wouldn't be surprised to see us deal B Schenn or Laughton for a young up and coming dman, who is NHl ready now or a young guy who's played a few seasons .

Everyone keeps talking about our young guys on the way, you cannot break in 3 rookies in one season, and none are ready this year and they need to be paired with defensively sound partners who can help cover their mistakes and break them in slow, you pair a rookie with a mistake prone turn over machine and the kid will be ruined. So, I still see a trade for a defenseman happening unless by some miracle,Coburn, McD and L. Schenn Improve by a big margin. The possibilities of that are remote. With the current defense and their previous skill sets , I don't see us making the playoffs.

I have limited expectations for this year. RJ might be right that we need to trade a youngin for blue line help but I would just as soon take a bad year and build for a deep playoff run instead of a tease! Not that I would mind Dita van Tease.....too long a day, two glasses of red stuff!

Giving up a Laughton or B Schenn for an equally promising "young" defenseman is not a bad thing, it's giving up one of them for a 30 year old stiff that is a bad thing. For this to happen ,one of our other dmen would have to go. Would anyone say it was a bad trade if we sent Laughton to Phx for Gormely.

@jammer2, I'm sure Laughton will be a good player, but as far as needs go, we could use a big minutes young defenseman much more than another center, who isn't going to play anyway. I'm sure we will try him on wing, like we did with Gratton, Brindy, Briere, Carter and Schenn, but none of them were able to be effective on wing. If our defense is horrible, and we have to make a deal, would you be upset if we landed a guy like Ristolanen from Buffalo? I'm not saying Buffalo is trading him,but I feel if we can get an equally impressive young dman for Laughton, it would be a big help.

@RonJeremy   I'm just fundamentally opposed to giving up Laughton right now.  I don't know how high his ceiling is, and we could be missing out on a real special player.

We should trade Laughton for a run of the mill defenseman and then sign an Oilers defenseman because he plays well with that guy.

#homercoaster

:ph34r:

@RonJeremy  Risto is a talented player. I'd still back off from dealing Laughton. I'm convinced he is the real deal. It's pretty rare to find a wicked defensive center who can score....you can count all of them on 2 hands. I think he turns into something close to Bergeron on the Bruins when it's all said and done.

Of those, the flyers only picked cooter and JVR and Cooter they only picked because Columbus have us the pick.

The point is all those top ten picks were other teams rejects. They picked them, didn't want them. We're making lemonade out of them.

Doesn't matter. I see no reason why the Flyers wouldn't make the playoffs. If anything the loss of Kimmo could cause some bumps in the road, but I have a sneaking suspicion it'll go more easily than most of us fear.

Laughton stays until he proved he can't make it.

Trading him for anything less than a weber type stud d man in his prime would be silly.

Switch Brayden to top line wing, VLC to 2nd C.

See if you can't deal VLC by Christmas or the deadline (before he gets hurt again).

In the mean time, you tie homer up in a sack and the whole team takes turns Beating on him with their sticks... Scratch that, carbon fibre sticks are too expensive to waste on homer, beat him with something other than fists that can bruise... And see what happens.

Does Laughton start the season in line 4? If he looks close to good enough out of camp I say so, otherwise he plays in the A and conditions for a longer season and is a late year fill in when necessary eyeing the big club full time sometime next year.

My $.02

@RonJeremy Risto is a talented player. I'd still back off from dealing Laughton. I'm convinced he is the real deal. It's pretty rare to find a wicked defensive center who can score....you can count all of them on 2 hands. I think he turns into something close to Bergeron on the Bruins when it's all said and done.

I think it's easy to forget how well they were playing at the end of last year.

The flyers screwed up by losing home ice to the rangers and I believe that made a significant difference because though they won a cople of games in that series, MSG got into their heads last year. Don't know why.

Otherwise, they took the best team to come out of the east to a close 7 games three of which were started by an aging backup who can't move laterally very well.

The big question mark is if they can step up without Kimmo. That's going to be tough, but I think it may end up being surmountable in the end because Timmo hasn't been as strong as we'd love to think over the past few years. I wish him well and nothing but good health and wish he were playing (as a 4 or 5) but he was being given top pairing minutes and wasn't playing like a top pairing any more. With only 20 mins a game he might have played stronger for the whole game, but now we just want him to be safe and healthy.

The flyers were skating with the best teams in the league by the end of the year. Chicago, Sam Jose, Anaheim, Los Angeles, Pittsburg... The only reason at all to think that won't happen again is the loss of Timmo.

I don't think any other team in the east has gotten so much better that we can just assume we won't be able to make the playoffs.

