Gostisbehere Traded To Arizona

Samifan

Flyers give up two picks to send Gostisbehere to Coyotes

The Philadelphia Flyers traded Shayne Gostisbehere, a second-round pick and a seventh-round pick to the Arizona Coyotes on Thursday to clear cap space.

TSN.ca Staff

•  

The Philadelphia Flyers traded Shayne Gostisbehere, a second-round pick and a seventh-round pick to the Arizona Coyotes on Thursday to clear cap space.

Gostisbehere has two years left on his deal with a cap hit of $4.5 million per season. The trade leaves the Flyers with 13.9 million in cap space this off-season with 16 players currently under contract, per CapFriendly.

The 28-year-old has spent his entire seven-year NHL career with the Flyers, scoring nine goals and adding 11 assists in 41 games last season. His best season came in 2017-18 when he tallied 13 goals and 65 points in 78 games.

More to come.

I said this in the shout box.

This is the market, it's not great for the team, but if changes are to be made then cap space is necessary. 

Now there's some space. Let's hope more things happen. 

It's weird that cap space is more valuable than players and picks right now.

We live in a weird time.

• Like 4

kind of sucks losing a second, but that’s the price for offloading bad contracts. He clearly didn’t have much for trade value, or he would have been traded some time ago. Seems fine to me. 

Now, if Fletch can’t get decent return for Voracek, that’s a different story....

Edited by elmatus

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Our management totally blows.

I mean maybe, but i wouldn’t use this as an example for that. What did you think they could get for a guy who had a couple good seasons way back and then a bunch of bad to awful after that. Truth is, Ghost had less than no value, he had minus value. We needed cap space, and we got it.

I’m not sold on Fletch any more than you are, but this isn’t mismanagement imo. This is pretty much what we should have expected. It was this or a buyout, and Fletch decided we needed cap space more than a 2nd round pick. That may prove to be wrong in the long run, but It’s not egregious from where we’re sitting right now. 

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Two picks?  Ill never understand the issue with ghost.  I liked him and would have kept

I don't like paying to give the player away. Getting $4.5M in cap space is "nice" but getting, say, $7M or $8.25M in cap space would be "better" and I'd rather have used assets to accomplish that than this.

With the proviso that there could very well still be shoes to drop.

Or there better be...

:hocky:

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

27 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I mean maybe, but i wouldn’t use this as an example for that. What did you think they could get for a guy who had a couple good seasons way back and then a bunch of bad to awful after that. Truth is, Ghost had less than no value, he had minus value. We needed cap space, and we got it.

I’m not sold on Fletch any more than you are, but this isn’t mismanagement imo. This is pretty much what we should have expected. It was this or a buyout, and Fletch decided we needed cap space more than a 2nd round pick. That may prove to be wrong in the long run, but It’s not egregious from where we’re sitting right now. 

Our management (not counting Hextall) has thought 2nd round picks are complete garbage for 3 decades. This isn't a Fletcher thing, it's a Flyers thing. Ok, it's a Fletcher thing too.

Meanwhile Shea Weber/Patrice Bergeron/Duncan Keith/David Krecji/Paul Stastny/Roman Josi/Milan Lucic/PK Subban/ Ryan O'Reilly/Nikita Kucherov/ Sebastion Aho/ Alex Debrincat and many many many more were selected by other teams with 2nd round picks. 

Our management is about as competent as this asshat...

Edited by flyercanuck

Can't wait to see what he does with his cap space! Does he seriously think he's a player or 2 away from a cup run. This is more of the Flyer M>O>. The drive towards mediocrity. Sneak in the playoffs, count receipts, suck for another decade. It's a sad sad situation when you can't even give away your high priced talent.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Meanwhile Shea Weber/Patrice Bergeron/Duncan Keith/David Krecji/Paul Stastny/Roman Josi/Milan Lucic/PK Subban/ Ryan O'Reilly/Nikita Kucherov/ Sebastion Aho/ Alex Debrincat and many many many more were selected by other teams with 2nd round picks. 

Carter Hart waving what am I chopped liver?

:sick:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Flyers give up two picks to send Gostisbehere to Coyotes

The Philadelphia Flyers traded Shayne Gostisbehere, a second-round pick and a seventh-round pick to the Arizona Coyotes on Thursday to clear cap space.

TSN.ca Staff

•  

The Philadelphia Flyers traded Shayne Gostisbehere, a second-round pick and a seventh-round pick to the Arizona Coyotes on Thursday to clear cap space.

Gostisbehere has two years left on his deal with a cap hit of $4.5 million per season. The trade leaves the Flyers with 13.9 million in cap space this off-season with 16 players currently under contract, per CapFriendly.

The 28-year-old has spent his entire seven-year NHL career with the Flyers, scoring nine goals and adding 11 assists in 41 games last season. His best season came in 2017-18 when he tallied 13 goals and 65 points in 78 games.

More to come.

How is this called a trade? Aren’t we supposed to get something in return?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Carter Hart waving what am I chopped liver?

:sick:

I was going to list Hart, and as I said there are many, many, many others. Hart just hasn't quite had the career (yet) of the guys I mentioned. But is still the best hope of a drafted/developed goalie the Flyers have had in decades. 

But who needs 2nd rounders, right?

• Sad 1