Will we be signing Del Z. If it doesnt seem so, is he trade bait at draft

RonJeremy

I like Del Zotto and he was one of our better guys last year, and I hope he is resigned.  So far talks are going slow in signing him, word is he wants more years than the Flyers want to give. If it doesnt look good to sign him to a reasonable and fair contract, I would see what we could get at the draft for him. To me there is no point in signing him for 1 year and then lose him as an UFA next offseason.

San Jose is going into a rebuild, they are an old team and they have the 9th pick. They have made it clear their pick is up for grabs. A team going into a rebuild, that needs alot of assets instead of one 18 year old player, might give up their pick to have a few solid players to help in their rebuilding. So what would it take to get San Jose pick?

We have potentially B Schenn, L Schenn, Del Zotto, Cousins and Laugton as trade bait. Of course we have McD, Vinny and Grossman, but no one wants them and we wont get much if we do dump any of them. So as far as value goes I would say B Schenn, Del Z and Laugton are the best players we could offer in any trade and would get us the most back . Keep in mind im not advocating trading anyone unless its worth it .

So lets say we got lucky and picked Provorov with the 7th pick, and say Rantenen, Crouse or Zacha were still around for the 9th pick, would B Schenn and Del Z be reasonable for SJ's pick or are we overpaying? 

I like Del Zotto and he was one of our better guys last year, and I hope he is resigned.  So far talks are going slow in signing him, word is he wants more years than the Flyers want to give. If it doesnt look good to sign him to a reasonable and fair contract, I would see what we could get at the draft for him. To me there is no point in signing him for 1 year and then lose him as an UFA next offseason.

San Jose is going into a rebuild, they are an old team and they have the 9th pick. They have made it clear their pick is up for grabs. A team going into a rebuild, that needs alot of assets instead of one 18 year old player, might give up their pick to have a few solid players to help in their rebuilding. So what would it take to get San Jose pick?

We have potentially B Schenn, L Schenn, Del Zotto, Cousins and Laugton as trade bait. Of course we have McD, Vinny and Grossman, but no one wants them and we wont get much if we do dump any of them. So as far as value goes I would say B Schenn, Del Z and Laugton are the best players we could offer in any trade and would get us the most back . Keep in mind im not advocating trading anyone unless its worth it .

So lets say we got lucky and picked Provorov with the 7th pick, and say Rantenen, Crouse or Zacha were still around for the 9th pick, would B Schenn and Del Z be reasonable for SJ's pick or are we overpaying? 

Bud, WIlson said the rebuild is done and we are going to retool going forward, but he is going for it again.

And we have 19 million in cap space to play with lol.

They are not an old team at all.

Players with age(How old they will be halfway through 2015-16 season beside their names

Karlsson 25, Thornton 36, Pavelski 30

Marleau 36, Couture 26, Nieto 23

Hertl 22, Tierney 21, Winglels 27

Goodrow 22, Smith 27, Donskoi 23

Vlasic 28, Burns 30

Dillon 25, Braun 27

Mueller 20, Tennyson 25

Stalock 28

So, yeah, Thornton and Marleau are old. Still producing at a high level and showing no signs of age. Marleau showed signs of "I want the coach gone" like he did the year Ron Wilson was fired, but he was still skating like the wind. Thornton is showing no signs of age at all and his game really is based around size and vision, so I don't expect a fast decline. He is the type who will play into his 40's.

But calling them an "Old" team is silly at this juncture.

San Jose's 9th pick is off the table barring serious overpayment that you would hate. Those were Wilson's own words. If he moves that pick, it is to move up, or move back no further than 14th to get another 2nd rounder since the 9-14 picks are pretty equal in value.

OK so, the I guess you think B Schenn and Del Z is not a good value for SJ for the 9th pick

God no. Not in this draft. Not the entire pick.

Moving up or down a spot or two is likely the only way to mitigate the cost.

In this draft, a top 10 pick straight up is going to cost you an impact player no matter who you are.

