Game 21: Flyers at Rangers; 12/1/21 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

The Flyers are underdogs (-167).  Statistically, the teams aren't much different, but in terms of W-L, they are:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/game/_/gameId/401349483

Apparently, the Chuckmeister thinks things can be solved internally:

"It's difficult to go to the outside and keep looking for help from the outside," Fletcher said. "You've got to look to the inside. We have good enough players, we're a good enough team, and that's where our focus is."

We shall see.  On a positive note, Hayes may reenter the lineup.  

Part of me wants them to come out and make this a statement game.   A game where it's undeniable that they are changing this season around. 

The other part of me wants them to get trounced 9-1 so that change(s) come faster.  

• Like 1

No matter what the score ends up if they lose playing the same way they did vs. NJ then AV should get fired (Therrien should've been fired a year ago).

When your best player refuses to compete the HC has lost the room. Of course it "the room" might have rejected AV. Either way you can't trade 23 guys so what's left? Fire the coach. Rinse and repeat.

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

We have good enough players, we're a good enough team, and that's where our focus is."

Yeah. "good enough" says it all.

I know I'm pouncing on semantics and maybe that's unfair but I don't like hearing "we're good enough" as an answer to why nothing is changing.

3 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Yeah. "good enough" says it all.

I know I'm pouncing on semantics and maybe that's unfair but I don't like hearing "we're good enough" as an answer to why nothing is changing.

"Good enough" to what?

"Make the playoffs and anything can happen"

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

• Like 2

Exactly. "good enough" to get in...and then ACH. Whoopdeedo! What a brilliant plan.

I'm pretty cynical about the Philadelphia Flyers these days. At least when Snider was running things you knew without a doubt he was Cup-driven. He wanted so much to parade the Cup down Broad Street.

But Comcast? I think it's fair to assume they're not trying to build a championship team they are strictly interested in maximizing profits. In this "next quarter" corporate world we live in it's no surprise.

47 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Part of me wants them to come out and make this a statement game.   A game where it's undeniable that they are changing this season around. 

The other part of me wants them to get trounced 9-1 so that change(s) come faster.  

I'm on board for a blowout loss , clean house , get some young assets and get a good draft pick.  Why be mediocre with overpriced vets, you can do that with young players with small contracts 

• Like 2

Aren't the Rags like 14-4-3 or something?!...

Can we just play the ****** sabres or OTT already!? Jeez!

I can't really remember the last time we played a bottom feeder...I know it's no excuse but man... it's been Wash/Car/FL/Tampa....all power houses lately! Even NJ (who gives us fits anyway) is vastly better than years past!...

Watching Aho play the other night was an eye opener for me....We don't have one of those do we?

Ah, anyway. I haven't given up on this group YET. Heck, hockey is one of the few things to look forward to in these LONG winters up here...

Figures, we get not decent, but in my opinion excellent play from the crease of late, and have NOTHING to support it or show from it. Makes me start to worry about Hart again.....we're gonna "break him" aren't we?!

(Tried my best to end on a positive note....)

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

No matter what the score ends up if they lose playing the same way they did vs. NJ then AV should get fired (Therrien should've been fired a year ago).

When your best player refuses to compete the HC has lost the room. Of course it "the room" might have rejected AV. Either way you can't trade 23 guys so what's left? Fire the coach. Rinse and repeat.

Oh so you are ready for Mike Yeo to take over as head coach then?

You know that is what will happen...

• Uggh... 1

50 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Aren't the Rags like 14-4-3 or something?!...

Can we just play the ****** sabres or OTT already!? Jeez!

I can't really remember the last time we played a bottom feeder...I know it's no excuse but man... it's been Wash/Car/FL/Tampa....all power houses lately! Even NJ (who gives us fits anyway) is vastly better than years past!...

Watching Aho play the other night was an eye opener for me....We don't have one of those do we?

Ah, anyway. I haven't given up on this group YET. Heck, hockey is one of the few things to look forward to in these LONG winters up here...

Figures, we get not decent, but in my opinion excellent play from the crease of late, and have NOTHING to support it or show from it. Makes me start to worry about Hart again.....we're gonna "break him" aren't we?!

(Tried my best to end on a positive note....)

We played the Devils just several days ago... not a true bottom-feeder, but not a power house, either.  And the Flyers managed to get completely embarrassed, which isn't a difficult thing for them to do these days anyway.

I heat you about Aho.  I was at the Carolina game at home last Friday... what a pathetic performance that was.  But man... Aho is a terrific player without a doubt.  When you see him live, you get to realize how good he really is.  Everything about his game is just right.

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Thankfully the USMNT qualifiers have filled in nicely.  EPL and champions league is taking the edge off also.   I'll still watch every flyers game like have the past 20 years but I've stopped taking my yearly trip to PA to watch them.  It's just not worth it the last 4-5 years IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

I think if they get blown out again tonight, the changes are inevitable.  It simply can't continue like this...

Why can't it continue like this?  It's been continuing like this for 10 years, or looked at another way, since 2004-2005.

They fire AV, they don't fire AV, they hire another coach, they trade some players for other players.  These are the kind of moves they have been trying for 10 years.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

We do have a fast Fin with a good shot. Samu Tuomaala

He's a year or two away from North America though.

Played well in the world juniors this year.