First it was Toronto, then it was Edmonton. Buffalo took over from them...but move over, the Flyers are becoming the biggest joke in the NHL

flyercanuck

I used to be proud to be a Flyers fan. For decades and decades I knew my team was always in the hunt for the cup. Maybe they'd have a couple years where they were mediocre, but then they'd be right back up there competing for the holy grail of hockey. 

Then Paul Holmgren came along. Sure all the planets aligned that one season and the team with the worst goaltending ever seen in a Stanley Cup final made it that far, only to lose to a team with a slightly less inferior goalie. After a few more years of trading 1st and 2nd and 3rd and 4th round picks for a constant revolving door of guys that used to be good, he was fired....and promoted at the same time. And now he's hired himself as GM again. Well not his actual self, but a clone...a guy who thinks along the same lines and despite his long career as a GM has also never won a f***ing thing! Never! 

So now, instead of a bad year meaning the Flyers will be mediocre, that's now our benchmark. It's what we strive to achieve. Mediocrity! Sell the farm for it! 

So let's rehash ol' Fletchs' track record of trades as the Homer of the Flyers

In

Kevin Hayes and his horrible contract.

One year of 32 year old Matt Niskanen who looked good for the regular season and terrible in the playoffs, but he's from Minnesota

32 year old Justin Braun who cost us a 2nd and a 3rd, but...Minnesota

We got 63 games of Tyler Pitlick, but...Minnesota.

Ryan Ellis... a good player who will be 31 and has an injury history 

Rasmus Ristolainen who's just a terrible hockey player.

A 1st, 2-2nds, 4th, 5th 2-7ths

Out

Nolan Patrick (22)

Phillipe Myers (24)

Shayne Gostisbehere (28)

Radko Gudas (29)

Robert Hagg (26)

Ryan Hartman (24)

Michael Raffl (32)

2-1sts, 4-2nds, 2-3rds, 4th, 2-5ths, 4-7ths

7 draft picks in...15 out.

How did trading young guys and draft picks work out for us under Homer? Cause if Fletcher is allowed to keep going the way he has so far, the next GM will be trying to restock the empty prospect cupboard and buy out all the old washed up used to be good players Fletcher is trading for. 

It's great to be a Flyers fan, innit?

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Good Post 4

I'm so pissed right ....don't even get me started.  

Plain and simple Fletcher is a tool ....this organization is in shambles.  I've been reluctant over the years and had NHL Center Ice, but nope not this year.  This just may be the year I terminate NHL Center Ice so I don't have to watch this horror show known as the Flyers ..... 

• Good Post 1

4 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Wonder if Hayes and Giroux will waive their NMC now? If anyone has a Coyote jersey I will trade them a Flyer jersey and include all my picks in the next entry draft. That's how you blow it TFU.

All in on Shayne Wright.

Sadly I could see a team picking Wright next year, or Bedard the next....with the Flyers 1st rounder. Fletcher would be THAT stupid. 

3 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Wonder if Hayes and Giroux will waive their NMC now? If anyone has a Coyote jersey I will trade them a Flyer jersey and include all my picks in the next entry draft. That's how you blow it TFU.

All in on Shayne Wright.

Even if they waive it, nobody is trading for Hayes and his long and bloated contract, especially coming off core surgery. We do have a shot at dumping G at the trade deadline to a playoff bound team.Since we are stuck with three overpaid players, Jake, JVR and Hayes , who’s numbers are going to diminish with each season ,there is absolutely no reason to give 29 year old Coots a 6 year $8 million contract. He is our most valuable asset , we can restock the team if we make the right deal. Coots is worth a top prospect a top young roster player and a first. That’s the way to go, with Coots we will be mediocre, without him we will suck, so what’s the difference. Coots is gonna start to break down and will be worthless in three years, don’t make the same mistake we did in holding on to Simmonds. A rebuild is imminent, especially if Risto fails and and our new “old “defenseman gets hurt. Also keep in mind Jake asked for a trade , but nobody wants him, so now we will have a malcontent floater instead of a plain floater to deal with .

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Also keep in mind Jake asked for a trade , but nobody wants him

Does anyone have a link for this? Did The lazy fazuck say something to a reporter or did he just tell Chuck?

24 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Does anyone have a link for this? Did The lazy fazuck say something to a reporter or did he just tell Chuck?

