Jagr Skeptics

Guest SoCalFlyfan

I was at Dick's Sporting goods last week and saw a Jagr Flyers shirt while in the checkout line. For two seconds it crossed my mind that the shirt would look good at a game. Then reality set in, it's still a Jagr shirt no matter what color it is.

I like how the guy has been playing and he has been doing wonders with Giroux, but at the end of the day JJ is and always will be JJ.

Jagr_t-shirt__19379_zoom.jpg

I myself fall into the the "this is gonna be weird" category. When a player isn't wearing the O&B, they are the enemy. But I never hate opposing players, even if they have talent to spare or just cause they light up my team regularly. It takes acting like a douche bag to do that. Aside from him being awesome and lighting up the Flyers, I didn't know much about him. Sure I'd hear things from time to time about him being a prima donna but what do I care? he wasn't disrupting the Flyers locker room. So when I hear we signed him, all I could say was, "this is gonna be weird" I assumed though that between age and not being in the NHL for a couple of years,that he'd probably be different than when he left. I didn't know what to expect so I went into it with an open but "this is weird" mentality. I had no clue that he was going to be this good so I'll take it as a very pleasant surprise. I also have to admit that, provided he plays consistently through to the end of the season, I wouldn't be opposed to the Flyers offering him another 1 year deal. He has the skills, has the dedication, and now seems t have the right mindset. What's not to like?

I know some posters had their hopes up that Jagr would fail in Philly for some strange reason. But he has been the perfect complement to Giroux and has been absolutely nothing like the skeptics predicted. Anyway, I really hope he holds up physically throughout the season since that is really the only argument the skeptics potentially still have. However, even if he does wear down my hat is off to the guy for doing what he has done so far.

Jagr has been the best new Flyer so far imo, if he can keep it up, he's on pace for 80 points. The guys work ethic is unreal, the good thing it's wearing off on the young guys, they are seeing what is takes to be elite. Leino who????

that would be me. And the reason may seem "strange" to you but hoping Jagr fails has been ingrained into me over many years of hating the guy.

Nobody expected him to play 2-way hockey this year. At best his supporters were hoping he'd contribute on the PP and knock home 20 or 25, while accepting the fact that he doesn't play D.

But I hardly recognize #68 this year - do you? Assuming you watched him over his career...have you ever seen him play so aggressively on both sides of the red line? I haven't. Ever.

If he's still playing 2-way hockey next spring I'll really be impressed. I already am of course, how can you not be? I'm still not happy he's a Flyer because...old habits die hard I guess. I'd much prefer someone else combining with Giroux and producing all the success they're having. But I'll get over it. Esp if Jagr is still playing the same way come spring time.

I'm actually glad I don't have to hate Jagr anymore. lol. It took so much freakin' energy over the years. I love seeing him in the O&B now and genuinely hope he succeeds. From what I've read, he's been good for the team, on and off the ice. That was needed.

We can start taking bets on when the resigning talk will start. The guy is ageless (so far). I liked Max Talbot's assessment: "He's still the strongest guy on the puck in the league...by far." Whoa.

I know some posters had their hopes up that Jagr would fail in Philly for some strange reason. But he has been the perfect complement to Giroux and has been absolutely nothing like the skeptics predicted. Anyway, I really hope he holds up physically throughout the season since that is really the only argument the skeptics potentially still have. However, even if he does wear down my hat is off to the guy for doing what he has done so far.

i have been behind the jagr signing since day 1 and the guy has done nothing but prove it was a good decision to bring him. he's scoring regularly, him and giroux are phenomenal together. plus all the young guys say how great he is with helping every one out and just being an all around team player.

i actually had a dream last night that jagr scored a hat trick lol. dont know who they were playing, but i dreamt that he took a wrister from the slot and burried it. he gave the salute and everyone started throwin there hats on the ice lol. hope it comes true sunday night!

i have been behind the jagr signing since day 1

I was behind it from day 3. The first day I had a stroke. The 1st half of the 2nd day I was cleaning out my ears. The 2nd half of day 2 I had time to think and quickly realized this was probably going to be good. So far it has.

who knew jagr could step in and be comfortable in a supporting role? the way he's playing now, he skates like his job is to help giroux become a superstar.

