McKenzie: Hayes signed - 7 yrs / 50 milion

ruxpin

Do you like this signing?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the terms that the Flyers gave Hayes? (7 yrs / ~50 million)

• Yes - Best deal the Flyers could come up with
    • Yes - Glad he is a Flyers but signed for too much
    • Hell No! - Too much money. What is Fletcher doing to us???

The Flyers appear to have landed their No. 2 center, even if their general manager wouldn’t confirm it Tuesday night.

Several reports say Kevin Hayes, who could have been an unrestricted free agent July 1, has agreed to a seven-year deal with the Flyers.

“Nothing is signed. We are still working on things,” GM Chuck Fletcher said late Tuesday. “I’m hopeful we’ll get it done.”

Hayes will get a seven-year contract for $50 million, according to the Canadian website Sportsnet. That’s an annual salary-cap hit of $7.1 million.

The Flyers are expected to make an official announcement Wednesday.

Two weeks ago, the Flyers acquired the rights to Hayes from the Winnipeg Jets for a fifth-round pick in this weekend’s draft.

The 6-foot-5, 216-pound Hayes had a combined 19 goals and a career-high 55 points in 71 games with the New York Rangers and Winnipeg last season.

When it becomes official, he will be reunited with new Flyers coach Alain Vigneault. Hayes, a Massachusetts native, had a career-best 25 goals while playing for Vigneault when he coached the New York Rangers in 2017-18.

Hayes, 27, had a $5.175 cap hit last season.

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Fletcher has tossed away a 2nd round and a 3rd round pick and is now way overpaying for a player.  Yikes folks, this is deja vu...

It is beyond comprehension. This is a guy who was benched in the playoffs and we pay him like he is a savior. What does this say about Patrick. If Patrick is really going to become the 2nd line center, then we will be paying our 3rd line center 7.14 million a year.

We trade for Braun whose numbers are beyond bad; we trade for Niskanen whose numbers are declining and we retain salary, for good measure What's next, trading for Chara?

It took years to free up cap space and "Fleece-Me" Fletcher undid that in less than a week. Comical. 

• Uggh... 1

It seems like we are paying "right now relief" from a chiro for $1,000.00 a session, with a next day follow up of $450.00.

As oppose to wait it out for a few weeks and pay a chiro $80.00 a session for three times a week, for two weeks.

Hayes is the only long term contract though, so the other two contracts can be dissolved in a year or two, with little ramifications, since no young talent was given up, only promising possible legumes.

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Fletcher: "Hold my beer".

Haha, well payed. 

A couple things...

- I really like our depth down the middle. Coots, Hayes, Patrick, Laughton. That's solid.

- It's a year or two too long as a contract, but the upside is that Hayes can play wing and will kill penalties. So there are options with him and there is value.

- I agree with folks that Fletcher does not seem like an astute negotiator.. He's not terrible.., he's just too pragmatic and matter-of-fact. The corollary to that is that by not being a d***, maybe it builds some goodwill for when we need help down the road (i.e. Pronger, VLC, Schenn, and a few other 'future considerations' cap dumps when the Flyers were stuck). Holmgren burned those bridges, Hextall rebuilt them (and seemed to extract more value from trades and signings), and maybe Fletch gets to use them.

- Charlie O'Connor was referencing an article on the Gudas trade (from the Caps writers) where Radko was quoted as saying the environment was toxic in Philly. If that's the case, Fletch is trying to bring in dudes that will change that.

IN - Niskanen, Hayes, Braun

OUT - Gudas, MacDonald, 2nd rounder, 5th rounder, 3rd rounder (2020)

I can understand folks not liking the terms, or trades, but those three moves have definitely made the team better.

How much better? We'll see.

If we sign a 3RW and goalie (Talbot?) in free agency, we retain Ghost and will have one heckuva blueline.

Edited by brelic

Giving a guy that kind of money who's never even hit the 50-point mark is absolutely ridiculous. Another Flyers season I'm really disinterested about another season of mediocrity another season of no Stanley Cup. The Flyers are the only reason I have cable TV it looks like that may change in the near future.  Now we have two Paul Holmgren's's in the Flyers organization

4 minutes ago, FlyersFan4Life said:

Giving a guy that kind of money who's never even hit the 50-point mark is absolutely ridiculous. Another Flyers season I'm really disinterested about another season of mediocrity another season of no Stanley Cup. The Flyers are the only reason I have cable TV it looks like that may change in the near future.  Now we have two Paul Holmgren's's in the Flyers organization

He literally just came off a 54 point season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, brelic said:

Charlie O'Connor was referencing an article on the Gudas trade (from the Caps writers) where Radko was quoted as saying the environment was toxic in Philly. If that's the case, Fletch is trying to bring in dudes that will change that.

