3 Cups in 6 years = Dynasty?

trevluk

In my opinion the Hawks are going to beat the Bolts (4-1) for their 3rd Cup in 6 years. Is that a Dynasty?

I don't know... talk to you in 6 years when the Flyers have 3 more?

ha ha  oooooh the humor.

okay no, seriously...

I think the Lightning might give them a run for their money, but the Hawks and Toews seem to have it really in the zone now, so I don't know if there's much hope for the Bolts.  Still... I think they make it interesting and probably at least 6 games IMHO.  Maybe 7 as both teams have a knack for making things difficult for whoever they're playing after losses (i.e. GOOD COACHING)

As far as Dynasty?  i don't  know.  Were the Devils and Avs and Redwings teams of the 90's and early 00's Dynasties?  Is that what a Dynasty is now?  Not necessarily a block of sequential cups, but a bunch in a certain time frame?

The Islanders and Oilers of the 80's were Dynasties.  I don't think this makes the Hawks a dynasty.  I think it puts them and the Kings of now in the same league as those Wings, Devs and Lanche teams. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started young too. 12 or 13.

Quit for 3.5 years between the ages of 26-30 for the girl I was dating. She hated smokers. But not a day went by I did not crave one. for 3.5 years. I know now I will always want them

Somehow i was lucky.  my habit was 100% psychological.  Never got shakes or headaches or cravings.  In fact, whenever I quit, I just felt better and better.  Eventually I just decided it was time.  Wasn't hard at all.

Smokers hate me. I don't blame them.  Quitting sounds horrible for most people. 

Winning a cup 3 times in 6 years is very impressive. I guess if you put an asterisk beside the word dynasty then I'm in. As in In the salary cap era, this is considered a dynasty. 

The Habs won 5 cups in a row. The Isles won 19 straight playoff rounds. Those are dynasties. The Hawks won a cup, then lost in the first round back to back seasons. That is NOT a dynasty.

I disagree.

The Habs won 5 cups in a row when there were only 6 teams in the league, no salary cap, and built their team before the establishment of the draft (the draft started in 1956, the first year of their 5 year run).

The Isles won 19 straight playoff rounds when there were only 16 teams in the league and no salary cap.

The Blackhawks have been a powerhouse team for the last 7 seasons while having to deal with the Salary cap and 30 teams in the league.  Not taking anything away from them, but I doubt the Habs or Isles would have been able to accomplish their feats under the same circumstances as the Hawks have done.

@jammer2

@AlaskaFlyerFan

I agree with what both you guys are saying. That's why I agreed on the dynasty with an asterisk. They aren't level playing fields, and they never will be. The Habs won 5 cups in a row when there were only six teams....didn't those five other teams have the same "only have to beat five teams" advantage? None of them ever won 5 in a row, ever. Same with the Isles and their 19 series in a row. The other teams had the same rules apply. 

I think the Hawks have been the cream of the crop for years now. The cap made them lose some players from their first run, and it will make them lose them again. Then again, if there wasn't a cap, Toews would be getting $20 million a year from the Leafs and Kane would be getting $20 million a year from the Rangers. Keith would be the highest paid defenceman the Flyers have ever had (well, tied with his defensive partners Drew Doughty,Shea Weber and Alex Pietrangelo). And the Hawks wouldn't need no stinking asterisk.

the more smokers have become society's next pariah, the more it makes me not want to quit.

I felt that way when I was like 17 or 18.  By 25 I decided I just didn't want to die any sooner than I had to and I kinda wanted the time between now and whenever that happened to be as healthy and good feeling as possible. 

A committed and regular exercise regime will kick the habit pretty quick.

@King Knut

I just stopped drinking beer for 3 months....switched to vodka. Once I felt the urge gone, I went back to my beer. 16 years now. I've forgotten what the urge was. Best thing I ever did was quit those things...and ya, I enjoyed it.

A committed and regular exercise regime will kick the habit pretty quick.

That's the scary part, I'm in good shape and hit the gym 3 or 4 times a week for 15 years. I'm the guy finishing a cigarette walking up to the gym door

That's the scary part, I'm in good shape and hit the gym 3 or 4 times a week for 15 years. I'm the guy finishing a cigarette walking up to the gym door

I used to take half a pack on long bike rides and that first butt after a long run was the greatest.

