UFA , should Flyers ?

phlfly

None really they still have prospects and spot to fill with their own kids.

In

Forester

Zamula

Lycksell

Desnoyers

Attard

Andrea

Brink

6 roster spots that need freeing up.

Out

JVR

Hayes

TDA

Atkinson

Risto

All need room now or very soon.

So they still need room by my math.

Really no need to add anyone unless it is before camp maybe on a PTO but that is it unless of course it comes by way of huge deal to remove a few guys then depending on who it is before i can sign off on adding anyone just doesn't have to be done now.

This team does not need to add anyone over the age of 30, probably not over the age of 25.

They have their "Flyer way" guys in @CoachX's pet Laughts and good ol' Coots.

They have the "Torts way" guy in ol' Ats.

Likely should be picking top half for the next two years.

Those high 2nds can be real valuable if you use them right. :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

4 hours ago, phlfly said:

I know that is not making sense but it might a good idea add some UFA player to boost moral in a team 

Screenshot_20230525_130836_Facebook.jpg

Let's see....No, no , no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no...hell no, no.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phlfly said:

Patrick Kane at 3 mil?

LOL ….. he is NOT signing for 3 million lets get that straight. He wants one more go around to try to win a cup. There is NO way he is going to a team who is completely irrelevant at this point……

• Like 1

yes its true . well 5 mil 3 years. My problem with all "new" Flyers management, coaching and team is looked all ok in office but not on ice, meaning it needs a several leader players up front and back that can make difference. Now, even you can bring most best draft pick into Flyers it all be failure 100% why because guys are looking each other and they know some too young to say, other just not leaders. 

Why do I say that? My son playing travel hockey for Xtreme for long time and I seen all that all over . There is no difference between pro or A/AA/AAA players, mental is same, as they are all young. 

On 5/25/2023 at 9:11 PM, phlfly said:

even you can bring most best draft pick into Flyers it all be failure 100% why because guys are looking each other and they know some too young to say, other just not leaders. 

There is a time to do that in this process.

Now is not that time.

They don't need a Kane (or a Corey Perry) to lift them into the playoffs. They're not expecting to make the playoffs.

And neither of those players should be interested in playing here anyway.

The organization* has finally embraced "two years away from being two years away" and we'll see if they stick to the plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

good to see you've caught up... 🙃

I've been caught up for about 37 years now.

Checking if a Matthews is available - something I've been clear I don't think will happen - is different than signing Vincetrick LeKanevaliere for multiple years "as a veteran presence."

A Matthews might be the start of a core that could need that veteran presence, but neither of those guys are "it" and even with a Matthews trade (again, which is not happening) next year is not "when."

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

The long and short answer is NOOOOOO! The only one of these players (IF he wanted 4 mil, and not 7.5 mil, which won't happen) that I would even slightly CONSIDER..is O'Reilly. They could use another strong center for draws but not at what O'Reilly is going to want, salary-wise and years of his contract, at his age. The team needs to be built..over the long haul..by the draft and the organization's current AHL and etc.. prospects, and then continue to fill in the rest of the roster, with low cost/high potential reward free agents and good or better, trades. Briere has to do a better job (he can't do a worse job) than Fletcher did, at finding "diamonds in the rough" and making trades. 

Edited by FD19372

-The Flyers should not be in on any of these players or anybody else who's UFA age.

-The silver lining: unless it's a grotesque over-pay, those players don't want to sign up for a rebuild, so there's not much to worry about, anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FD19372 said:

The long and short answer is NOOOOOO! The only one of these players (IF he wanted 4 mil, and not 7.5 mil, which won't happen) that I would even slightly CONSIDER..is O'Reilly.

Disagree ...Flyers need to stay young ...no need for an aging player in ROR.

• Like 2

Nope. At this point if I was them I'm only looking at low priced guys, underpaid guys, who might be able to fill a few holes in the roster as we develop kids. Example, Conor Clifton from Boston, Currently makes a low million. Basically a smaller Risto or a low priced Gudas. Better defensively than DeAngelo by far. Just an example. The point is no big money FAs. 

One caveat to that, if they somehow managed to shed Hayes, Atkinson, Coots, well then the cap is all different so maybe then and only then you could look at an FA but even then, I'd be reluctant to go down that pathway. 

We already have a bunch of old overpaid guys that we are stuck with who can provide leadership ,like Atkinson and Coots for example. They are at least good players who aren’t quitters even if their best days are over. No need to sign anyone.

On 5/29/2023 at 4:23 PM, RonJeremy said:

We already have a bunch of old overpaid guys that we are stuck with who can provide leadership ,like Atkinson and Coots for example. They are at least good players who aren’t quitters even if their best days are over. No need to sign anyone.

Amen to that. Subtraction is the key this summer whatever Briere can do getting rid of dead weight will be a huge plus. Forget the UFAs for awhile there’s plenty of kids who may make the grade already in the Flyers system. This time we’re supposed to be “doing it right” and imho that mostly means subtract expensive veteran players and go with whatever homegrown talent is there.