My only rush to resign him is to know whether or not to include him in any moves at the draft or not.

He doesn't really have much value in a trade IMO. Sure, he had a nice year for us last year, but other GMs won't put much value into that considering how up-and-down his career has been

@joelrey Thorton, this is a great draft, but there will be some outright lemons for sure, there always are and there will be some guys who never live up to the hype and just be solid players. I really dont think that B Schenn and Del Zotto for the 9th or 10th pick is a bad trade. Both are talented young players. Drafting young guys is a gamble, Rantenen or Crouse could turn out to be great players or they could end up  no better than B Schenn. So i guess we will see what happens at the draft. I still think there will be trades, i also think most GMS talk alot of crap, saying people are gonna have to overpay, they all say that. Look at what Chicago and Toronto want for Sharp and Kessel, they wont get close to what their asking for. Some GM in a panic to keep his job is gonna make a move that may or may not work.

@joelrey Thorton, this is a great draft, but there will be some outright lemons for sure, there always are and there will be some guys who never live up to the hype and just be solid players. I really dont think that B Schenn and Del Zotto for the 9th or 10th pick is a bad trade. Both are talented young players. Drafting young guys is a gamble, Rantenen or Crouse could turn out to be great players or they could end up no better than B Schenn. So i guess we will see what happens at the draft. I still think there will be trades, i also think most GMS talk alot of crap, saying people are gonna have to overpay, they all say that. Look at what Chicago and Toronto want for Sharp and Kessel, they wont get close to what their asking for. Some GM in a panic to keep his job is gonna make a move that may or may not work.

No way they do that deal. Schenn and MDZ are not getting you a top 10 in this draft. You would have to throw in the other first rounder and more than likely something else

Not gonna happen.

No way they do that deal. Schenn and MDZ are not getting you a top 10 in this draft. You would have to throw in the other first rounder and more than likely something else

Not gonna happen.

Do you think MDZ, B Schenn, and #29 get you #9? And would you do that?

I'm not sure. I think I'd be tempted from the Flyer end but ultimately probably wouldn't do it

Do you think MDZ, B Schenn, and #29 get you #9? And would you do that?

I'm not sure. I think I'd be tempted from the Flyer end but ultimately probably wouldn't do it

That should do it, but it's a very bad deal for the Flyers. Two young, good nhl roster players to move up 20 slots - outside the top 5 at that - hell no. Maybe to go from 9 to 1.

That should do it, but it's a very bad deal for the Flyers. Two young, good nhl roster players to move up 20 slots - outside the top 5 at that - hell no. Maybe to go from 9 to 1.

Yeah, I really can't argue with that. I wouldn't do it either but do think that's about what it would take if you really wanted that pick for some reason.

God no. Not in this draft. Not the entire pick.

Moving up or down a spot or two is likely the only way to mitigate the cost.

In this draft, a top 10 pick straight up is going to cost you an impact player no matter who you are.

What if we threw in Vinny and Grossmann?  Come on now Joe T, that should get it done with no problem!  :ph34r:

As you said, you have 19 Million in cap space.  How about you take a couple albatrosses for us? hehe

What if we threw in Vinny and Grossmann? Come on now Joe T, that should get it done with no problem! :ph34r:

As you said, you have 19 Million in cap space. How about you take a couple albatrosses for us? hehe

Well, they already have Thornton, so... ;)

OK so, the I guess you think B Schenn and Del Z is not a good value for SJ for the 9th pick

I may be in the minority, but B Schenn is still a kid I believe in.  I'd like to see how he does under Hakstol.  He has quietly gotten better, especially after putting up decent numbers for a player who bounced around a lot on the different lines.  The Flyers desperately need to move Vinny and some defensemen.  L Schenn would be my ideal trade bait as one of our younger d-men, though I can't see him getting great value.  Del Z would ideally remain with the team, but as you said, if the Flyers can't get a reasonable contract out of him, he may serve as better trade bait, althought hat doe slittle t help their cap issues.  They have to start making room for the young kids to come up as they are ready and it would be great to have Del Z as part of that young defensive core.  Best case scenario is seeing McDud, Grossmann and L. Schenn moved over the next couple seasons, of course that would require the existence of Santa Clause to make that happen!  We need the Miracle on S. Broad Street!

