Flyers Place Gostisbehere On Waivers

Digityman

3 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Giroux said this last night to JJ/Jones after the OT winner.  Giroux said something like "I didn't say a word, Braun and Laughton spoke up...."   The fact that the leadership didn't says something.   Maybe Giroux/Jake/veterans all have tried a few times before and got nothing from it.

I've been having a lot of fun taking the piss out of this thread because, what do we really know, right? 

However...

I heard this too. But, I didn't hear this as a negative.

Now, this is just me and the kind of leader I have been and try to be, but I would want that to happen. I would want a younger guy, a newer guy, to take ownership the way I have. I would consider it to be failing if there weren't a couple of 5 other people wanting to contribute to making those comments. 

My dad told me when I was a young man after being promoted to my first leadership position, to always be on the lookout for my replacement and to try to help those people become leaders and owners of the processes as well. You'll have a team that functions better if everyone owns the job.

That piece of advice served me well for years. 

Maybe my dad's been talking to Claude ? 

All I'm saying is people lead in all kinds of ways, being the loudest voice in the room doesn't help if what is being said isn't effective.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Maybe Giroux/Jake/veterans all have tried a few times before and got nothing from it.

Maybe players are tuning out the so-called veteran leadership such as G/Jake.  Maybe these so-called leaders are losing the locker room? Just trying to view from a different angel .....that's all I got. (shrugging shoulders)

Edited by pilldoc

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I've been having a lot of fun taking the piss out of this thread because, what do we really know, right? 

However...

Now, this is just me and the kind of leader I have been and try to be, but I would want that to happen. I would want a younger guy, a newer guy, to take ownership the way I have. I would consider it to be failing if there weren't a couple of 5 other people wanting to contribute to making those comments. 

My dad told me when I was a young man after being promoted to my first leadership position, to always be on the lookout for my replacement and to try to help those people become leaders and owners of the processes as well. You'll have a team that functions better if everyone owns the job.

That piece of advice served me well for years. 

Maybe my dad's been talking to Claude ? 

All I'm saying is people lead in all kinds of ways, being the loudest voice in the room doesn't help if what is being said isn't effective.

Hear ya loud and clear and definitely see your POV

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Now, this is just me and the kind of leader I have been and try to be, but I would want that to happen. I would want a younger guy, a newer guy, to take ownership the way I have.

Thing is, I've not heard of him "taking ownership" that way before. I've heard all about how he's a quiet leader, leading by example, etc. ...

As always happy to learn.

To be clear, I'm pleased as punch that someone said something about them getting their keisters handed to them by the worst team in the league.

:thumbsu:

Edited by radoran
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I also heard this about Ghost, Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ghost pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

I hope he pulls through

phjbSas.png

Edited by Cheesesteak
trying to post pic
  • Haha 1

Apparently Fletcher and AV just don't value the guy. I sure do. He was fun to watch, part of the reason I could stomach watching this year. The guy had surgery on both knees the past 2 years. He's finally healthy now and looking like the offensive threat he was before. I think he's got 11 pts in 25 games...

Yes he's expensive if you think of him strictly as a 3rd pair D-man. But he's so much more than that. He was the one guy getting shots thru from the point this year. As much as I'm rooting for Myers/Sanheim they both look like Braydon Coburn at the point, pretty much guaranteed to hit the defender with the shot.

I can't believe they're keeping Gustaffson over Ghost. Of course waiving Gus means Fletcher has to admit it was a stupid move hiring him in the first place. I doubt he's man enough to do that but he should.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Maybe there is a trade offer and they are needing to wait to see if he is claimed tomorrow by noon before the other shoe drops...because they need all of his salary to do it, one million won't cut it.

And if he isn't claimed well the deal is off.

So we wait till noon tomorrow.

Unless something of a tidbit sneaks out to the media...which has happened before.

2 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I think he's got 11 pts in 25 games...

Well will know tomorrow what the NHL thinks of him if his home town Panthers don't take him with all that cap space They will have a need for a D man too...

...well then many just don't think he is worth a waiver pickup...and maybe not that good.

I have always liked Ghost despite his limits.

I wish him well whatever happens.

Flyers need a top 4 D man and well he just isn't it.

I thought he has looked ok with Morin.

But it is about what the brass think.

Just now, GratefulFlyers said:

Well Gost is hardly a replacement for Ekblad. And a $4.5mil cap hit...I don't know how interested FL is in adding that much to their cap for an offense-first D-man.

It doesn’t have to be a Ekblad clone, he could be replacing the guy in the lineup who will be getting bumped up the lineup into Ek's spot.

• Like 1

Good point - I rarely watch the Panthers so I have no clue whose skates he could fill. If they do take him...Ghost, Gudas teaming up against the Flyers should be fun!

I just think it's a shame. It's like when the Eagles picked a QB while they had Wentz. Talk about a message...I could see Gost feeling a bit abandoned when Gus was hired. From his POV he had a record-setting rookie year, then got hurt, got hurt again and only now is back to 100% - and I'd argue playing well. But obviously his bosses don't share my opinion.

