Official John Tortorella (Torts) offcially named as Flyers new Head Coach

pilldoc

John Tortorella name new Flyers Head Coach  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Simple Question ..... Do you approve of John Tortorella being name as Flyers Head Coach?

• Yes ...I back the Flyers 100%. This is the coach this team needs.
    • No ... This team has too many other issues that Tortorella can't fix
    • Unsure .... ask me later

58 minutes ago, radoran said:

I don't think the franchise is incapable of it.

I think the current leadership is incapable of it.

And all indications are that that leadership isn't going to change.

"They can do better if they fire CF" is pretty much exactly what @flyercanuck is saying. Except he knows that you know that I know that they know they're not firing Fletcher before next season.

So, then, they have the Hayes Problem, and the Ristolainen problem, and the Problem that Fletcher will likely pursue this offseason and then they fire Fletch and simply have three of his egregious signings on the roster for another 3+ years.

Progress?

They also have a Clarke, Holmgren and Lombardi problem

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

They also have a Clarke, Holmgren and Lombardi problem

Clarke's not at all involved any more, except for when he needs to opine on who the scouts preferred on a draft pick.

I swear, for a guy who was as tough as he was on the ice, he comes off as a petty, brittle, old man off it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, radoran said:

Clarke's not at all involved any more, except for when he needs to opine on who the scouts preferred on a draft pick.

I swear, for a guy who was as tough as he was on the ice, he comes off as a petty, brittle, old man off it.

Dave Scott has repeatedly said he's a huge Bobby Clarke fan and often goes to Clarke for advice. So in going to take that for what it is and that Clarke's opinion still carries significant weight throughout the organization. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Dave Scott has repeatedly said he's a huge Bobby Clarke fan and often goes to Clarke for advice. So in going to take that for what it is and that Clarke's opinion still carries significant weight throughout the organization. 

I agree with you  :thumbsu:

There are those that have asserted that Clarke "isn't involved much anymore".

28 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

He's also said the same regarding Holmgren and Fletcher.  And, to expect him to say differently when there's a microphone in front of him just isn't realistic.  And, none of it means anything about what actually happens behind the closed doors and who are actually making the decisions.

I can assure you that Clarke and Barber are only asked their opinions, as I've said in the past.  They aren't making decisions within the organization any longer.  If they were, Tortorella wouldn't have even been interviewed for the head coaching position.  Those decisions are being made by Holmgren, Lombardi, Fletcher, Flahr and Hanrahan.  And these are the names that need to be completely removed(not promoted in any way) from the organization and replaced.  Believe it if you'd like.  Don't believe it if you'd like.  Doesn't matter either way.  But, these are the words that come out of Clarke and Barber's mouths when asked about this without microphones and press around them.

The entire management and senior advisory groups need to go, regardless of what each does. For far too long, the same people have had rule over this franchise.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

So far I like what Fonzie has to say.

Pretty interesting interview with Taryn Hatcher.

He just blurts it out-  some guys arent going to like his program and the locker room was fractured.

16 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

LOL, I have been living the same nightmare waiting for that Stanley Cup. I feel like Linus sitting in the pumpkin patch waiting for the arrival of The Great 🎃, every year I’m disappointed and every year I come back. I’m a loser

Youre just being REALISTIC! :CelebratingSmiley2:

48 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Now, do you mean that in terms of blowing things up and rebuilding, blowing up management and senior advisors to rebuild the front office or both?

Both.  Nuke it from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

So far I like what Fonzie has to say.

Pretty interesting interview with Taryn Hatcher.

He just blurts it out-  some guys arent going to like his program and the locker room was fractured.

The fact that he mentioned building mental toughness is key, we have said many times on this forum how the team was mentally weak. Considering we have no superstars, we have to build a team with mental fortitude, that comes to play with a total  team effort every night and wins by out working their opponents .

• Like 3

On 6/23/2022 at 4:25 PM, radoran said:

So, then, they have the Hayes Problem, and the Ristolainen problem, and the Problem that Fletcher will likely pursue this offseason and then they fire Fletch and simply have three of his egregious signings on the roster for another 3+ years.