That's the way I see it too. Jäger had a choice and i really think that he picked the flyers because of Giroux. Obviously not strictly but it was a factor.

With the tutelage of jagr along with his work ethic, giroux's ceiling just went up a notch.

His maturity in the nhl will be fun to watch

We can start taking bets on when the resigning talk will start. The guy is ageless (so far).

I don't think it's too early to at least start wondering whether he would get re-signed or not. Looking at his play *now*, how can you not? Everything about this signing has been excellent........ so far.

I don't think it's too early to at least start wondering whether he would get re-signed or not. Looking at his play *now*, how can you not? Everything about this signing has been excellent........ so far.

Very unique situation, no? An almost 40 yo legend, future HOF player seemingly with a lot left in the tank who is helping Claude Giroux to super stardom. If this keeps up into the spring, I think Homer has to roll the dice and hope he can get another good season out of him. Not now though; before July 1.

I think Jagr has a feel for when a team has the "it" to do something special in a season. I think he feels that he has that here - that this was an opportunity to play for a real contender.

Pittsburgh clearly was treating him as a swan song. He wanted to be an eagle.

I don't think he ever felt that Washington had a serious chance when he was there and, I mean, seriously - the Rangers? Sheeeya.

Philly has given him a late career charge and he's making the most of it. After watching former Flyers go out and get their names on the Cup, I won't mind if a couple former Penguins are on it again under the name PHILADELPHIA FLYERS.

He's a real force with the puck. Eerily reminds me of Lindros at times - the 68 (instead of 88) doesn't help. Not the physical edge to the game, but the physical presence on the puck.

His influence off the ice is enough that they should just give Shelley's "intangible" money to Jagr. The impact on Voracek could be - COULD BE - career changing.

'68 and '93 playing for the Flyers. We've got to be among the most popular teams in Czech.

Imagine if they had Vokoun instead of Bryzgalov... ;)

:ph34r:

At the time I thought Jagr could help the PP and said so (I think), but was skeptical about his ability to be effective at even strength. He's surprised me by being just that and by his compete level eg backchekcing). And he is obvioulsy in shape. However, he IS playing with Giroux. If there is a better guy to play with in the NHL right now I'm not sure who it is.

Jagr have been slightly better than I expected but I still think we could spend the 3M on something more fun. I honestly think Giroux had been this good anyway, Jagr or not. Dont take it away from Giroux. I think Jagr is washed up. If you take off your Jagr glasses you could see that he makes some really bad plays too, lazy penelties etc.

I agree I might been kind of wrong. Jagr is better for our team than I expected but I still think we could get better for the money and that Jagr doesnt suit the O&B

I still think we could get better for the money and that Jagr doesnt suit the O&B

I disagree with you there. I can understand if you hate Jagr but I do think the 3mil is a great investment for Jagr. He has done everything we can ask of him, playing defense, backcheck and practicing almost all day. That will rub off on the team especially with how many young players we have now. Yes he make bad plays and take lazy penalties but so does the rest of the team. I can live with his mistakes as long as he hustles in all areas of the ice which certain players on this team don't.

Not to take anything away from Giroux, he is great but do you see the chemistry between him and Jagr? They know where each other is on the ice most of the time, they compliment each other very well. I don't think anyone on this team right now can do what Jagr has done for Giroux. Too bad we will never find out and I don't want to anyways. I just hope you open up some and enjoy what they are bringing nite after nite to this team right now. Relax and have fun cheering the Flyers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jagr have been slightly better than I expected but I still think we could spend the 3M on something more fun. I honestly think Giroux had been this good anyway, Jagr or not. Dont take it away from Giroux. I think Jagr is washed up. If you take off your Jagr glasses you could see that he makes some really bad plays too, lazy penelties etc.

I agree I might been kind of wrong. Jagr is better for our team than I expected but I still think we could get better for the money and that Jagr doesnt suit the O&B

Not sure which glasses you have on swede, but Jagr certainly has not been lazy. Hell, he is even getting production out of Hartnell. Jagr is averaging 1 point a game and is second on the team behind Giroux. I would wager to say that Jagr is a much better bargain than Shelley for the price......