• Like 2

Florida would only have to pay about $1.5 million for the remainder of this season. It’s like a 20 game audition. If he plays well then the panthers have him 2 more years at 4.5 mil. If they don’t like the audition they could try to flip him in the off season. 

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 1

Unless they are acquiring a better player than Ghost, it is a very bad move, roster wise and managing your assets.

Like him or not like him(individually, because the whole team played like suck). he is the only defensemen that has the ability to exponentially keep the puck in the offensive zone, the only other player would be G, but his age limits him to be able to do it consistently.

In the Power Play this is crucial to keeping momentum in scoring and when pulling a goalie out in a series, this is crucial.

Ghost knows how to juke and no one on our team can compare.

He use to play with Morin in the AHL I believe and were a solid D pair and had chemistry as well. They were our future D pairings.

If he gets claimed for nothing of action, then that was very foolish/stupid to loose out on an asset for nothing.

His contract was setup after he showed promise 1st/2nd year same as Coots was. Coots skyrocketed on a slow projection but that contract is gold, Ghost was projected to path in the same direction but had a few technical mishaps along the way to not be in the same orbit for a defensemen.

BTW Sam C. in the past thought a legit tweet came out and posted it on his blog and then had to retract it last time and apologize because he thought it was real, so you can't quote him and take it as a source, meta'd.

• Good Post 1

40 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe there is a trade offer and they are needing to wait to see if he is claimed tomorrow by noon before the other shoe drops...because they need all of his salary to do it, one million won't cut it.

And if he isn't claimed well the deal is off.

So we wait till noon tomorrow.

Unless something of a tidbit sneaks out to the media...which has happened before.

All over the net, lots of speculation that the Flyers have a major deal in place. Ghost if he clears can be added to the taxi squad or sent to the AHL where his salary will not count against the cap. Multiple places are saying either Taylor Hall or Johnny Gaudreau coming in. Not saying they are right but these are the two names mentioned most. I would not be surprised if it is Gaudreau as the Flames culture is a train wreck, but Hall is clearly not long for Western New York. Gaudreau would likely cost more as he has another year remaining on his deal.

Or maybe Bobby Ryan for a first and a second, lol

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

He slept with Brind'amour's wife.  

#AmIRight?

I almost did It was very dark in the parking lot at the local tavern and while kissing she asked me if I had ever seen her Rod. I am assuming she was referring to Brind'Amour.  Anyway, at that point I left in a hurry.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Multiple places are saying either Taylor Hall or Johnny Gaudreau coming in.

I swear if we trade anything of value for either of those two "more of the same" my Flyer viewing season will be over. 

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Ghost if he clears can be added to the taxi squad or sent to the AHL where his salary will not count against the cap

Not all of it. They would only get like a million in cap relief.

They could get all of it off the books if someone claims him.

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Multiple places are saying either Taylor Hall or Johnny Gaudreau coming in.

I would take Johnny Hockey if I had to choose.

Johnny is also 2 and a half years younger.

Maybe Hayes and Johnny could rekindle their college magic.

But more salary need to go the other way to make that happen for sure.

The biggest concern with this unless a D-man is coming back too is the Flyers need defensive help.

So I am sure the rumors are a swirling till noon tomorrow.

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 1

So let me get this straight...Fletcher thought Justin Braun was worth a 2nd round pick AND a 3rd...but he doesn't think Ghost is worth a 3rd? Or a 4th? Or a 5th?

I mean I get that the 2nd was worth the Minne and the 3rd was worth the sota and all...

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would take Johnny Hockey if I had to choose.

Jesus...don't we have enough of these overpaid underachieving clowns? 

If I had to choose...I mean had to...I'd take Taylor Hall and hope he can work his "1st pick overall magic" yet again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

So let me get this straight...Fletcher thought Justin Braun was worth a 2nd round pick AND a 3rd...but he doesn't think Ghost is worth a 3rd? Or a 4th? Or a 5th?

I mean I get that the 2nd was worth the Minne and the 3rd was worth the sota and all...

maybe he tried, and other, wiser, GMs laughed him off the phone.

"he can't stay in the lineup on THIS defense and you want what for him???"

• Good Post 1

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If I had to choose...I mean had to...I'd take Taylor Hall and hope he can work his "1st pick overall magic" yet again.

On one hand, yeah Johnny is a bit of an underachiever, but playing for his favorite team from when he was a kid, might be a tremendous motivator for him. Plus, Gaudreau makes half of what Hall does, and losing seems to follow Hall around often.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

10 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Either of them will not help our crappy defense and lack of physical wingers 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

On one hand, yeah Johnny is a bit of an underachiever, but playing for his favorite team from when he was a kid, might be a tremendous motivator for him. Plus, Gaudreau makes half of what Hall does, and losing seems to follow Hall around often.

If we trade Jake for Johnny Hockey, I’m all in, but we are already in cap hell and no one is taking Jake, so I don’t see us adding any high priced forwards. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Damn when you put it that way now I'm pissed off, I'm going to drive to the Walt Whitman and jump off now I hope you feel guilty.

• Haha 2