Of course now I run twice as far twice as fast.

Good luck to you if you try again!

@King Knut  Yeah, you can get ripped and a nice tobacco buzz when smoked right after some physical activity. I hear good things about this new "vapour" craze....but kinda worried there is no long term studies to find out how bad it really is for you.....but it's just gotta be better than the 200 different chemicals sprayed on them....as well as the icky tar content. The 200 or so chemicals, that is a real thing, it's part of the reason (the other being financial....a mere 20 bucks for a carton of those!)  I choose to smoke the Indian cigareetes, that are so readily available in Ontario. Can't see the First Nation tribes going out an buying chemicals to spray on the tobacco.....so it's very close to as natural as possible. I literally pay more for my morning coffee than I do to smoke in a day, it's works out to less than 10 cents a smoke.

A Cup every two seasons? Yeah, that's a dynasty.

Down 2-1 now and Hawk fans crying over playing a bottom pairing of ECHL defensemen. They will be crying much more next season when they have 3 of 6 Defensemen ECHL level because of Toews and Kane's greed and lack of depth on their forward lines.

I won't lie. I am looking forward to watching the fans turn on them because of the greed knowing it will be that much harder to convince RFA's to take hometown discounts and as they age and get worse.

Mike Richards was a hero in LA for awhile too haha

Down 2-1 now and Hawk fans crying over playing a bottom pairing of ECHL defensemen. They will be crying much more next season when they have 3 of 6 Defensemen ECHL level because of Toews and Kane's greed and lack of depth on their forward lines.

I won't lie. I am looking forward to watching the fans turn on them because of the greed knowing it will be that much harder to convince RFA's to take hometown discounts and as they age and get worse.

Mike Richards was a hero in LA for awhile too haha

3 Cups in 6 years followed by a few years where they are good - just not quite as good - due to the cap issues?  Where do I sign?

They might not be the juggernaut now with their cap situation moving forward but with Toews, Kane and Keith they will always be a playoff team.   And once you get in, anything can happen. That rationale might not work for another franchise but after 3 in 6, they've earned it.

Well, its the closest thing to a Dynasty you can get in this decade of hockey...

In the cap era? Absolutely.  You could argue that 3 in 6 in this day in age is harder  that 4 in a row in the early 1980's.  Not ready to say that about 5 in 7 in the mid 1980's though...especially when #5 was sans Gretzky.

Absolutely no doubt in the world a dynasty by todays standards.

I know they are gonna be up against the cap, Seabrook or Crawford or Sharp or a combination of Oduya and Hossa are going to have to be moved. No ifs and or buts, but I see them still contending.

Bowman does an amazing job of buying low and squeezing out the last few ounces out of a player, Richards for next to nothing, yeah, no longer a star but did you see the setup of Kane for the Clincher? Vermette as a rental 2 GWG in the finals and moving on, Kimmo on the back end. Bowman has proven that the apple has not fallen far from the tree. To me seeing Stan and his Dad Scotty holding the cup up together was the most moving moment of last night for me.

I see them moving out a valuable piece for draft picks or simply for cap relief, but still contending. Teravainen is a natural goal scorer and will be a full time player next year, Darling will push Crawford, Pokka and Svedberg, one of them will make the Hawks as weill Van Riemsdyk to bolster the back end. Saad, who every team in the league would love to have is not going anywhere. Somewhere towards late July when free agency has cooled off Bowman will quietly invite a free agent or two in who have slipped through the cracks and offer them a low budget contract, short term and a chance to resurrect their career on the best team in hockey. And somehow, budget restraints and all, he will add a small piece at the deadline. And they will contend again. With the best captain in the game, with the best defenseman in the world, and one of the biggest money players around in Kane, the supporting cast may change but they will still be right there.

Players with multiple cups in Chicago include the big three, plus, Hossa, Bickell, Sharp, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson roughly half the team has been together for the entire run, Crawford, Versteeg, Shaw, Oduya,  Saad, Rozsival and Kruger for the other two. In short, realistically four or five pieces get shuffled every year or two nearly always for the better.

So props to the best organization in all of Hockey and their certain Hall of Fame coach who I forgot to mention as well. They are hockey's latest dynasty. And if anyone thinks for one minute that they are done, they need to take a closer look.