I saw it somewhere that he officially asked for a trade , I can’t remember where.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Even if they waive it, nobody is trading for Hayes and his long and bloated contract, especially coming off core surgery. We do have a shot at dumping G at the trade deadline to a playoff bound team.Since we are stuck with three overpaid players, Jake, JVR and Hayes , who’s numbers are going to diminish with each season ,there is absolutely no reason to give 29 year old Coots a 6 year $8 million contract. He is our most valuable asset , we can restock the team if we make the right deal. Coots is worth a top prospect a top young roster player and a first. That’s the way to go, with Coots we will be mediocre, without him we will suck, so what’s the difference. Coots is gonna start to break down and will be worthless in three years, don’t make the same mistake we did in holding on to Simmonds. A rebuild is imminent, especially if Risto fails and and our new “old “defenseman gets hurt. Also keep in mind Jake asked for a trade , but nobody wants him, so now we will have a malcontent floater instead of a plain floater to deal with .

Agree 100%. Signing a 29 year old Cooter to a long extension accomplishes nothing. TEAR IT ALL DOWN!! THE CRAPPIER THE BETTER! Sad part is Homer will get fleeced trading Cooter. We all know it. 

Edited by jammer2

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I used to be proud to be a Flyers fan. For decades and decades I knew my team was always in the hunt for the cup. Maybe they'd have a couple years where they were mediocre, but then they'd be right back up there competing for the holy grail of hockey. 

Then Paul Holmgren came along. Sure all the planets aligned that one season and the team with the worst goaltending ever seen in a Stanley Cup final made it that far, only to lose to a team with a slightly less inferior goalie. After a few more years of trading 1st and 2nd and 3rd and 4th round picks for a constant revolving door of guys that used to be good, he was fired....and promoted at the same time. And now he's hired himself as GM again. Well not his actual self, but a clone...a guy who thinks along the same lines and despite his long career as a GM has also never won a f***ing thing! Never! 

So now, instead of a bad year meaning the Flyers will be mediocre, that's now our benchmark. It's what we strive to achieve. Mediocrity! Sell the farm for it! 

So let's rehash ol' Fletchs' track record of trades as the Homer of the Flyers

In

Kevin Hayes and his horrible contract.

One year of 32 year old Matt Niskanen who looked good for the regular season and terrible in the playoffs, but he's from Minnesota

32 year old Justin Braun who cost us a 2nd and a 3rd, but...Minnesota

We got 63 games of Tyler Pitlick, but...Minnesota.

Ryan Ellis... a good player who will be 31 and has an injury history 

Rasmus Ristolainen who's just a terrible hockey player.

A 1st, 2-2nds, 4th, 5th 2-7ths

Out

Nolan Patrick (22)

Phillipe Myers (24)

Shayne Gostisbehere (28)

Radko Gudas (29)

Robert Hagg (26)

Ryan Hartman (24)

Michael Raffl (32)

2-1sts, 4-2nds, 2-3rds, 4th, 2-5ths, 4-7ths

7 draft picks in...15 out.

How did trading young guys and draft picks work out for us under Homer? Cause if Fletcher is allowed to keep going the way he has so far, the next GM will be trying to restock the empty prospect cupboard and buy out all the old washed up used to be good players Fletcher is trading for. 

It's great to be a Flyers fan, innit?

we sucked with these guys, what is it that you dont get? our defense suck, these guys you listed suck. your solution is run this thing back and expect a different result? nothing has changed for 6 years doing that. you dont seem to care about the result, all you care about is these players that got traded personality, all you do is make excuses for them why? where has it gotten us?

fletch is doing this to win to cup is that such a bad thing now? did the 2010 cup finals loss make you lose your winning mentality and just cater to players and picks? this is not a social gathering, it's about competing for a championship.

Edited by tucson83
  • Uggh... 1

Just now, tucson83 said:

we sucked with these guys, what is it that you dont get? our defense suck, these guys you listed suck. your solution is run this thing back and expect a different result? nothing has changed for 6 years doing that. you dont seem to care about the result, all you care about is these players that got traded personality, all you do is make excuses for them why? where has it gotten us?

fletch is doing this to win to cup is that such a bad thing now? did the 2010 cup finals loss make you lose your winning mentality and just cater to players and picks. this is not a social gathering, it's about competing for a championship.

For Christ sakes, Fletcher gave away assets to move the Gostisbehere contract and then gave up asset in a first round pick to acquire the perennially bad Ristolainen. On top of it, this is a team with cap issues in which he's probably going to have to give up additional assets to move those contracts. Can you not see that Fletcher has ZERO plan and that he's just grasping at straws? This is incompetence at its finest. This isn't about building a team to contend for the Stanley Cup. This is about making moves for the sake of making moves. It works be different if they're good moves, but they aren't. Fletcher needs to be **** canned in the worst kind of way. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

There you have it, their (possibly, not sure, but could guess) slipping into senility owner...Ed Snider... knew more about hockey than almost of them in the organization, to this day. Truth is stranger (and often times harder to stomach), than fiction.