I keep going back to the same point about B.Schenn, I can't help it. I see a whole lot of good things....*nothing* great. Slightly better than average shot, average skater, average tenacity and grit, average moves, average smarts. Nothing jumps out at me. He's a good solid young player who will kick in 25-30 goals, and that is not chop liver. My problem is, for him to attain those stats, he *has* to get top 6 minutes, and having somebody who is an average skater on the ice during key points in the game inevitably puts the Flyers at a disadvantage against faster teams.....and I think Hakstol will see this clearly as time goes by, he probably already knows this.

I keep going back to the same point about B.Schenn, I can't help it. I see a whole lot of good things....*nothing* great. Slightly better than average shot, average skater, average tenacity and grit, average moves, average smarts. Nothing jumps out at me. He's a good solid young player who will kick in 25-30 goals, and that is not chop liver. My problem is, for him to attain those stats, he *has* to get top 6 minutes, and having somebody who is an average skater on the ice during key points in the game inevitably puts the Flyers at a disadvantage against faster teams.....and I think Hakstol will see this clearly as time goes by, he probably already knows this.

Here is what I am thinking.  If I am not mistaken, B Schenn is scheduled to be getting $2,750 mil next year.  And after next year, his contract expires. 

You are talking a fast, good skating, scoring forward.  Most likely - unless Hexy gets extremely creative and does some blokcbuster deal - you won't get that kind of a player for the money Schenn is making now, and his salary is high when considering how much (or how little in this case) he has contributed thus far. 

If I am Hexy, I am using this year to monitor and measure what B Schenn can do with a new coach, new system, and possibly new linemates.  I know this past year was supposed to be that year for him, but with how screwy things went for the whole team with Berube and everything, you almost have throw the whole 2014-2015 out the window.

So if B Schenn improves vastly, he will most definitely command a decent race, and I am not sure how much more the Flyers can afford to give him considering, again, his salary is already higher than it should be (in my opinion). If he gives you basically the same he gave you so far, then you have a pretty darn good idea what to expect out of him.  At that point, it's another dilemma.  He won't have much ammunition to demand a big race, but do the Flyers really want to hold on to him given his limitations? 

Del Zotto is a different case altogether.  I like his game, and I think so do the Flyers.  And considering the already weak Flyers' blueline as is, they are not really in a good position to lose him without replacing him with a similar player either through free agency or a trade. Much depends on how far apart they are on the salary, I guess.

I may be in the minority, but B Schenn is still a kid I believe in.  I'd like to see how he does under Hakstol.

I agree i have been one of the folks that have been hard on the boy but only because i want to see him do well.

But wasn't Patrick Sharp about 25 before he had his first 30 goal season so i certainly don't want that to happen again...so yes let's give him some more time under a "real" coach with his pretty decent contract before we just ship him off only to blossom somewhere else.

Sounds like some of you guys are writing off BSchenn as a bust, or at least not worth keeping. I don't know but it seems to me it's way early to dangle him just to get a draft pick. I understand this is a special draft but BSCHENN is nowhere near done improving. He's just got late-bloomer syndrome I guess...hope so anyway.

Rumors swirling that Del Zotto may go the arbitration route.

Anybody got any RFA comparables for him?

Also, could this increase the chances he's dealt? I would think so. Flyers have never liked guys filing for arbitration...

Rumors swirling that Del Zotto may go the arbitration route.

Anybody got any RFA comparables for him?

Also, could this increase the chances he's dealt? I would think so. Flyers have never liked guys filing for arbitration...

Yes he could find his ass traded especially if they can get Provorov to take his place....buh bye MDZ!!

Archived