Yep that's the dilemma now: the damage is done. It can't be erased in the market because no GM will want to take on either of those 2 foolish contracts (RR and KH). But who's the 3rd?

• Like 1

I'm still waiting to see who the assistants will be. Hopefully (and Tortorella seems to be a smart guy) they identify some AHL coaches that are ready for the next level. Ryan Warsofsky from the Chicago Wolves should be a guy they target. Two years in a row, 50+ wins, just win the Calder Cup and has experience running special teams. Of course, I'm on the Benoit Groulx bandwagon and believe he'd be a great fit from a development standpoint. A new goaltending coach is a must. If they could poach Mitch Korn, that would be ideal. However, Dave Rook, the goaltending coach from the Milwaukee Admirals, would be a great choice if they can't poach Korn.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I know absolutely nothing about him ......

From Wiki.

Coaching career[edit]

Tampa Bay Lightning[edit]

Shaw was named an assistant coach of the Tampa Bay Lightning for the 1999-2000 season, working under head coach Steve Ludzik. The rebuilding club struggled to a 19-47–9–7 record, missing the playoffs. Shaw resigned from the position after only one season.

Detroit Vipers[edit]

Shaw joined the Detroit Vipers of the IHL as head coach of the team for the 2000-01 season. In his only season with the team, Detroit struggled to a 23–53–6 record, missing the playoffs. The league folded after the season.

Springfield Falcons[edit]

Shaw joined the Springfield Falcons of the AHL as an assistant coach, working under head coach Marc Potvin. Former Ottawa Senators teammate Norm Maciver was also an assistant coach. In his only season with the club, Springfield missed the playoffs with a 35–41–2–2 record.

Cincinnati Mighty Ducks[edit]

Shaw was named head coach of the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks of the AHL for the 2002–03 season, replacing Mike Babcock, who was promoted to the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. In his first season with the Mighty Ducks, the club struggled to a 26–35–13–6 record, failing to make the post-season.

Shaw returned to the team for the 2003-04 season, as Cincinnati struggled to a 29–37–13–1 record. The Mighty Ducks defeated the Houston Aeros in the qualifying round, defeating the Aeros two games to none, to earn a playoff berth. In the first round of the Calder Cup playoffs, the Mighty Ducks nearly defeated the heavily-favoured Milwaukee Admirals, as they held a 3–2 series lead before losing the final two games to be eliminated.

Cincinnati improved during the 2004–05 season, as the team finished the season with a 44–31–1-4 record, making the playoffs. In the post-season, the Mighty Ducks got their revenge against the Milwaukee Admirals, defeating them in the first round. The Mighty Ducks lost to the Chicago Wolves in the second round.

New York Islanders[edit]

Shaw joined the New York Islanders of the NHL as an assistant coach under Steve Stirling for the 2005–06 season. After the Islanders struggled to an 18–22–2 record to start the season, the club fired Stirling, and named Shaw his replacement for the remainder of the season. Shaw won his first career game as a head coach, as the Islanders defeated the Calgary Flames 3–2 on January 12, 2006. Under Shaw, the Islanders posted an 18–18–4 record, and failed to qualify for the post-season. Shaw was relieved of his duties after the season.

St. Louis Blues[edit]

Shaw joined the St. Louis Blues in 2006–07 as an assistant coach under Mike Kitchen. Kitchen was replaced shortly into the season by Andy Murray, however, Shaw remained with the team. Shaw remained with St. Louis for 10 years, as an assistant coach under Andy Murray, Davis Payne and Ken Hitchcock.

Columbus Blue Jackets[edit]

Shaw joined John Tortorella's staff with the Columbus Blue Jackets in June 2016, replacing Craig Hartsburg, who retired following the 2015-16 season.

Vancouver Canucks[edit]

Shaw was announced as an assistant coach of the Vancouver Canucks in June 2021, replacing Newell Brown.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Thanks 1