OFFICIAL: Flyers trade for Massimo Rizzo for 2025 5th RD from Hurricanes

CoachX

Huh so the trade that leaked and was retracted has finally went down.

About time.

For the rights to Kase I think they want him so they lure his brother back to the Canes so they can play together I bet.

• Like 1

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/flyers-acquire-massimo-rizzo-draft-pick-trade-with-hurricanes/531873/

The Flyers took over the rights to college prospect Massimo Rizzo and acquired a 2025 fifth-round draft pick in a trade Wednesday with the Hurricanes. In exchange, they sent Carolina the rights to forward David Kase.

General manager Danny Briere had reportedly been negotiating a trade with the Hurricanes since June. The deal was revolving around Tony DeAngelo, but it never went through. The Flyers then placed the defenseman on unconditional waivers in July and he was signed by Carolina 10 days later to a one-year, $1.675 million contract.

Rizzo, a 22-year-old center, led Denver in scoring last season as a sophomore with 46 points (17 goals, 29 assists) over 38 games. He had a plus-24 rating for the Pioneers, who went 30-10-0 and lost to Cornell in the first round of the NCAA tournament. The previous season, Rizzo won a national championship with Denver alongside Flyers prospect Bobby Brink.

The 5-foot-11, 175-pounder was a seventh-round draft pick of the Hurricanes in 2019. We'll see if Rizzo returns to the Pioneers this season or if the Flyers want to sign him to an entry-level contract.

Edited by pilldoc

• pilldoc changed the title to OFFICIAL: Flyers trade for Massimo Rizzo for 2025 5th RD from Hurricanes

I guess this makes up for the botched trade earlier last month. .....  Sheesh.

image.png.65e60494e2d1fb373dbea54eb0a38932.png

May 2023 – Rizzo took his game to another level this year for the University of Denver (NCAA), where he took home a national championship last year as a rookie. Several of Denver’s top scorers, including Bobby Brink (PHI), moved on over the offseason, so the organization needed players to step up internally and Rizzo answered the call. He led the team with 46 points in 38 games, nine more than second-place Cartur Mazur (DET) who played triggerman to Rizzo’s inspired passing.

Taken 216th overall in the 2019 NHL entry draft, he will need to continue improving his skating, and may choose to return to Denver for a third year before turning pro. Watch his development closely as he has silky hands and a penchant for creative playmaking, though only an average skater. Top-six upside potential but might be a long wait.

image.png.9017395c1cda24be4a9fcf00407f2873.png

Carolina is a treasure to follow.  They do whatever they want and troll expertly.  From the Aho Twitter stuff, to the Kotkaniemi OL, to signed DeAngelo at essentially his BO cost and now giving away Rizzo anyway...Carolina are great entertainment even outside the game

Edited by hmc687
  • Like 1

This seems OK for the O and B.  At this stage, they can keep stockpiling and hope that like spaghetti against the wall, or insects on the flypaper....something sticks.  If nothing else, there's going to be competition for jobs.  That's good.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

I see no downside here. So it's a good trade, and yes, also, JVR is gone. 

I am shocked Danny got Rizzo and a 5th.

Nice return on a guy who was even in the same country as the Flyers.

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

Pretty sure this is Carolinas GMs way of not burning a bridge in regards to future deals with Briere. Pretty obvious the Flyers got the short end of the stick on the TDA trade and this trade shows Danny some respect. Kinda cool if you ask me. 

You may be on to something.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Pretty sure this is Carolinas GMs way of not burning a bridge in regards to future deals with Briere. Pretty obvious the Flyers got the short end of the stick on the TDA trade and this trade shows Danny some respect. Kinda cool if you ask me. 

I was going to type something similar. I think this is likely. Good faith between GMs and building relationships rather than animosity. 

This sort of thing is why you don't see a lot of offer sheets out there. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...