Kurtis Foster to the Flyers

Guest hf101

McGillis.... that guy threw some nice hits..... who was that maniac the Flyers had a few seasons back that launched himself at anything that moved? I think we eneded up shipping him to LA?

Gauthier?

Welcome to the board, TheCoach!

With the addition of yet another big body in Foster, is Lavi changing his system for this season from offense-heavy, attack minded to a more traditional defensive approach that doesn't necessarily emphasize chasing the puck?

Less run and gun and more Getting Bryz some bigger bodies in front of the net to keep the crease clear, some guys who will stay at home postionally, resulting in less one on one with opposing offenses with the intent of giving up a lot fewer quality scoring chances, giving Bryz more cover, and making his job easier so he isn't required to make as many one on one saves because our defensemen are out of position - either because they've been physically pushed out of position or because they got caught chasing the puck.

Seems like Foster, and I don't know anything more about him than what I've read here, is not the kind of player that is going to be jumping up on offense to support Lavi's attacking style - and with Grossman's size, he probably would be better utilized in front of the net, in a less offensive manner, too. Seems to me, this reshaping of the defense could mean a possible reshaping of Lavi's system. What do you think?

McGillis.... that guy threw some nice hits..... who was that maniac the Flyers had a few seasons back that launched himself at anything that moved? I think we eneded up shipping him to LA?

Yeah but routinely took himself out of the play to make the hit.

@flyercanuck

Oh for Christ's sake, have we arrived back at "system" discussions?

Get the puck. Keep it. Hit somebody. Move your feet. Stop thinking (Hartnell). Get up! (Hartnell)

Don't force me to learn html or whatever and start putting up Xs and Os and LINES!

Edited by Podein25

@OH1FlyersFan " Seems to me, this reshaping of the defense could mean a possible reshaping of Lavi's system. What do you think?"

An excellent question, we will find out the answer soon enough huh?

I'm actually really looking forward to that when the new season starts on Saturday - the chance we may get to see a new look, new style of play.

@OH1FlyersFan " Seems to me, this reshaping of the defense could mean a possible reshaping of Lavi's system. What do you think?"

An excellent question, we will find out the answer soon enough huh?

i have always liked John Paddock , he was a good coach for my beloved Bears in the late 80's , seemed like a sharp hockey mind way back then. it will be interesting to see what he brings to table, all the coaches are pros and to this point are behaving as such, so this press box coordinator type role could be really good for the team.

I'm actually really looking forward to that when the new season starts on Saturday - the chance we may get to see a new look, new style of play.

Just for the record: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20130116_Flyers_will_be_in_attack_mode_again__Peter_Laviolette_says.html

After the third day of training camp Tuesday in Voorhees, coach Peter Laviolette conceded that the Flyers can give goalie Ilya Bryzgalov more support this year, but made it clear he does not plan to change the team's modus operandi: attack, attack, attack.

And attack some more.

Laviolette likes to talk about playing with "jam," and his 2013 edition will not be different.

@radoran I'm ok with attack, attack, attack....but they have to be in better shape than the other teams, conditioning plays a major role in that type of style. It's super important for the Flyers to *always* have their feet moving...we can't afford to glide like some other teams (eg Devils who play a more conservative positionally sound game) , cause our forwards will be deeper in the offensive zone than other teams....thus necessitating a greater emphasis on being in shape. It's a fly by the seat of your pants style that suits their young forwards, so I'm ok with it.

• Like 1

@radoran I'm ok with attack, attack, attack....but they have to be in better shape than the other teams, conditioning plays a major role in that type of style. It's super important for the Flyers to *always* have their feet moving...we can't afford to glide like some other teams (eg Devils who play a more conservative positionally sound game) , cause our forwards will be deeper in the offensive zone than other teams....thus necessitating a greater emphasis on being in shape. It's a fly by the seat of your pants style that suits their young forwards, so I'm ok with it.

I haven't been impressed with the Flyers' conditioning since Terry Murray got canned.

Interesting. Thanks Rad. Looks like that answers the question. Attack more, but perhaps this time with a stronger, more solid defense? Could work. Or this could just be disinformation on Lavi's part designed to mislead opponents on what our strategy/system really is. Ha.

Interesting. Thanks Rad. Looks like that answers the question. Attack more, but perhaps this time with a stronger, more solid defense? Could work. Or this could just be disinformation on Lavi's part designed to mislead opponents on what our strategy/system really is. Ha.

Ha!

I think overall the D is better from top to bottom than last year - and more defensively oriented. But I don't think you can teach Laviolette to do anything but charge forward.

• Like 1