The definition of dynasty has changed tremendously. Free agency and the salary cap have virtually killed any chance of winning 4 or 5 Cups in a row in present day hockey .  Players don't care nearly as much about staying on one team and being a part of building familiarity, "family" in a way.  There is usually no loyalty to one team. The days of the 70's Habs, 80s Islanders and Oilers are over. The game has changed since the NHL lockout . So, I would definitely consider the Blackhawks to be a dynasty just because even when they haven't won it, they have still been a legit threat to do so. I would even consider what the Devils or Red Wings did in the 90s to be a dynasty. If the Kings win it next season, even in spite of missing the playoffs this year, they could very well also be considered one. 

Absolutely a dynasty. Difficult enough to do once, 3 times in 6 years is a helluva achievement

I knew guys in the Army who ran their two mile faster after a cigarette.

3 Cups in 6 years followed by a few years where they are good - just not quite as good - due to the cap issues?  Where do I sign?

They might not be the juggernaut now with their cap situation moving forward but with Toews, Kane and Keith they will always be a playoff team.   And once you get in, anything can happen. That rationale might not work for another franchise but after 3 in 6, they've earned it.

Oh I am not saying I wouldn't trade 3 cups for it. Just saying the glory days are done due to them wanting the big payday. You can quote me on that if I am wrong, but the Hawks have never EVER been in a situation as screwed as they are now capwise. Even in 2010, which was very hard on them, they were able to fix the problems in a way they cannot now.

They basically blackmailed them by saying both max contracts on the same day, or we both go UFA. I suspect Saad now that he has 2 rings, will not care to give a hometeam discount either. 8 Forwards, 3 defensemen and already at 64 million of a 69 million dollar cap. Several guys untradeable.

Their prospect pool is nearly empty and they need to add 5 rookies, and tweeners

I know they are gonna be up against the cap, Seabrook or Crawford or Sharp or a combination of Oduya and Hossa are going to have to be moved. No ifs and or buts, but I see them still contending.

Don't forget Saad. Maybe. Hopefully.   :D

Oh I am not saying I wouldn't trade 3 cups for it. Just saying the glory days are done due to them wanting the big payday. You can quote me on that if I am wrong, but the Hawks have never EVER been in a situation as screwed as they are now capwise. Even in 2010, which was very hard on them, they were able to fix the problems in a way they cannot now.

No - you're right.  Even if you don't buy into the "two-headed monster" model, their "monsters" were making less than $7,000,000 per year up to this season.  It would have been nice to see a them give the Hawks even a "little" break but I can't argue with the results.

Any team that goes into next season with Toews/Kane/Seabrooke/Hossa/Saad/Crawford can't be taken lightly. As proven, that's a hell of a nucleus.

A nucleus that will be surrounded by rookies who have never played a day in the NHL and minimum contracts from free agency.

Last time they had promising young rookies to replace those they lost and they still had 2 straight years of 1st round exits. This time, they have already sold the future for last night and will be playing with C-D level prospects instead of Saad's. 3 of them on defense(Keith and Seabrook can't play 30 minutes every single night). Hossa is 37, Seabrook 32(And due for a raise).

It is a different ballgame. Unless Richards resigns for 2 million again, they still lack a 2nd line center. Something that usually costs 4+ million.

I'm not sure about the dynasty thing.  They really need to come up with a new word for today's circumstances that describe "damn good team for several years."

Dynasty has almost always (if not always) meant passing down the mantle from one generation to the next--uninterrupted.  Three in six is fantastic.   When you add in at least one other (could be two, I don't remember) conference finals, that's a perennially dominant team.

But dynasty?  No.

It was mentioned that the three in six may be harder than the four in a row in the early 80s.  I'm pretty sure I agree with that.  I think the reasoning in this makes sense.

But by the actual definition of the word, it's no more a dynasty than a bicycle.  

But somehow we do need to coin a word that does elevate Chicago above the one-and-done teams or even the Kings.  Three in six is pretty special.  But it's not a dynasty.

And, by the way, I'm NOT trying to inject politics here, but people are referring to Clintons/Bushes as dynasties.   Maybe the meaning of the word is changing to "eh, they were here recently."  Otherwise, they are not dynasties either.  But if somehow the word has changed to include those families, then yeah, the Black Hawks are a dynasty.

Unless you're actually using a dictionary. 

Archived