I disagree with you there. I can understand if you hate Jagr but I do think the 3mil is a great investment for Jagr. He has done everything we can ask of him, playing defense, backcheck and practicing almost all day. That will rub off on the team especially with how many young players we have now. Yes he make bad plays and take lazy penalties but so does the rest of the team. I can live with his mistakes as long as he hustles in all areas of the ice which certain players on this team don't.

Not to take anything away from Giroux, he is great but do you see the chemistry between him and Jagr? They know where each other is on the ice most of the time, they compliment each other very well. I don't think anyone on this team right now can do what Jagr has done for Giroux. Too bad we will never find out and I don't want to anyways. I just hope you open up some and enjoy what they are bringing nite after nite to this team right now. Relax and have fun cheering the Flyers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont hate Jagr. I just dont think fish is good with icecream. I dont think Jagr is good with flyers. Just an opinion based on feelings.. Jagr is not a bad player.

I dont hate Jagr. I just dont think fish is good with icecream. I dont think Jagr is good with flyers. Just an opinion based on feelings.. Jagr is not a bad player.

I see your point. Jagr is oil and the Flyers are water. Jagr has learned to not be in water. He has funneled his way outside pot. He now is on bottom of pot heating our water. He is making our team boiling hot. I hope he doesn't run out of oil or we will be cold soup.

From Tim P

About the only thing that could possibly mar a strong first quarter of hockey for Jaromir Jagr was an injury.

Jagr will miss his second straight game and fourth in the last five Saturday at Madison Square Garden with a groin pull as the Flyers meet the Rangers for the first time this season.

Jagr has 17 points for the Flyers in 19 games. The chemistry he has shown with Claude Giroux, who is having an MVP-type season, is pretty obvious.

Jagr said this week he is thrilled to be playing on a team with younger players he can mentor. He says it’s given him a valuable role in his later years – the ability to pass on advice.

So the obvious question we had for him was whether it’s sparked something inside of him to perhaps ask the Flyers for a contract extension.

“It’s too early to tell,” Jagr replied. “I want to wait for the whole season and playoffs. I just don’t want to be somewhere where I can’t help the team, just sit around. It’s not me. I want to be a big part of the team to help the team, either way.

“It’s not about points, it’s about the whole team. Could we make the playoffs? How we’ll do in the playoffs. That’s the hockey you want to play – the playoffs. That is what I missed the most. NHL playoffs and other leagues [iIHF World Championships] are totally different.”

Jagr said one thing was for certain. He will be playing hockey somewhere next season.

E-mail Tim Panaccio at tpanotch@comcast.net.

I was always a Flyers fan and will always be a Flyers fan; but, for some strange reason, I never hated the Pens. I hated losing to them, YES! But, watching the likes of Mario and Jagr was just great for hockey. .... and to this day I think Mario > Gretzky... Okay, I know that's hard to take; but, I'm being honest.

Now, that being said, I TRULY UNDERSTAND how you all feel. I'm the EXACT same way with the NFL. I have two favorite teams. The Philadelphia Eagles and whoever is playing the Cowboys. I hate the Cowboys and truly celebrated the end of Michael Irving's career occurring in Philly. Pretty sad statement that I celebrated the end of a guys career. But, that's how much I hate the Cow-turds. So, I do know EXACTLY how you all feel about the Pens.

Even I look at Jagr and see him in a Pens jersey. And, Jagr once said, "The only way I'll ever come back to the NHL, is if I play for the Pens." Well, you can bet, there is no love lost for him in Pitt-town. I'll bet he gets booed every time he touches the puck. So, maybe that will help--if Jagr scores in Pitt, it will at least make you all feel better that it will irk the Pens fans to no end.

Mario better than Gretzky? To each his own, but Gretz' records speak for themselves. Theres a reason his name is on most of them, not Marios. Mario may have been bigger, maybe even more gifted. But he didn't have Gretzkys heart for the game. This has nothing to do with his illness, I'm just talking about love for hockey.

Orr was better than Mario too.

I have to disagree. Jagr might not be scoring or getting the most points for the 3M but he's helping Giroux become a superstar with tons of experience and leadership Jagr has. What would you get for 3M? Honestly think if you look passed the hatred and old age the 3million for a year is a great signing.

Edited by Flyerguy