Flyers extend Mason

albertaflyer

Just throwing absurdity out there: Holmgren 's first reasonable contact in terms of length and amount and without a NMC/NTC is also the first contact without Luukko.

Coincidence?

Voracek and Couturier? Maybe Read too? All kind of recent though.

I'm ok with that contract. He's played well for the most part. It's only 3 years. He's still RFA so his best days should be ahead of him.

FC:

As my late, great mom used to say, "from your lips to God's ears.!"

Good to hear from you...hope you and yours are well.

Howie

Hard to believe, but my buddy is telling me Mason started out with a save% of .935 in the first 19 games, since then he *supposedly* has a .895 save%. The eye test tells me he has played reasonably well, held us in tight games, made huge saves to allow the Flyers to mount several comebacks (tonight notwithstanding). If true, that stat is a little uncomfortable....but I'm happy he is locked up, we needed this stability!

It was a fair deal before they signed it...but now it's too much $$$.

Reason?  Every player in philly ( name your sport ) goes down hill a little after they sign big or extended contracts.   Name one player who's play has improved after signing a big contract... I can't think of one.

Reason?  Every player in philly ( name your sport ) goes down hill a little after they sign big or extended contracts.   Name one player who's play has improved after signing a big contract... I can't think of one.

Desean Jackson says hello....

Ok, I'll give you that one...but guess what, he's now playing the a$$hole and asking for even more money !

I disagree. He's asking for a raise based on performance. It isn't like NFL teams hold on to underperforming players relative to salary. The players should grab every cent they can before they become irrelevant again. "It's just business" goes both ways.

Hard to believe, but my buddy is telling me Mason started out with a save% of .935 in the first 19 games, since then he *supposedly* has a .895 save%. The eye test tells me he has played reasonably well, held us in tight games, made huge saves to allow the Flyers to mount several comebacks (tonight notwithstanding). If true, that stat is a little uncomfortable....but I'm happy he is locked up, we needed this stability!

Let's face it...the D needs improvement. Kimmo frees up 6....moving Mez another 4....$10 million can make a vast improvement...if you can find someone who's available.

Crosby.

Yup, he's like a slow but steady downward spiral. I posted these numbers in another thread about Mason the other day.

Oct, 3-6-0, 2.25 GAA, .928 sv %

Nov, 6-2-2, 1.94 GAA, .938 sv %

Dec, 7-1-2, 2.92 GAA, .899 sv %

Jan, 3-2-1, 3.35 GAA, .881 sv %

So even though his record was great in December, he allowed one full goal per game more than November, and his save % has been below .900 over the last 6-7 weeks of play. 

And I've noticed more often than not, Mason lets in at least one stoppable goal per game. Earlier in the season, he stopped those. 

I mean, many of the goals are really the result of really sloppy defensive play. At one point yesterday, the Isles had a 4 on 1... wtf? That's just poor coverage and communication on the ice. Whatever they did to open up the offense has led to weaker defense. 

It'd be nice if they could do both, but I guess that's why they're a middling team and not an elite one. 

Just throwing absurdity out there: Holmgren 's first reasonable contact in terms of length and amount and without a NMC/NTC is also the first contact without Luukko.

Coincidence?

You gotta admit Luukko got great deals for Richards and Crater, no?  :ph34r:

How about "first deal after the new CBA in which the league mandated his usual tactics for cap circumvention weren't going to be allowed any more because the owners that did that sort of thing needed the players to stop them from doing it any more."

I'm ok with that contract. He's played well for the most part. It's only 3 years. He's still RFA so his best days should be ahead of him.

It wasn't Holmgren's typical long-term contract that he usually gives out. Hopefully his best days are still ahead of him but the cap hit is reasonable since the cap is suppose to be going up.

I don't think Voracek, Couturier, or Mason are even eligible for NMC/NTCs during the length of their extensions. Couturier definitely not, I think Voracek's contract runs out before his first year of eligibility. Mason may actually run one season past his UFA eligibility, so I guess he could have gotten one in year three.

I don't think Voracek, Couturier, or Mason are even eligible for NMC/NTCs during the length of their extensions. Couturier definitely not, I think Voracek's contract runs out before his first year of eligibility. Mason may actually run one season past his UFA eligibility, so I guess he could have gotten one in year three.

I forgot that little tidbit in the CBA. Good call!

Greetings:

Here is a not-so-positive take on the signing from Puck Daddy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/learned-flyers-actively-seek-bad-goaltending-141537556--nhl.html

While I don't agree with everything said there are elements of truth. We do have to hope this is some turnaround and that the law of averages isn't taking hold. I like Mason as a teammate but hope we aren't booking a so-so player long-term.  I might have preferred a two-year deal just in case. But I acknowledge that in recent games we have seen some real defensive mess-ups that Parent or Brodeur couldn't handle.

Best,

Howie

ALso found this one... not sure if it's been posted yet.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2014/1/18/5322472/steve-mason-contract-extention-analysis-flyers

All in all, this isn't a catastrophe. Goalies are getting big money and/or big term in this day and age, and I was really worried that Mason was going to get one or both. Three years is manageable, and the dollar amount, while high, isn't crippling.

But it's still a pretty healthy commitment to a guy who still has a lot to prove in the NHL. It's Paul Holmgren and company making a firm statement that they think the 26 games Mason played between April 6 and November 30 of 2013 represent a skill level close to what he is actually capable of, and that they think the Mason that played poorly before and after that time is a mirage. It's very, very risky, and if they're wrong and the Mason we get moving forward is a .906 or worse goalie, the Flyers are going to need really, really good performances up and down the rest of the lineup to remain competitive.

I think that statement is bang on. I honestly wonder if anyone working for the Flyers actually has a legitimate understanding of statistics.

I hope beyond hope that the November Mason comes back, and that's what we will get for the next 3 years. But I'm a fan, and can be excused for having blinders on ;)

ALso found this one... not sure if it's been posted yet.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2014/1/18/5322472/steve-mason-contract-extention-analysis-flyers

I think that statement is bang on. I honestly wonder if anyone working for the Flyers actually has a legitimate understanding of statistics.

I hope beyond hope that the November Mason comes back, and that's what we will get for the next 3 years. But I'm a fan, and can be excused for having blinders on ;)

Agreed - and there are always risks.

But three years isn't the end of the world - plausible Mason was saying he wouldn't sign a two year until free agency and it took three to seal the deal.

And, realistically, the Flyers really don't have any other options.

2014 UFA: http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

2015 UFA: http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2015&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

Puck Daddy's mentions of Niemi and Schneider are well taken, but I don't see many other young goalies available in the next few years.

Mason may not be the long term solution, but if he's even Marty Biron for a couple of years, they could do much worse.

And have.

The difference with Mason and some of the other goalies who have come and gone here is that Mason is clearly an extremely talented goaltender. He's big, he's quick, he's technically strong. Basically he has all the physical attributes you could want. If there is going to be a problem with him it will be "upstairs". And it's the coaches' responsibility to keep working with him to make sure he doesn't develop bad habits. Even though his numbers have slipped recently he doesn't seem to be playing any differently to me. He's still making plenty of spectacular saves and at least giving the team a chance to win. But the defense is not nearly as tight as it was earlier and when there are opposing forwards hanging around unmolested at the far post with open nets in front of them there's not much a goalie can do.

• Like 2