Game 20: Flyers at Penguins; 3/2/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

12 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Good night folks.... they simply got outplayed 

100%. Great effort by the Pens, piss poor effort by the Flyers the majority of the game. This is the NHL, you can never take a night off. I expect AV to rip into them and a much better effort next game.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Howie58 said:

D that wasn't where it was needed led to quick strikes. Not good

Yes they have to find a way to stop letting the Penguin players get in behind the defense for the easy rebounds. This is where an Ekholm would help alot.

But I might as give up on that idea I know Chuckles will never make a trade like that he'll end up as a Penguin or Bruin I know it and they will have to face him for the next two plus years.

Flyers never get good players like that especially when there is a glaring need for them. They make a weak trade for some teams 6th or 7th defenseman or something like that.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

WOW.....now even the CHILDREN of former players come back to score on us.....

I give up.

Oh yeah it is the way it goes in Philly.

I said Friedman would score two goals and two assist in these 3 games it was a given.

Well he got one assist last night.

One to go.

And now Son of Sam nails them.

When will it end?

I wish we had drafted Kapanen.  Meanwhile, the D showed problems against MTL and NYI in the playoffs, got eaten alive by Boston, and may be burrowed by PIT. Yes, Chuck needs to think that one through. 

• Like 1

They play well against weak teams and get taken to the wood shed against top teams 

Anyone care to guess what that results in?

The consistent weak defense,  the abysmal power play and lackluster effort indicate this team will not get better 

So, is it coaching? Or is it sub par talent?

20 minutes ago, CoachX said:

The consistent weak defense

Yeah well I made suggestions on how to improve it and by moving one of the guys who will never fully reach his potential for one who can help now.

But no all I get is well he one day might blah blah blah so just hold onto him until we all know he won't and then let's try and take him when he no longer has the value he has right now.

Mind blowing.

So we are stuck with with a young stud defenseman and a couple of maybe and the rest just spare parts.

They definitely need to do something different.  They keep adding peripheral parts to a core of that cant get it done.  Its time they make a bold move to really shake things up

Obviously you keep Coots, Hayes and Farabee, and Provy, Myers and Sanhiem on D. The rest can be blown to pieces and moved for....wait for it...a REBUILD!

The horror!

13 minutes ago, CoachX said:

They definitely need to do something different.  They keep adding peripheral parts to a core of that cant get it done.  Its time they make a bold move to really shake things up

Obviously you keep Coots, Hayes and Farabee, and Provy, Myers and Sanhiem on D. The rest can be blown to pieces and moved for....wait for it...a REBUILD!

The horror!

The sad part is a rebuild would likely mean wasting the best years of Couts, who is definitely our best player right now. Not saying it's not worth entertaining anyway. It just sucks in that way for sure.

You didn't mention TK in that list. Would you move him?

3 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I would for the right return.

In fact since they are best buds I would package him and Patrick together.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes they have to find a way to stop letting the Penguin players get in behind the defense for the easy rebounds. This is where an Ekholm would help alot.

I was thinking that was an instance where they really missed Niskanen.

In a 2-1 game he's not letting Rust and Guentzel get behind him, unless it's behind the cage. Both 9 and 53 were puck watching.  Steady Eddie would have chirped Ivan to watch his man.

I just don't think #9 is all the way there yet. 

He's one of my favorites but he is showing his youth. He will benefit immensely from a veteran presence. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I just don't think #9 is all the way there yet. 

Exactly it is why you get him a Kimmo type to help nurture him along the way.

Ekholm would be a great option for that for him or Myers. He would have a much better pupil to work with than Fabbro.

Savard could aid in that department too.

But he would be my option if Ekholm wasn't possible.

If you go back a few years, what comes to mind?  I'd reckon a common belief that we would have one of the best defenses in the league.  There was concern our core wasn't what it used to be on the forward side, but the D would be mobile and among the best in the league given our drafts.  Well, here we are and our D is mediocre with a 3.0 GAA:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/team/_/name/phi/philadelphia-flyers

Yes folks, we are 23rd in defense:

https://sportsjaw.com/nhl/picks/1713570/philadelphia-flyers-vs-pittsburgh-penguins-prediction-2021-03-04/

Granted, defense is also a team gig, not simply the role of the D, but we have to wonder if our prospects will pan out as planned? Niskanen's departure is part of the problem, but I have to wonder about Myers and company.  Are they going to be as good as we thought?  

Our forwards are a mixed bag.  We have to be happy with JF, and Giroux is a playmaker of value.  That said, there are few players on this squad we should consider untouchable.

Edited by Howie58
  • Good Post 1

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Are they going to be as good as we thought?  

