Sources confirm NHL players facing charges in sexual assault investigation

JR Ewing

57 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

In my college journalism courses if you made a fact error, your grade was an F. No matter what. Our profs circled the error stopped reading, got the largest  red marker available in 1990 and drew that sucker at least 8 x 8, so when the work was returned your peers knew you had ****ed up.

It really only took one occurrence to learn the lesson.

That experience still shapes my formal writing today.

I wonder if that article's author had formal training?

Funny how that works, eh? There's a shameful amount of articles which make it on to what one should think are legitimate outlets which have obviously not had the even the slightest amount of editing and, in this case, a key fact which is woefully incorrect. Sexual assault is a serious crime at any age, but the difference between a victim being underage or not is a pretty big deal, and The Hockey News couldn't get that much correct.

I'm just waiting for the media outlets which will be all AI, save for a human editor.

• Like 4

There was a 16 year intoxicated girl raped by Ben Johnson of the Windsor Spitfires in a bathroom stall. They were both underage in a bar. The NJD dropped his contract when he was charged and he was found guilty. 

NHL players Carter Hart of the Philadelphia Flyers, Michael McLeod and Cal Foote of the New Jersey Devils and Dillon Dube of the Calgary Flames have been charged with sexual assault in connection with an alleged assault by several members of Canada’s 2018 World Junior team.

Attorneys representing Hart, McLeod, Foote and Dube said Tuesday that each player has been charged with sexual assault by police in London, Ont. They denied any wrongdoing on behalf of their clients.

Hart's lawyers, Megan Savard and Riaz Sayani, said their client is facing one count of sexual assault, adding, “He is innocent and will provide a full response to this false accusation in the proper forum, a court of law.”

Legal teams representing McLeod and Dube said the players would be pleading not guilty.

“[We] will vigorously defend the case,” McLeod's attorneys, David Humphrey and Seth Weinstein, said in a statement. "We ask that the public respect Mr. McLeod’s privacy, and his family’s privacy. Because the matter is now before the court, we will not comment further at this time.”

Dube's lawyers, Louis Strezos and Kayleigh Davidson, said their client “maintains his innocence [and] will defend the allegations in court.”

Foote's lawyer, Julianna Greenspan, said her client was “innocent of the charge and will defend himself against this allegation to clear his name.”

“What is most critical at this time is the presumption of innocence, and the right to a fair trial that everyone in Canada is entitled to,” Greenspan said in a statement emailed to The Associated Press. “As the matter is before the court, I ask that Cal’s and his family’s privacy be respected.”

A Devils spokesperson said the organization is aware of the reports and have been told to refer all inquiries to the league. A Flyers spokesman echoed a similar sentiment, saying the team “will respond appropriately to this very serious matter when the outcomes of the investigations are made public.”

“We have now become aware of the charge of sexual assault that has been laid against Dillon Dube,” the Flames said in a statement. “We take this matter very seriously. Because the matter is now pending legal proceedings, we will have no further comment at this time.”

The NHL was not expected to address the situation Tuesday. Commissioner Gary Bettman is set to speak at the league’s upcoming All-Star Weekend.

The latest developments in the case come two days after former NHL player Alex Formenton surrendered to police to face charges. Attorney Daniel Brown said Formenton is innocent "and asks that people not rush to judgment without hearing all of the evidence.”

All five players have taken leave from their current clubs over the past 10 days. Their agents have not spoken publicly since.

London police have scheduled a news conference for Monday to address the situation. A spokesperson for police told the AP by email no updates on the investigation will be provided before the news conference.

London police launched their investigation in 2022 after it was disclosed that Hockey Canada had settled a lawsuit with a woman who said she was sexually assaulted by eight members of that gold medal-winning team after a Hockey Canada Foundation fundraising gala. London is approximately halfway between Toronto and Detroit.

According to court documents, the woman, then 20, alleged that a man, identified only as “John Doe #1,” took her from a bar to a hotel room and invited seven other people into the room to perform undisclosed sexual acts, intimidating her and preventing her from leaving. The woman said in the lawsuit the men directed her to take a shower and asked her to say on video that she was sober.

The woman sought $3.55 million in damages and dropped the lawsuit after reaching a settlement with Hockey Canada.

The NHL opened its own investigation in 2022 and has pledged to make those findings public. Deputy commissioner Bill Daly last week said the league would issue a statement if and when it is appropriate.

The Flyers said Hart requested and was granted a leave of absence for personal reasons. General manager Daniel Briere declined to provide details when asked follow-up questions related to the 25-year-old No. 1 goaltender’s departure.

The Devils did not give a reason when announcing McLeod and Foote were granted indefinite leaves of absence. McLeod, who turns 26 on Saturday, is in the middle of his fourth full season with the team, while Foote — son of former NHL player Adam Foote — has spent much of this season in the American Hockey League and appeared in four games for New Jersey.

The Flames said Dube was on indefinite leave to tend to his mental health. As part of their statement Tuesday, they said they “had no knowledge of pending charges at the time Dillon’s request for a leave of absence was granted.”

The 25-year-old Dube has played for Calgary since 2018.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/five-2018-wjc-players-to-plead-not-guilty-maintain-innocence-lawyers-1.2069655

18 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

it's being handled, for the most part, by a bunch of monkeys whose primary goal seems to be, "Look at me....I found this story first....I'll worry about the facts later,

You kind of need to know who's running the whole show and their motivations to understand where it's going and where it's been.

It's not necessarily hockey related, but it is a thing...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Business' influence over the news has been terrible for news.

