Flyers extend Mason

albertaflyer

This figure in a larger cap, based on rumors and projections, is fair. He's been better than a lot of recent Flyer goalies, but he hasn't been a Flyer for a year. And I'm slightly nervous he could be a flash in the pan, again. I hope the best though.

I like it.   3 years is perfect, it shows committment that he is the starter going forward but leaves him incentive to play for a bigger deal since he is young.   Comparing to other past deals as far as money goes is irrelevant.   As others said the cap is anticipated to go up and when it does it so does the market price.  

Perfect length and term. When Mason's agent started that nonsense about Mason being in the same class as Carey Price I was thinking, well 6 mill a year, as much as I like Mason and think his getting away from Columbus will resurrect his career I figures five years, 6 mil a year would be the asking price. Got the deal that works well for both team and player, Mason can put the distraction aside and concentrate on goaltending and the Flyers have a potential tip top goalie locked up at a reasonable rate.

I think that fair in both directions for you guys.   Mason is a solid goaltender.  For three years, that's not bad.  And not having a NTC in the contract, if it doesn't work out he'd be easier to move.

So refreshing to after just watching Bryz carry another 1 nothing shutout into the 3rd again to start the collapse giving up a shortie to lose 3-2 in OT...man i'm so glad that bum isn't in Philly no more!!!!!!!!!!!!

A fair deal for both sides. It's *so* refreshing to have a quality goalie in the nets for Philly. It's been decades since we could count on a guy to be respectable and actually steal the odd game. This should be rewarded....and it was. With the cap going up and up...this deal will actually be a steal for Philly. Lots of teams pay a LOT more for a lesser quality goalies. The length shows some appropriate prudence by Homer, and takes into account Mason's propensity for up and down play for the Blue Jackets. The lack of a NTC shows some growth by Homer as a GM, pre Bryz, he would have locked up Mason for his entire career with a NMC based on this years stats, so he is learning from previous mistakes. A big relief to have a goalie we can count on for 4.1 a year, very nice.