I just don't see it.

If they stay relatively healthy and Mason stays true to form I think they get in. If you get in then anything can happen. I am hoping MDZ can regain his form and become an impact player for the Flyers. It will be interesting to see how the lines play out in camp but I think they are on the edge of the playoff bubble but will make it...

I think it's easy to forget how well they were playing at the end of last year.

The flyers were skating with the best teams in the league by the end of the year. Chicago, Sam Jose, Anaheim, Los Angeles, Pittsburg... The only reason at all to think that won't happen again is the loss of Timmo.

I don't think any other team in the east has gotten so much better that we can just assume we won't be able to make the playoffs.

I just don't see it.

The Flyers were also busy going 4-5-3 in the last 12, with only one of the 4 wins coming against a team that made the playoffs, looking very much like a team that was going to be one and done,

While no teams significantly improved, the Flyers took a couple of steps back on paper. It's up to the younger guys to take a couple steps forward and overcome that. I still see it as a little bit worse than 50-50 that they make the playoffs. They'll have to do better than NYR, Columbus, and Washington, or else Detroit and Toronto to make the dance. Not insurmountable, but not a lock, either. The key to this year, as well as the next few, is going to be player development.

Kimmo I'll give you, but really? You think Hartnell will be that much of a loss?

I'm concerned about who will take the physical abuse, but Scotty was really struggling to find his place in the new way of things.

And you're right. It is up to the kids. Sink or skate time boys!

The Flyers were also busy going 4-5-3 in the last 12, with only one of the 4 wins coming against a team that made the playoffs, looking very much like a team that was going to be one and done,

While no teams significantly improved, the Flyers took a couple of steps back on paper. It's up to the younger guys to take a couple steps forward and overcome that. I still see it as a little bit worse than 50-50 that they make the playoffs. They'll have to do better than NYR, Columbus, and Washington, or else Detroit and Toronto to make the dance. Not insurmountable, but not a lock, either. The key to this year, as well as the next few, is going to be player development.

This year is going to be a huge year for guys like Simmonds, Voracek, Couturier and Schenn. There are a lot of ifs surrounding those four though. Simmonds is going to have to replace Hartnell's production and spot on the Power Play. I really think Simmonds has the upside to hit 40. Voracek should be a point per game player and he's going to need to be really consistent in his production this year. As for Couturier and Schenn, big time jumps in production are a must. If Schenn is going to skate on the left side with Giroux and Voracek, 35 goals shouldn't be out of the norm. As for Couturier, if it's a line of Umberger - Couturier - Read, then he should be able to at least get 20 to 25 goals and 30 to 35 assists. As Hextall said, the heat is on Couturier to start producing offensively. At the very least, there's no reason why he can't start putting up numbers that Michal Handzus put up earlier in his career with St.Louis and Philadelphia. I still think Couturier has the ability to put up 60 to 65 points and honestly, when I look at Couturier's game, I see it as very similar to Keith Primeau's game and how his production went through his first three years in the league. Primeau broke out in year four and I think the scenario and situation is there for Couturier to do the same.

The wild card in all of this is Lecavalier. If he comes to camp in the best shape of his career and if his back can hold up, he should be able to help contribute offensively. We all know that he's not very good defensively, but there's still some offense left in his hands. If he can rebound from a poor first season in Philadelphia, that's an added bonus.

Anybody concerned with the Flyers getting pushed around this year,again ? Things like Mac getting dumped on Mason(concussion)in the Pens game, completely changed the out come of the Rangers series. The Rangers smacked Claudie around the whole series,nobody did a thing. The lack of respect by the other teams has become a Flyer's hallmark! To me that should be an important issue that hasn't been addressed in a long time.

Anybody concerned with the Flyers getting pushed around this year,again ? Things like Mac getting dumped on Mason(concussion)in the Pens game, completely changed the out come of the Rangers series. The Rangers smacked Claudie around the whole series,nobody did a thing. The lack of respect by the other teams has become a Flyer's hallmark! To me that should be an important issue that hasn't been addressed in a long time.

It's a valid point. I could only imagine how bad this problem would be if Rinaldo was not re-signed. Maybe working out a deal for Evander Kane would provide some much needed push back....if he was on G's line, that would provide skill and protection. Although, as we know, it's not like Claude is a *****, but you don't want your franchise player fighting.

I'm just fundamentally opposed to giving up Laughton right now.  I don't know how high his ceiling is, and we could be missing out on a real special player.

I am against giving anything for anything. We grow from within. It sounds harsh, but its would I would do. Lets see how good mason is. 

Archived