Of course we all know that producing “the news” has always been contentious and controversial even before the accountants get their mitts on it. And there’s no denying the influence of profit-seeking in a news department all but guarantees a degraded, if not a corrupt product.

But to see THN make such an egregious error, one that could’ve been easily verified, there’s no excuse for that I don’t care how much pressure the department is under. And to think there was a time when I couldn’t wait until the next issue…hopefully they’ve printed a retraction at least.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

There's winning the scoop, there is the misguided notion that both sides of every argument need to be treated equally.

Additionally, having the comments section of a well-researched and source vetted article directly below that article lessens the value of the reporting.

I'll explain it this way...

If Joe Rando from Phoenixville's comments are taken in at the same time as the article written by say Ronan Farrow, Farrow's story will likely have less impact thanks to whatever nonsense Joe Rando spews about what they heard too.

It's the same argument we've seen about cigarettes being bad for you and climate change over the years.

4 out of 5 dentists say one thing, but we'll give that 1 dentist equal time as the other four.

Business' influence over the news has been terrible for news.

This.  1000x this.  Completely, absolutely this.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

This.  1000x this.  Completely, absolutely this.

All aboard with this as well. Not to mention that the social media environment contribute to feed the devil and make things worse and out of control. That's why I truly despise the Facebook, X, Instagram and TikTok of this world and I think these platforms are really toxic for the humanity in general.

(Did I mention AI? Let's let the scariest for later...)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Math said:

All aboard with this as well. Not to mention that the social media environment contribute to feed the devil and make things worse and out of control. That's why I truly despise the Facebook, X, Instagram and TikTok of this world and I think these platforms are really toxic for the humanity in general.

(Did I mention AI? Let's let the scariest for later...)

Social media is the lead paint of our age.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Math said:

That's why I truly despise the Facebook, X, Instagram and TikTok of this world and I think these platforms are really toxic for the humanity in general.

Can't agree more ....

All social media platforms, at its core, are designed to divide people against each other while hiding anonymously behind a keyboard.  Social media platforms discourage 1 on 1 meaningful dialogue and interaction.  Outside of FB, I will NEVER have a X (Twitter) / Instagram or TikTok account.  Even on my FB the only I post about are things about my family and kids and my BBQ.  I never post about work or politics. 

So yeah ...you are spot on... :)  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

My mother passed last year, and she was the only reason I kept my facebook account, so that's gone. I never was on twitter or instagram and TikTok seems a bit like a root canal where the dentist goes in through you a$$ and works his way up to your mouth, so I've never bothered with that. Reddit was my lone holdout, and I got rid of it about half a year ago. Half the time, it's quite likely I was arguing with a bot/AI designed to keep me on the site, and the discussion that might have been real wasn't scintillating stuff either.

I still prefer the model presented by forums: a smaller community of people you actually get to know. In over 10 years on reddit, I don't think I ever spoke to the same person twice, unless it was in a thread. I don't miss it.

On this site, Ruxpin fills the AI/bot role. 😉

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

In my college journalism courses if you made a fact error, your grade was an F. No matter what. Our profs circled the error stopped reading, got the largest  red marker available in 1990 and drew that sucker at least 8 x 8, so when the work was returned your peers knew you had ****ed up.

It really only took one occurrence to learn the lesson.

That experience still shapes my formal writing today.

I wonder if that article's author had formal training?

I hope you don’t have PTSD from that class. 😂

F

• Haha 1

All I have to say about it is, this whole situation first and foremost...is terrible. Secondly, Carter Hart deserves due process, as does all involved. The victim needs to be treated fairly also, of course. Innocent until proven guilty, and all sides need to be heard. Thirdly, journalists need to stop being allowed to use this as an opinion piece IMO... for example, Marcus Hayes of the Philadelphia Inquirer has an article on the investigation today. 

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/hockey-canada-investigation-carter-hart-2018-sexual-assault-20240201.html

• Like 2

All Social media sucks...

I have facebook, but mostly so i can stay in touch with old friends from my Marine Corps days, hockey buds, and post pictures of my cat.

Wanna lose friends, post religion and politics, two topics where i keep my opinions to myself.

Won't do twiiter x or whatever they call it now, or any other SM, all it is here for is to divide and destroy.

As i said earlier one post on social media can destroy anyone with or without merit.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Marcus Hayes of the Philadelphia Inquirer has an article on the investigation today. 

Honest to God I forgot Marcus Hayes existed. Why don't you give me a paper cut and squirt lemon juice on it next?

Any take that is "REGARDLESS OF WHAT HAPPENS" simply isn't worth consideration.

There were people ABSOLUTELY SURE about Duke Lacrosse and some irresponsible lunatics called for executing the Central Park Five (who were later completely exonerated).

I don't know what happened and I don't know what's going to happen.

Of that much, at this point, I am certain.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Is this forum considered social media?

Message forums have been a thing since we were dialing in to a local BBS; it's just that when the internet came along, the ability to spread beyond regional areas became a thing. While the owners of the major social media sites are wealthy beyond belief, forums are mostly hosted by guys like @hf101 running a server out of their basement or renting server space on a hosting site, and their righteous goal is community. People attribute all sorts of nefarious New World Order-type goals to the big ones, but mostly they just want to harvest and sell our data. It always amuses when people talk about somebody like Mark Zuckerberg as pushing a woke agenda, as if his programming even received that update. All that man knows is money.

So are forums social media? I would say so, but don't consider them the societal poison pill the facebooks, instas, etc, represent.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1