Kovlachuk is being released by LA is he worth a look?

RonJeremy

43 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@JR Ewing

My dig at Klima wasn't at all personal.

I didn't think it was at all. I was just explaining my mixed feelings re: Klima. I appreciated the changes he made in his life away from the rink, and was eternally frustrated at his inability to make changes on the ice.

43 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

And that's why I compared Kovalchuk to him at this stage.
The version of Klima the Lightning got in the mid 90's was near the end of his career...he actually put up a decent season or two if I recall, but again, like Kovalchuk, his 'half game only' was tolerated as long as he was producing.

He was, as you know, otherwise putrid in his own end (if he could ever be found there), and once the offense dried up, so did the appeal of having him on the team.
Kovalchuk would probably see the same if he ended up in Philly...albeit with a much more rabid fanbase chomping at his heels.

It's like the reverse Mendoza Line: how long can an offense-only guy stay in the league when he'd rather die than backheck? He lasts as long as his bat can keep him around.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Lol. You gotta hand it to the Ruskies though eh?  It's been one helluva 3rd period comeback for them!

From communism to dictatorship...what a ride. Too bad its still only 1% of the population who reaps the benefits.

23 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I honestly would not want him at $7.25/hr.

The whole concept of him makes me want to vomit. No thank you.

Which is why the Leafs will probably acquire him.  He fits PERFECTLY in Toronto's no-defence system. 

Plus he's a FORWARD... and Toronto needs to put more salary into its forward group.  I'm sure we could move out some defenceman or maybe Andersen to get Kovalchuk.  Surprised the Leafs haven't done it already. 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

If all else fails in dumping our overpriced stiffs, maybe LA does a deal with us and we give up JVR or Jake for Kovlachuk. Even if it ends up being an Umberger move, we knock off a number of years from paying a big contract. Kovlachuck has several years less  in his contract.  Kovlachuck might be a douche and you might hate him, but its safe to say Jake and JVR are not fan favorites.  but at least  Kovlachuk is a finisher. Would you rather see the goofy bastards JVR and Jake for 5 more years or Kovlachuk for 2 years. 

Ahhh the modern day NHL..... where the biggest trades now involve teams trying to get rid of players they DON'T want rather than acquire the players they do. 

"You take our stiff and we'll take your stiff! Do we have a deal???"  "Yay! We saved some cap space!"  :dizzysmiley-1:

• Good Post 2

I can't at all see how Kovalchuk makes the Flyers better in any capacity. He's not going to play in the Top Six or on the PP and if you put him in JVR's 4th line role, you're playing a man down.

33 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

"You take our stiff and we'll take your stiff! Do we have a deal???"  "Yay! We saved some cap space!"  

There's also the "you give us a serviceable player and we'll give you an LTIR guy you can hit the cap floor with" (ala Pronger, Chris)

The league is run so well that they will probably need another lockout to lower salaries and try to get the players to stop the owners from offering them so much money.

Again.

• Thanks 1

@TropicalFruitGirl26 @JR Ewing

Klima. Probert. Chiasson. Joe Murphy. Sheldon Kennedy. Tim Cheveldae. All under one roof at the same time in Detroit. No wonder the Wings could never win, there were enough psychosis and neurosis and ism's on that team to keep an entire graduating class of shrinks in BMW's for life.

• Like 2

Looks like my two cents is simply piling on at this point. But this is a new day in 'merica where even bad ideas must be "considered"

I wouldn't walk across the street to piss on Kovalchuk if he was on fire.

Worst. Idea. This week.