Winter Classic Alumni Game

Guest TedZep

That was a surprisingly entertaining game, even if a bit more in slow motion than a "real" game. The huge smiles on the players' faces was infectious; they looked like they were having the times of their lives.

I am SO glad penalties aren't all resolved with a penalty shot in the real game, the Flyers would be toast.

Ted................

It was a lot of fun. John LeClair, Shjon Podein and Mark Howe are my favorite Flyers, and each got a goal. I think either LeClair or Lindros could have had a couple if they hadn't tried to set up teammates.

Brought back memories.

That was amazing seeing those guys play again. Seeing Rex, Lindros and Leclair hook up for a goal was a huge thrill. Also seeing Toc and Poulin get assists followed by a Mark Howe PS goal really warmed my 35 year old heart as those were and are still "my guys". I loved seeing Bernie, Clarke, and Barber play live for the first time in my life. I was hoping to see a bit more from JR and Propp. I was stunned too how well Trees and Little played.

Great to see my old heroes beat the old Rags let's now see the current squad paste the Rags on national TV.

The ice looked OK, but looked shiny as if there was water on the surface. I didn't hear any comments about it. Have you guys in the area read or heard anything about its' condition for the classic?

Hey, Voyageur,

Yeah..........I watched the game with some of my children and grandchildren.

There were a few chivalrous moves by both squads. When the Rangers pulled the goalie and Flyers were reluctant to take advantage, my grandson asked why. I explained that Philadelphia had a two goal edge in an exhibition game, and were showing class.

He said that maybe now, he understood why his cousins loved hockey.

I simply loved that game. For a 49 year old fart, it brought back soooo many great memories. I am proud of being a Flyer fan. Only in Philly would 45,000 people turn out to see an alumni game.

Somebody once commented that being a Flyer fan was like being in a little club.

It seems that we take the back seat when it comes to the Phillies, Eagles, and Sixers. After today, I don't think our club is so little. Imagine, 45,000+ orange and black. Love it!

I'm a bit younger than most it seems, but seeing 10, 88, and 8 playing again....I can't put it in words. I am so happy.

Was anyone else surprised at the effort level? I saw some big old guy get down and block a shot! Marsh I think it was.

Also amazed the goalies played so well. All of them.

I just got back from the game, and it was an awesome event all the way around. About 45k there... people were happy... lots of laughter in the stands and CBP actually worked pretty well. (Other than Baseball is not designed for "intermissions" -- concessions/restrooms were a bit tight on 300 level... but so what). Was odd seeing Lindros jerseys - that were not crossed out... the duct tape has been transferred to Richards sweaters instead.

@blocker

We were pretty high up but the sightlines weren't all that bad.... not saying I wouldn't have liked closer seats, but it was manageable. I was really proud of the turnout, 45k showing up for an alumni game is amazing. For me, just to be able to chant "Ber-nie Ber-nie" one last time was worth the trip. Class move by Duguay to put that shot in Bernie's pads. LCB and Kelly and O, a good mix of guys from the 80s and 90s, really couldn't have asked for a better day

I'm a bit younger than most it seems, but seeing 10, 88, and 8 playing again....I can't put it in words. I am so happy.

Was anyone else surprised at the effort level? I saw some big old guy get down and block a shot! Marsh I think it was.

Also amazed the goalies played so well. All of them.

Brad Marsh was a serviceable and helmetless stay at home dman who loved to block shots especially when Pelle and then Hexy got out of position. He was like a 2nd goalie back there. He was good for about 1 or 2 goals a year and I could not believe the glorious scoring chance he had in the beginning of the game. He was robbed by beezer. He later went to the Sens when they were a new team and then opened up his own eating establishment there called Marshy's.

I missed the first few minutes, got home shortly after Bernie was pulled, but I was listening on the radio, then watched the entire rest of the game. I came into hockey during the LOD years, but seeing some of the old guys was a thrill. Some things that stood out for me:

-Bernie's reception before and after. When he went off the ice and then got his curtain call, Tim Saunders said that the eye injury wasn't how he wanted to go out, and this was a perfect "final" sendoff by the fans.

-Lindros and Leclair back together on the ice. Brought back some memories. They still looked like they could play today. Still amazed by how huge Eric is. And he wasn't even wearing shoulder pads...

-The guys getting eachother's autographs. Made you realize just how special this game was to them. The tears at the end, too. I think I might have even seen Clarke wipe his eye at the end of the game.

-Mark Howe talking about losing Brad McCrimmon over the summer. You could tell he missed him.

-Along that line, someone came with a sign that had Barry Ashbee, Dmitri Tertyshny, Pelle Lindbergh, and a couple other names on it that said "We miss you." Flashed a little too quick for me to catch them all.

-Clarke and Lindros standing together after the game. It was staged for an interview, and I don't know if they chatted afterward, but it was still pretty cool.

-Also kinda funny, is that they used retired officials, as well.

Truly awesome event. I was never into the old fart games before, but I guess I'm an old fart myself now, and that was really awesome to see all those players out there again.

It's amazing just to see them skate as they did in their playing days(just not as fast). No one has the same strides and it was just so cool to see them out there... Truly like going back in time. The goal with lindros and leclair was just priceless.

I thought the staging of Clarke and lindros looked awkward, but I think it served its purpose.... The feud is officially over. Just amazing to see him wearing a flyers jersey again. That's something I never thought I'd see. It was enough to warm this old farts dead heart.