Downie

SwedeFly

I love what I'm seeing out of him and the threat he adds to our third line.

The addition of Downie has essentially turned our shutdown line to one of the hottest lines as of late.

He battles, has great vision, is terrific along the boards, and has been able to play on the edge while keeping his cool ( for the most part ).

What do you guys think.... Should Homer sign him to a two year extension before he walks ??

Plenty of time to wait and sign him closer to the end of the season. I could see him being left go if he is asking too much and bringing Laughton in next year. I realize Laughton is a center but somehow I think he would not mind playing with Cooter and Read on the third line. This is in no way to be construed as I want Downie gone, I just see him playing his way to a big payday that the Flyers might not have room for.

Absolutely sign him. He's been banged up over the years and his stock has dropped but he gives the Flyers (and Couturier in particular) exactly what they need on that line.

He's getting $2.65 million this year. I can't see how he asks for much of a raise unless he goes on some kind of scoring tear.

I respect team chemistry and Downie is a strong personality, the type that either fits in or doesn't. It's still early but it appears the team has embraced him. I would definitely try to sign him.

yeah it's everything you mentioned in your original post -

He battles, has great vision, is terrific along the boards, and has been able to play on the edge while keeping his cool ( for the most part ).

What's not to like right?

It's funny I came across your thread right after I'd written about Downie in the Couturier thread, saying basically the same thing you did. I think Downie is, among other things a real good answer to the question, "How do we get more offense out of Couturier?"

I'm not surprised at all if he indeed was a player who helped spark the Flyers.

Also, Colorado very well may have lost more than most people think by trading him.

Steve Downie has come a LONG way from that single digit IQ crazy man he was when he first got to the NHL.

I was lucky enough to see that metamorphosis in Tampa Bay...and believe me, his actual hockey skills are VERY underrated.

He may not be a regular top line guy on most teams, but as mentioned already in this thread, makes a mediocre third line great, and he DOES have the skills to paly on a second line if the team he is on is lacking in offensive depth.

He played on lines with Stamkos, St. Louis, Lecavalier, O'Reilly, and Landeskog before...just to name a few...and he has skated right with those guys, made plays right along with those guys, and added his own brand of grit (with still just a pinch of crazy) to be very effective.

Teams are aware when he is on the ice, both in terms of play and rough stuff, and even if he isn't lighting up the scoreboard himself, he certainly creates opportunities for whatever snipers he may be lined with at the time.

If the Flyers can somehow fit him into their cap, and the price is right, sure, I'd say hang on to him....if not, I tell ya, I wouldn't mind seeing him back on the Lightning for a second stint. The young team the Bolts are fielding now are a good combination of skill, forechecking, and a hint of snarl.....Downie would fit in.

Also wouldn't mind seeing the Wild take a run at him if he were to be available.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

So what does he bring to the table that makes such a difference?

He's plays very strong along the boards, which creates space for Couturier and Read. He also has good hands and a high hockey IQ. He's a very good passer. In short, he has the ability to occupy a couple of defenders and get the puck to one of his linemates.

• Like 1

So what does he bring to the table that makes such a difference?

He is super effective in the cycle game, he can play with the puck on his stick, has great vision and good hockey IQ . (Or vice versa)

Plus as @TropicalFruitGirl26 says there' still a little pinch of crazy to him to go with the skills.

Plus what @JackStraw says... Which I just saw.

Look he's not the sole reason for the turn around , but he's been better than just about everyone here thought he would be.

I don't think Downie is the type that will fit in everywhere. He's obviously respected here by the coaching staff and his piers. That may play a big part in his future endeavors. In Downies case, better to take a bit less money to be in the comfortable position the Flyers are currently providing. The guy was born to be a Flyer, plays a very "Flyerlike" game.

In general, he makes the Flyers harder to play against. Having offensive prowess and a touch of crazy is a tough combination to find. I hope the Flyers don't low ball him, and I hope Downie does not ask for the world either, a nice middle ground (assuming he puts up 35-40 pts) would be in the neighborhood of 3.5 mill a year. The presently clicking 3rd line would not be the same without him, so there is some real value here. I said it many times during his OHL/Windsor days, Downie is so elite at passing that he almost appears to wish it there and BAM, it's on the tape!

Say we keep Downie... where does Laughton fit in?

Laughton will not be on the 4th line, and the top 9 is all booked up.

I know that's several months down the road, but I wonder if that affects how they treat the Downie situation. Or if they look at trading away someone in the top 9 (or Laughton).

No, but Hextall should.

The addition of Downie has essentially turned our shutdown line to one of the hottest lines as of late.

What do you guys think.... Should Homer sign him to a two year extension before he walks ??

Depends on how they look. If they keep up at the rate they're going you can dish Laughton similarly to the way the Kings dished us Schenn for a key component (Replacement for the assumed to be retiring Timmo seems like a hole we'll have to address by next October).

But I wouldn't really think screwing with this top 9 is the thing to do until they start to look really different.

Everyone keeps pointing out that they're only playing crap to mediocre teams, so we'll see what it looks like after some after they deal with some of the big boys. In the mean time,

Downie's worth keeping if you can keep the cost realistic... Something that homer has no excelled at and maybe should be hextall's job.

I know that's several months down the road, but I wonder if that affects how they treat the Downie situation. Or if they look at trading away someone in the top 9 (or Laughton).

Again, not trying to get rid of Downie but I think he is going to play himself to a big payday if he so chooses. The chemistry thing is huge as to how well the 3rd line is playing and that will help him. If Downie does leave, that should give Laughton a shot at a 3rd line where he will have a real chance at excelling as I see his skill set as somewhat akin to Downie but with better skating ability and speed.

The guy basically adds another dimension to the team. There's now 3 lines to worry about, and players have to also be aware that "psycho-boy" is on the ice. I always liked Downie and thought it was complete bs that the league had an agenda out for him. As long as he only wants 3rd line money...sign him.

Plenty of time to wait and sign him closer to the end of the season. I could see him being left go if he is asking too much and bringing Laughton in next year. I realize Laughton is a center but somehow I think he would not mind playing with Cooter and Read on the third line. This is in no way to be construed as I want Downie gone, I just see him playing his way to a big payday that the Flyers might not have room for.

I watched Laughton play again last night. His offensive skills are really starting to stand out. He's already one of the best players in the league without the puck. He scored on a wrist shot that looked like it went through the goalie. 38 points in 22 games...19 g 19 a

I'm not really worried about it to be honest. I don't get worried about where someone fits on the team until they prove they're worthy of a spot. If they are and they are that good, you make a spot for them. If they're not necessary, you trade them.

Someone give Homer a little credit? LCV, Mason, Downie and the coaching change? Maybe he's not AS bad as said....

The LeCavalier deal would look a lot nicer if the Streit deal didn't proceed it. The Mason deal worked out great...AFTER he'd signed Bryzgalov to one of the stupidest contracts in NHL history (and I'm not just saying it now) and traded away the Vezina winner. He's already traded Downie away previously and has nothing to show for it. The Flyers will be paying Briere, Bryz and Pronger for years to NOT play. He drafts well but trades most of his 1st and 2nd round picks away. He's one of the worst gms in the league with cap management. His trades are about 50/50 and that's being very generous to Mr. Holmgren.

Credit enough?

He hasn't been dumb and I give him credit for that. He's bounced around a decent amount for a young player, so that's concerning (especially given his past). But so far, he's not been a psycho.

I resign him if it's for the right money. The last thing I want is to see them overpay for another player. If he continues to not be an idiot and develop chemistry with his linemates, I have no problem with resigned him as long as it doesn't hurt them.