Chicago got Jones for a 20YO 8OA defenceman, 2 1sts, and a 2nd.

The Flyers got Ristolainen for (essentially) Hagg, Gotstobethere, 1st, 2 2nds, and a 7th.

Jones reportedly wouldn't commit to signing with the Flyers. Inked an eight year deal with Chicago - a team that hasn't been past the first round in six years and missed the playoffs three of the past four years getting in under the bubble.

Ristolainen says he "could" sign an extension in Philadelphia.

If ol' Fletch is truly "done" with moves the Flyers aren't a joke. They're increasingly irrelevant.

My nieces used to identify me with the Flyers because I *always* had a Flyers hat on.

Haven't worn it in years. Not even sure where it is...

10 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

For Christ sakes, Fletcher gave away assets to move the Gostisbehere contract and then gave up asset in a first round pick to acquire the perennially bad Ristolainen. On top of it, this is a team with cap issues in which he's probably going to have to give up additional assets to move those contracts. Can you not see that Fletcher has ZERO plan and that he's just grasping at straws? This is incompetence at its finest. This isn't about building a team to contend for the Stanley Cup. This is about making moves for the sake of making moves. It works be different if they're good moves, but they aren't. Fletcher needs to be **** canned in the worst kind of way. 

what moves would satisfy you? what great players do you think they would automatically give us?

In order for Chuck to move either JVR or Jake he’s going to have to throw more pics in. They way he’s going the Flyers won’t have a draft pick until 2025.

I am also waiting to see what pile of garbage he can get to back up Hart. Are they still paying Bryz? Maybe he’ll come back :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Lather, Rinse, Repeat

12 hours ago, Samifan said:

Neither.

This is stuff of urban legend. Voracek has NOT asked for a trade.

He did apparently say he was open to a change after Chuckles said they were looking to try to move him.   There is a big difference, though I'm not sure some cinder block heads have the brain matter to comprehend the difference.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tucson83 said:

fletch is doing this to win to cup is that such a bad thing now? did the 2010 cup finals loss make you lose your winning mentality and just cater to players and picks? this is not a social gathering, it's about competing for a championship.

Utter delusion right there. Seriously, disagree with every word.   The past 20 years of what you're advocating for has been a disaster.  The 6 years you're referring to was digging out of this organization's crap and actually building to something. But sadly that was torn down as we moved to pivot and now we have the utterly brain dead tearing it down again and the equally brain dead cheering it on.

Edited by ruxpin

Life long Flyer fan since I was old enough to know what hockey was. Bobby Clarke was my first favorite Flyer. During that time, the Flyers were always competitive and damn tough to play against. This was thier identity. It's what drew such a huge following of fans, especially outside of Philly. It's obvious that identity is over, for a long time. 

I dont have a second favorite team.  I don't live in a geographic area that follows a local team. I love hockey because of the Flyers.  I dont follow it otherwise. Finding another team would have to be a willful choice,  and that doesn't normally translate to real fandom.

Each season I watch fewer and fewer games. No more Center Ice. I feel my interest just eroding away with each off season. And worst of all, I'm not missing it. Mostly because what I loved has been gone, and will not come back. It really is a shame. Flyer fans are the best.  We are being robbed and duped with little we can do about it

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

18 minutes ago, musky said:

You forgot to add how bad under horrible leadership my islanders were for a long,long time,new upper staff can change that around pretty fast

Mike Milbury would like people to know he's still interested in running a hockey team.

Into the ground...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, radoran said:

Mike Milbury would like people to know he's still interested in running a hockey team.

Into the ground...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

at this point i'd take him over anyone currently involved with the Flyers

16 minutes ago, CoachX said:

at this point i'd take him over anyone currently involved with the Flyers

What's Ben Carson doing these days?  I'm sure even a complete imbecile like him could do better.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Utter delusion right there. Seriously, disagree with every word.   The past 20 years of what you're advocating for has been a disaster.  The 6 years you're referring to was digging out of this organization's crap and actually building to something. But sadly that was torn down as we moved to pivot and now we have the utterly brain dead tearing it down again and the equally brain dead cheering it on.

our defense was crap, you actually wanted him to run this thing back and expected something different? like what did you want to fletch do? what moves would have satisfied you?