Worst 10

PPs since start of 19-20 (+playoffs) in ExGF/60

1. Coyotes: 5.47

2. Blue Jackets: 5.52

3. Wings: 5.52

4. Canadiens: 5.52

5. Wild: 5.66

6. Sabres: 5.89

7. @NHLFlyers: 6.04

8. Canucks: 6.34

9. Ducks: 6.56

10. Devs: 6.71

#Flyers worst SEASON prior? 6.37 in 07-08.

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working

How long before a change takes place?

Basically...

PP under Therrien, which is now 107 games... Has been worse than EVERY other #Flyers PP from 2007-2019 in terms of chance creation.

12 seasons.

And ONLY 2007-08 was under 7.00 pre-Therrien... which both 2019-20 AND Playoffs AND 2020-21 so far have been.

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

The sad part is a rebuild would likely mean wasting the best years of Couts, who is definitely our best player right now. Not saying it's not worth entertaining anyway. It just sucks in that way for sure.

Yes. I would move TK, for the right price.  Im not sure what his problem is, but at this point i wouldnt call it a slump

All star last season,  then a complete drop off since

• Like 1

I wonder what would have been if AV had just rolled with the lines from the weekend?

In a series of games vs the Pens I think a line with NAK who has been pretty good since the team's COVID stoppage would be beneficial. 

I don't know that I think putting TK into the lineup on the 4th line did anyone any favors. 

That game was not fun to watch. 

When the Flyers didn't score on those early power plays, after moving the puck and getting some pretty okay shots...I thought they were going to pay and they did.

The Pens speed was evident and they outbattled our guys frequently. 

Hopefully Thursday's effort and result will be different.

I don't think this is a group that will go "into the tank", I didn't hear anyone that sounded beaten in the pressers. 

No team in the NHL can afford lazy passes and losing puck battles 70% of the time.

The Pens don't suck and to beat them you have to play well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Howie58 said:

If you go back a few years, what comes to mind?  I'd reckon a common belief that we would have one of the best defenses in the league.  There was concern our core wasn't what it used to be on the forward side, but the D would be mobile and among the best in the league given our drafts.  Well, here we are and our D is mediocre with a 3.0 GAA:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/team/_/name/phi/philadelphia-flyers

Yes folks, we are 23rd in defense:

https://sportsjaw.com/nhl/picks/1713570/philadelphia-flyers-vs-pittsburgh-penguins-prediction-2021-03-04/

Granted, defense is also a team gig, not simply the role of the D, but we have to wonder if our prospects will pan out as planned? Niskanen's departure is part of the problem, but I have to wonder about Myers and company.  Are they going to be as good as we thought?  

Our forwards are a mixed bag.  We have to be happy with JF, and Giroux is a playmaker of value.  That said, there are few players on this squad we should consider untouchable.

i just dont understand why av is at fault for this? like we have been changing coaches and it's been the same result, i said it when they hired av, there's no more excuses to change coaches,if it's the same result, it's the players. what do we do? jake and giroux have to go and the whole defense has to be overhauled, i would keep provy and sanheim, the rest goes.

pull the hurricanes blueprint, experienced defense and younger forwards. it worked for us in the past.

6 hours ago, CoachX said:

They play well against weak teams and get taken to the wood shed against top teams 

Anyone care to guess what that results in?

The consistent weak defense,  the abysmal power play and lackluster effort indicate this team will not get better 

So, is it coaching? Or is it sub par talent?

We have been through several coaches and it’s basically the same results as far as our top players not being difference makers in big games , the players not showing motivation or urgency, a crappy PP,  horrible in shootouts, sleeping through half the game. Other than Haksol , you can’t blame the head coach. The common denominator  for 10 years of mediocrity has been the so called nucleus, Giroux,  Voracek, etc. When we played Boston, their top guy Pastranuk destroyed us in two games singlehanded.  Our so called best players do not rise to the occasion for big games, they are a non factor when it matters most. I will say it again, we are not winning anything with this team and it’s leadership. We certainly need another defenseman like Ekholm, then we can get Haag or Braun out of the lineup, but the cost will be steep, then you will have to pay Seattle not to take him on top of that. Not sure if the price will be worth it, because even if you improve the defense, the other problems are still there. Expecting Giroux to lead this team is like expecting Joe Biden to give a motivational speech.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

the whole defense has to be overhauled, i would keep provy and sanheim, the rest goes.

pull the hurricanes blueprint, experienced defense and younger forwards. it worked for us in the past.

Myers stays in my books. 

As for the Canes, they've played 3 more games than Philly and have 6 more points.  And I'd take my chances in their division over ours, other than Tampa. And our defence is actually older than theirs.