Michkov Updates .......

pilldoc

58 minutes ago, Math said:

Holy smoke, back to the 1980s where Russians, Czechs and other players from the wrong side of the iron curtain had to defect and seek asylum in the west at a high risk level.

It's a matter of emergency that these prospects manage to get the f*** outta there as soon as possible, for their own safety.

Somebody just needs to "literally" give Putin some of his own medicine! ☠️

I don't fault Briere and Company for swinging for the fences.  But even they must have realized that politics will trump (no pun) IIHF rules, which is what we saw with Fedotov.  The Russians are responding to our economic sanctions by withholding their talent.  I agree with Rux--this should be no surprise.  I wonder how many Russian or allies we will draft in the future?  Belarus is pseudo-independent of Moscow.  I bet they hold Kolosov from coming over.  

I gave a MM a 50% chance of wearing our uniform down the road.  Now I am at .33.  

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I believe he will be coming over sooner than later mostly i can tell he wants to come over he wants out and into the limelight.

Hope so.  But No one really knows how much influence Michkov has in this situation.

• Like 3

So this an agent, right?

On Russian TV saying...must keep Russian players in Russia longer.

There hasn't been an edict from the dictator, no communication with the IHF, nothing official. 

An interview from Shumi Babev or whoever....likely equal to Ryan Ballard in Canada, a player agent...

We'll see what happens. Just cause a guy went on state TV and parroted some propaganda, I'm not getting my knickers in a twist over this. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

So this an agent, right?

On Russian TV saying...must keep Russian players in Russia longer.

There hasn't been an edict from the dictator, no communication with the IHF, nothing official. 

An interview from Shumi Babev or whoever....likely equal to Ryan Ballard in Canada, a player agent...

We'll see what happens. Just cause a guy went on state TV and parroted some propaganda, I'm not getting my knickers in a twist over this. 

Regardless i think Danny Jones has a plan. We'll just have to wait to see it unfold.

• Like 1

At what point does he cease to be Flyers "property?"  If I understand correctly, at age 24, draft rights expire without a contract:

https://internationalhockey.net/nhl-draft-rules-what-happens-if-a-player-doesnt-sign/

MM turned 19 on December 9th. If this agent's assertion is anywhere close to the truth, or Putin doesn't relent, or whatever, the debate becomes moot in 2028.  

Fans and management might be well served if they think of MM as "icing on the cake" we might acquire, but plan otherwise.  If I were Flyers management, there wouldn't be any picks from the Russian Federation or Belarus, and even trading for those players may be high risk.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Howie58 said:

At what point does he cease to be Flyers "property?"  If I understand correctly, at age 24, draft rights expire without a contract:

Pretty sure the least the league will do is toll that deadline based on the situation.

We don't know until it happens of course but that seems likely.

18 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I understand the skepticism but it's either true or it isn't. If it isn't you have to wonder why he would just make it up. How does that help him or his player(s)? 

But I agree completely with the shrug/who cares spirit of your post. This doesn't change a thing. Everyone knew it was a risk taking Michkov. This guy spouting off on Russian TV doesn't qualify even as a bump in the road.

I love the attitude the Flyers showed taking Michkov. It was a ballsy, risky pick and that's part of what it takes to build a champion.

• Like 2

They'll work out a deal. The NHL would be foolish to not try to get the best players on the world to come over and Russia would be foolish to not accept American money and also knowing that these are going to come back home with millions of American dollars in their pockets. This is 100% about money.

7 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

They'll work out a deal. The NHL would be foolish to not try to get the best players on the world to come over and Russia would be foolish to not accept American money and also knowing that these are going to come back home with millions of American dollars in their pockets. This is 100% about money.

If it's true, I would say it's 100% about Putins giant ego trip. Putin doesn't need money, he may well be the richest man in the world. 

I'm not going to worry about it until it actually happens. And I have no problem, at all, about Philly taking Michkov. We NEED players like him. Not more so so talents. When one is available, you jump all over it.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2023 at 4:47 PM, flyercanuck said:

Somebody just needs to "literally" give Putin some of his own medicine! ☠️

Are there any kind of International tournaments coming up next season where Michkov will be in Europe and we can smuggle him back to Philly?

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Are there any kind of International tournaments coming up next season where Michkov will be in Europe and we can smuggle him back to Philly?

Russia is currently banned from pretty much everything sports-wise. Unless it's with Belarus, North Korea or China, which pretty much says it all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Russia is currently banned from pretty much everything sports-wise. Unless it's with Belarus, North Korea or China, which pretty much says it all. 

Boy the IIHF is really showing Russian hockey a thing or two. Conveniently blame hockey players who have no say in global politics.

On 12/26/2023 at 3:47 PM, Math said:

Holy smoke, back to the 1980s where Russians, Czechs and other players from the wrong side of the iron curtain had to defect and seek asylum in the west at a high risk level.

It's a matter of emergency that these prospects manage to get the f*** outta there as soon as possible, for their own safety.

Its the prospect...but just as important, their immediate family. They will pay the price for th  player fleeing. Either murder or jail...punishing or killing loved ones is a sick but effective deterrent. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Wonder what Jimmy Devallano's son is doing these days? Did Jimmy pass on the secret Russian smuggling secrets that freed Federov?!

We gotta do something,  three years is more than long enough.  Let's face it , things are gonna get worse with Russia, so smuggling him out may be the only option. They didnt honor Fedetovs deal with the Flyers , so we shouldn't honor theirs,  if we can smuggle him and his family out.

• Like 1