Would be very interested in seeing the source materials that Charlie was referring to.  Did Charlie post a link?

I do wonder if Radko is referring to the Hextall/Hakstol era.  Hope it's not a shot at the players.

Hate it, hate it, hate it.  Hayes is going to have to improve a lot for this to make sense, because if he doesn't, there won't be a spot for him on this roster.  You have to be top 6 (and producing like a top 6 forward) to earn that kind of coin and I don't ever see him getting 70 points.  I sincerely doubt Patrick's ceiling is on the 3rd line, so how many years X 7 million are the Flyers going to waste on Hayes?

Just now, Clarke2Leach said:

Hate it, hate it, hate it.  Hayes is going to have to improve a lot for this to make sense, because if he doesn't, there won't be a spot for him on this roster.  You have to be top 6 (and producing like a top 6 forward) to earn that kind of coin and I don't ever see him getting 70 points.  I sincerely doubt Patrick's ceiling is on the 3rd line, so how many years X 7 million are the Flyers going to waste on Hayes?

Agreed. At the very least he better learn to skate.

9 hours ago, vis said:

Actually, the real shame of it is that Patrick hasn't taken a step forward and claimed that 2C slot.

Yep and now he will have Frost breathing down his neck wanting that 3rd line center spot so he better get a move on or he could find himself getting a move out...no way i would deny Frost that spot since if he is ready....then the Flyers will have another issue on their hands...but it will be a good problem i guess.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yep and now he will have Frost breathing down his neck wanting that 3rd line center spot so he better get a move on or he could find himself getting a move out...no way i would deny Frost that spot since if he is ready....then the Flyers will have another issue on their hands...but it will be a good problem i guess.

Every team needs a 4C, @OccamsRazor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Charlie O'Connor was referencing an article on the Gudas trade (from the Caps writers) where Radko was quoted as saying the environment was toxic in Philly. If that's the case, Fletch is trying to bring in dudes that will change that.

Yes not to change subject but it didn't take Radko long to start throwing daggers...anyways makes me wonder who he was referring to when he said all they cared about was themselves...i would love to know who that was.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

I can understand folks not liking the terms, or trades, but those three moves have definitely made the team better.

I agree i hope it works out....they MUST make the playoffs this year...i think they will Columbus will easily now fall by the wayside i think after what they all lose. It needs to work or else i will have to grab a pitchfork and join the mob...

#Cuporbust

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes not to change subject but it didn't take Radko long to start throwing daggers...anyways makes me wonder who he was referring to when he said all they cared about was themselves...i would love to know who that was.

Is that what he said? Ouch. 

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree i hope it works out....they MUST make the playoffs this year...i think they will Columbus will easily now fall by the wayside i think after what they all lose. It needs to work or else i will have to grab a pitchfork and join the mob...

#Cuporbust

Haha, Cup or bust is optimistic! How about 2nd round or bust?? Lol

So, one time 20 goal scorer, one time 50 point player (not even the same year), in a five year career.

$7+M deal for seven years...

Welcome to the poster child for the next lockout.

Happy as heck for this to work out. Skeptical.

• Like 4

On the face, I think it's too much money for too many years.  That being said, there are no other options out there and Fletch had no choice but to sign a 2C.   Could you imagine if he didn't get a 2c this summer?   Flyers brass must be breathing down his neck.   Flyers fans would have lost their collective minds.   

As Brelic said:

1 hour ago, brelic said:

I really like our depth down the middle. Coots, Hayes, Patrick, Laughton. That's solid.

Don't forget that this helps 5 on 5 and the penalty kill.    They don't have to waste Couturier/Giroux on the PK as much.

I do think that this causes some issues in the future.   Where does Frost fit in?   Couturier just gained a huge bargaining chip.    

What does the middle look like in 4 years?   Couturier, Patrick, Frost, Hayes?     Does Couturier get traded and bump everyone up one line? 

Will be interesting to see how it shakes out in the future, but for now the Flyers are a better team than they were 2 month ago.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, brelic said:

Is that what he said? Ouch. 

The guy who wrote the article....

8 minutes ago, brelic said:

How about 2nd round or bust??

Uh hell no after the additions they have made the only justification is a Cup. Now it doesn't have to happen this year but within the next two....sorry...thems the breaks....so yeah a ECF trip this next playoffs will be expectations....for me.