Connor Bedard

Fizz

He's by far the best player in the tournament....and he's 17. Canada has a good team, but he's put them on his back and carried them to where they are. 

The Flyers, of course, will end up picking in the 4-8 range...enough to get a good player, but not a star. I'm not saying you can't get one there.

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Can't wait to see him lacing them up for the Mighty Ducks or the Coyotes!

Awesome places for generational talent.

I figured Blackhawks are due with their aging stars...he helped them get Kane last time by bending the Flyers over why not now?

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Edited by OccamsRazor
#bourbonup
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fizz said:

This kid is special, I hope the Flyers don't win another game all year. I want to see him in a Flyer uniform.

Should be a hell of a game Wendsday.

You want to see a creative offensive player learning the ropes under Tortorella?

Bedard is going to need major adjustments to his game at NHL level and Torts is exactly the kind of coach who would bench him for creativity. He can do it. His shot is beyond elite and his vision and passing are also elite. But he is 5 foot 9 and isn't going to be going through NHL level defenders like this right off the bat.

If he can land on PP1 for whatever team he lands on and get icetime, maybe 50-60 points his rookie season. I think its going to take a few years before he is elite and hope he can grow another inch or 2(Doubtful)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

You want to see a creative offensive player learning the ropes under Tortorella?

Bedard is going to need major adjustments to his game at NHL level and Torts is exactly the kind of coach who would bench him for creativity. He can do it. His shot is beyond elite and his vision and passing are also elite. But he is 5 foot 9 and isn't going to be going through NHL level defenders like this right off the bat.

If he can land on PP1 for whatever team he lands on and get icetime, maybe 50-60 points his rookie season. I think its going to take a few years before he is elite and hope he can grow another inch or 2(Doubtful)

The way I see it is Fletcher gets fired halfway through this season. The new GM fires Torts and brings in his own HC.

When you have his hockey sense and talent 5'9" is enough. But I agree it will take him a couple years to adjust to the NHL game, but remember the kid is only 17.

Edited by Fizz

Ok, I'm on my 4th pint of an excellent double New England IPA with flavors of mango and peaches from the "Brasseurs du Monde", so I'm asking for your tolerance and comprehensiveness. Let's see this in these possibilities:

Assumption #1: Oilers fail to reach the postseason AND win the lottery.

This will lead in a reminiscence of the Oilers' decade story for the reach of the Stanley Cup. So there are two options there:

1.1: Bedard turns to be the next Nail Yakupov and they lose him for nothing with Bedard going to play somewhere near the Kamtchatka region and ask for mercy, or;

1.2: The Oilers trade him in Tampa Bay for Erik Cernak and a conditional sixth, which opens the door to an additional 15 years of sucking at every level for the Oil.

Assumption #2: Chicago finish dead last and won the lottery.

Nah, screw that! The Hawks already had their dynasty in the 2010s, they deserve to rot for 10+ years in the basement. On the other hand, I'd love to hate them and hate Bedard for their next success.

Assumption #3: Arizona, here we go.

I'd LOVE that. With their 34 first round choices, The Coyotes build a dynasty, won the next three Stanley Cups while having their new facility in Tempe and Gary Bettman makes a special tour in Canada from Vancouver to St. John Newfoundland, showing his butt and yelling: "See mo*****ckers, Told you it will be successful!!"

Assumption #4: Anaheim got it!

Nooooo, sounds like a bad remake of a ****** movie coming straight from the early 1990s...

Assumption #5: whatever other team who won the lottery

And they say: "screw that, he's a bust, let's take another random guy" in a very Wrightesque way.

28 minutes ago, Math said:

Ok, I'm on my 4th pint of an excellent double New England IPA with flavors of mango and peaches from the "Brasseurs du Monde", so I'm asking for your tolerance and comprehensiveness. Let's see this in these possibilities:

Assumption #1: Oilers fail to reach the postseason AND win the lottery.

This will lead in a reminiscence of the Oilers' decade story for the reach of the Stanley Cup. So there are two options there:

1.1: Bedard turns to be the next Nail Yakupov and they lose him for nothing with Bedard going to play somewhere near the Kamtchatka region and ask for mercy, or;

1.2: The Oilers trade him in Tampa Bay for Erik Cernak and a conditional sixth, which opens the door to an additional 15 years of sucking at every level for the Oil.

Assumption #2: Chicago finish dead last and won the lottery.

Nah, screw that! The Hawks already had their dynasty in the 2010s, they deserve to rot for 10+ years in the basement. On the other hand, I'd love to hate them and hate Bedard for their next success.

Assumption #3: Arizona, here we go.

I'd LOVE that. With their 34 first round choices, The Coyotes build a dynasty, won the next three Stanley Cups while having their new facility in Tempe and Gary Bettman makes a special tour in Canada from Vancouver to St. John Newfoundland, showing his butt and yelling: "See mo*****ckers, Told you it will be successful!!"

Assumption #4: Anaheim got it!

Nooooo, sounds like a bad remake of a ****** movie coming straight from the early 1990s...

Assumption #5: whatever other team who won the lottery

And they say: "screw that, he's a bust, let's take another random guy" in a very Wrightesque way.

Are you sure you are only on your 4th pint? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Bedard may not be great in his own end, but he's pretty good on the backcheck. There's a lot worse players out there defensively (as a Flyers fan I can name 10 on my team, including defencemen)

But I really don't expect him to land in Philly.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 6:40 PM, J0e Th0rnton said:

You don't pay Bedard or Gretzky or Lemieux to play in his own end. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 6:40 PM, J0e Th0rnton said:

Bedard is going to need major adjustments to his game at NHL level and Torts is exactly the kind of coach who would bench him for creativity.

I don't think so.

After coaching a roster mostly devoid of creative playmakers, I'll bet he encourages it.

Right now, in his pressers Torts is all about, "I don't care about mistakes if the player is trying to make a play". 

If he's said it once he's said it 10 times.

Also, the way he talks about Travis Konecney makes me think he would be fine coaching someone far more talented. 

I think should a miracle occur and the Flyers pick Connor, Fonzie tells him, "you backcheck like you did in juniors and we'll be fine".  

Please no Montréal, Chicago or Anaheim (yeah, lots of ifs)

I'm not sure though, is there a rule in the lottery preveting a team to pick 1st overall two years in a row? Or does it just decrease the odds? 

23 minutes ago, Math said:

Please no Montréal, Chicago or Anaheim (yeah, lots of ifs)

I'm not sure though, is there a rule in the lottery preveting a team to pick 1st overall two years in a row? Or does it just decrease the odds? 

The odds of winning are lowered, aka The Edmonton Oilers lottery rule.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...