Report: Flyers have contacted Montreal Canadiens about P.K. Subban

pilldoc

Do you trade Coots for Subban  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trade Couturier for Subban?

• Yes, with Mezz out we need help on defense
    • No, Coots is untouchable
  2. 2. Do you even want Subban on the Flyers?

• Yes. We need defensive help..but not willing to give up Coots.
    • Yes, but I would trade ________ (fill in the blank)
    • No. I want no part of Subban on the Flyers

Take it for what is is worth.....

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/Report_Flyers_have_contacted_Montreal_Canadiens_about_PK_Subban.html

The Flyers were thin on defense before news came out Friday that Andrej Meszaros will miss a month with a shoulder injury. Now, it looks like they could look outside for help.

Josh Rimer, producer for XM's "NHL Home Ice" and SportsNet in Toronto, has reported that the Flyers have contacted the Montreal Canadiens about their young defenseman P.K. Subban.

Rimer also reported that Sean Couturier would like be involved in any deal involving the Flyers and Subban. He did not say whether or not the Flyers would be willing to move the second-year player, but rather that Couturier would be part of the asking price for Subban.

The Flyers are not the only team interested, according to Rimer. Two other teams are also interested in acquiring Subban.

More to come.

I personally do not want trade Coots. I know this topic has been discussed before. However, I could be willing to part with B. Schenn.

Thoughts????

Who would you be willing to part with?

• Like 1

from the Habs forum..here is what the Habs are offering and what Subban wants:

The Habs want 2 years at 3 million (or something similar to the contract of MDZ), and they are using Del Zotto's contract in their negotiations for sure. But, Subban and his camp are seeking 8 years at around 6 million (ala Tyler Myers).

• Like 1

The Montreal offer is really insulting. There's no other way to put it. They've offered 2 years, $5.1M ($2.55M annual average). I think he's definitely worth, right now in the $3-4M range for 2-4 years. Longer than that, and you'll have to up the yearly salary.

As for Coots, I don't want to see him go either. I don't want to rehash our discussion, but if you add Coots and Schenn as untouchables, there is no way we ever get a young top flight defenseman without drafting one. Maybe Brayden Schenn gets it done too... but we just traded for his brother. Something tells me they'll both be here for a while.

So, if neither of them get moved, then we resign ourselves to the defense we have, plus a few mediocre/overpriced pickups through UFA over the next years.

• Like 1

I do not want us to trade either Schenn or Couts. Its high time we try and develop our young talent instead of trading our way out of all our problems. We gave up Richards to get Schenn and then had to sit and eat the excrement sandwich of watching Richards hoist the Cup. Dont even get me started on Pat Sharp (oh and JVR just scored again) If MTL get desperate to move Subban and lower their asking price maybe I would say look into it otherwise is Subban really worth it? I know we need defense but is Subban that guy that we need? I doubt it but that is just me.

• Like 3

So far everyone's talking about Couturier or maybe Schenn as trade bait for Subban (or whomever) ... How do folks feel about possibly trading Read or Voracek?

Personally I'd hate to part with any of these guys of course, but given the weak FA market this summer, a trade might be the only way to get significantly better on D.

• Like 1

I do not want us to trade either Schenn or Couts. Its high time we try and develop our young talent instead of trading our way out of all our problems. We gave up Richards to get Schenn and then had to sit and eat the excrement sandwich of watching Richards hoist the Cup. Dont even get me started on Pat Sharp (oh and JVR just scored again) If MTL get desperate to move Subban and lower their asking price maybe I would say look into it otherwise is Subban really worth it? I know we need defense but is Subban that guy that we need? I doubt it but that is just me.

Well hopefully Holmgren doesn't do something stupid and he keeps Couts. I see Couts as the second line centre behind Giroux once Briere is gone. If Subban doesn't resign with Montreal then the Habs won't be in a position of power regarding trading him so Holmgren should just wait and see.

I would not do either one (Schenn or Coots). Laughton + a prospect and a pick. Nothing more. I do not like Subban at all. He is a Benn (prima donna) in my mind.

100% agreed. I don't think Subban's attitude would be good for this team, which is pretty Prima Donna-free right now, and I'm liking it that way.

Edited by Lucky13

The problem I have with Subban is, he's just not very good defensively. He's great with the puck. He makes the big hit. He's always on the highlight reels. The problem is, he's always on the highlight reels, even when the other team scores.

I haven't watched enough of Subban to speak for his play, but his attitude rep precedes him and I would be hesitant to give up a guy with real character (like Read) in a trade. All Read has ever done, is score goals, as we saw last night. No, I keep him unless you want another patrick sharp in your own conference.

I don't know if Subban has matured or not, yet. But you have to be careful what you bring into your locker room, Yashin had gobbs of talent too, ask NYI how thats working out?

How do folks feel about possibly trading Read or Voracek?

Maybe Read, Not sure. He sure looked good last night against a wounded and uninspired Panthers team.

I have the same reservations abut Subban that others have. But we lost a lot of mobility back there with the loss of Carle and an aging Timonen. Subban has that.

The Habs have offered Subban a two-year deal worth $2.2 million this year and $2.9 million in 2014 ($2.55 million cap hit). It’s believed they are at least $2.5-$3 million per year apart. If this is true, and if Subban gets the money he's looking for, then his cap hit would be in the neighborhood of $5 million per year. The Flyers are tight against the Cap already this year and the Cap going down next year. It would take Voracek AND Read to make this trade work cap wise.

Subban would cost too much.

• Like 1

The Flyers are tight against the Cap already this year and the Cap going down next year. It would take Voracek AND Read to make this trade work cap wise

Good point. Thank god for the cap! (I can't see Homer trading those two guys for Subban)

Schenn and Coots got here by trade. I'm not big on Brayden Schenn so If he went for a YOUNG player in Subban i'm ok with it. IF it came down to a negotiation with Montreal for Subban, I can't see them taking only Schenn or only Read.

I think Schenn is going to be a monster in this league. It might take him another 4-5 years to reach that level, but I think he will. He's fast, smart with the puck, he hits like a truck, he's aggressive in the corners, and he has playmaking finesse. All of that is raw right now, but you can see flashes of it.

As for Coots, he will probably be the better two way player, but not as offensively productive as Schenn. Coots still appears quite lanky and slow, which may change over time as he adapts to the NHL speed and gets more muscle on his frame.

Subban loves to hit, and does so with a certain zeal not unlike Luke Schenn. He's certainly a more 'dramatic' player than what we have. And he's the kind of defenseman you get for his offensive skills, especially on the PP. He will probably always have defensive deficiencies, but that's fine. You need some of those guys too. I'm sure he'll get better at that part of the game over time. He'll be the kind of guy you put out on PPs and late pushes for goals. Not when you're on the PK or preserving a lead late in the game.

• Like 2

You'll never get him for that either. And waiting it out turns into missing out more often than naught. The Habs won't let him walk as a free agent. Somebody will pay for his potential, douchebag or not!

Then he's not worth it. Subban is a talent, but there is a reason the Habs are trying to low ball him too. Everyone is saying what they would give up for him and not more and I think they know that might not be realistic. But they couldn't care less if he'd be a Flyer.

I know I don't want him that bad. In fact, I don't know what I'd give up for him. His attitude is a big question mark. That stuff seems to stick in more crawls in hockey than in any other sport. It seriously devalues him.

• Like 2