New Flyers Sweaters as Part of the "Re-Brand"?

Link to the actual article for those interested.
Flyers Reach Back Through Time for New Uniforms and Colours in 2023-24 – SportsLogos.Net News

964215106_fLYERSUNIS.jpg.a9cd627479a00036b3e04f4dfd2f3e52.jpg

Thought fans here might find this interesting.
Seems along with some of the house cleaning going on, the Flyers are also looking to aesthetically change the product on the ice by going back to the shade of orange used in the rough n tumble 80's and uniform designs and lines that fit that mold as well.

These aren't final yet, but I understand whatever the final product is, will be very close to those former 'hard ass' teams of the past.

Obviously, the team still needs better higher end players in order to truly change the culture there, but I thought this was a nice way to try and put certain things in the rearview and attempt to go back to what was always considered "Flyers Hockey"...at least visually.

From my TB Lightning point of view, I could learn to hate your team once again, as THESE are the colors and sweater types that terrorized my little scrappy 90's Lightning teams way back when ;) 

For those that might not understand (I doubt it, many of you are long time fans and know very well what is going on), being "hated" by other fanbases can be a good thing.....becasue it means they find you threatening and don't want THEIR team facing you in any sort of playoff scenarios.

Bolts were liked by many for a long time. Two straight Cup wins later, I have found many who despise the Lightning. Yay for me!  :bigteeth: 

But anyways....this is only a cosmetic change for Philadelphia, sure, but if it goes hand in hand with changing out the faces and thought processes of the current front office, AND Philly goes and and starts getting better players to wear these new unis, then, if I am a Fly fan, I am liking this overhaul.
It would definitely be worth other fans 'hating' the team once again!

Discuss.

• Like 2

actually i wanted this to happen and love it, i mean 90s and 00s jerseys they were awesome and i think it's the main reason why we played so well with those. i guess jersey designs bring out the best in players, ever since we went back to the old style jerseys, i think that's when everything started to fall apart, i cant speak for the players, i got a feeling that players feel attached to certain designs that brings out the best in them.

Orange Black and White is a great color scheme.

Two things for me; One, let's bring back the home teams wearing the white sweater. 

Two, I would actually like to see a new design. Going retro to the early days mmm  okay. But now doing it again to the middle days ? **** seems played out. 

What about hiring an actual design team to make something new?

I like the flying P, it's a strong logo- there is sooo much that could be done around that.  Yet, we're getting Oh the 90's teams didn't suck, let's cop that look.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

actually i wanted this to happen and love it, i mean 90s and 00s jerseys they were awesome and i think it's the main reason why we played so well with those. i guess jersey designs bring out the best in players, ever since we went back to the old style jerseys, i think that's when everything started to fall apart, i cant speak for the players, i got a feeling that players feel attached to certain designs that brings out the best in them.

the 80s/90s is my favorite jersey Flyers of all time, but does anyone remember the 70's team was the toughest Flyer team of all time and coincidentally, won two cups, wearing essentially the same style they have currently :shakeshead:

• Like 2

IMO I wouldn't change much, except for the orange shade. The logo is iconic and sharp, untouchable. I also like the thin orange stripe on the sleeves and the reversed nameplate: it's unique to the Flyers. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Orange Black and White is a great color scheme.

Two things for me; One, let's bring back the home teams wearing the white sweater. 

Two, I would actually like to see a new design. Going retro to the early days mmm  okay. But now doing it again to the middle days ? **** seems played out. 

What about hiring an actual design team to make something new?

I like the flying P, it's a strong logo- there is sooo much that could be done around that.  Yet, we're getting Oh the 90's teams didn't suck, let's cop that look.

totally agree...all points

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

being "hated" by other fanbases can be a good thing

Being hated is vastly better than being irrelevant--which the Flyers currently are.   I like hated.  And I like having a team (if I remember correctly) that was hated enough that it caused some emotion in games and made you actually hate other teams.  Now?  I could care less about either team playing in the WFC.   It's just people skating around for a couple of hours.    BRING THE HATE!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

2023/24 Flyers slogan?

LOL  Maybe the year after.   Flyers fans are still surly and probably still will be next season.   Can you imagine telling a bunch of angry Philadelphians to "bring the hate?"   Santa Claus will melt himself.

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

LOL  Maybe the year after.   Flyers fans are still surly and probably still will be next season.   Can you imagine telling a bunch of angry Philadelphians to "bring the hate?"   Santa Claus will melt himself.

maybe so, but the arena would be sold out again....and I would watch

As if the shade of orange fundamentally affects the direction of an organization and/or the way a player plays the game... 🤔

But I digress...

If they are going to attempt to reshape the organization this off-season, then waiting for the "big reveal" about the costumes might have been more effective later in the summer.

At the moment, there is something of a "lipstick/pig" relationship.

Which is, at the very least, a step up from the "rearranging deck chairs" relationship of recent years.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

It would definitely be worth other fans 'hating' the team once again!

Discuss.

Hey, if lightening the color a few shades happens to piss off other teams and their fans, I'm all for it. 😏

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cheesesteak said:

Hey, if lightening the color a few shades happens to piss off other teams and their fans, I'm all for it. 😏

You know what would piss off other teams and fans?  Beating them.

Including before you're eliminated from playoff contention. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

This would only last as long as it takes for the opposition to realize the players in the scary colors were worthless

In other words, the first shift of the game

The reason the Flyers were hated and FEARED, was because they were going to beat the hell out of you every game. It was more the team made the colors intimidating, not the other way around

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jammer2 said:

How about drafting a Rick Tocchet clone to put inside the retro jersey??

Ladies and gentlemen,  a round of applause👏. A genius has just entered the conversation

If possible, I would buy you a drink

• Like 2

15 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Including before you're eliminated from playoff contention. 

But that is hard. I'd rather wait till 2 weeks left in the season and it won't be as taxing on the players and well easier to plan where they are golfing.