Why is Dustin Byfuglien always rumored w/ Flyers

mojo1917

Anyone ?

what the hell ?  how is he the answer to anything that this team needs ?

Is it a constant smoke screen from Homer ?

Does Eklund just have big buff stuck on his computer's clipboard and control V's that **** whenever he's feeling blue ?

Is it because he's from Minnesota originally ?

good grief , if we give up any sort of decent asset for that stiff, i'll be praying for a Sixers-esque tanking session with firings and buyouts and testy pressers  because damn... let's get the unmotivated fat guy and put him in this high pressure grinder and see how that works...

***dismounts soapbox, feeling a little better but still somewhat nauseous *** 

A better question might be:  "Why is EVERY free agent, pending free agent, pending trade candidate, always rumored with the Flyers?"

It's a 2 part answer;  Edward M. Snider and Paul Howard Homlgren.

@DGG- not pursuing EVERY free agent or trying to trade for EVERYONE would be a fresh perspective.

It's a 2 part answer;  Edward M. Snider and Paul Howard Homlgren.  

I don't know why you persist in your dogged insistance that the owner of the team and the general manager have anything to do with the overall makeup of the roster or the direction of the team.

Seems like all you want to do is blame 'the man'.

:ph34r:

To be clear, I'm not blaming the "man", I'm blaming the "MEN".   :P

I don't know why you don't blame Pronger for forcing that contract on the Flyers. Or Bryzgalov. Or Briere. Or Hartnell. Or Streit. Or VLC.

Why did they insist on those contracts when they could have done something more beneficial for the Flyers?

Stupid players putting Homer in a bad position...

:ph34r:

I think part of the reason that Flyers are in so many rumors is because Exlund is a Flyers fan, so he makes up more Flyers rumors than any other team...then it spreads through the net.

@mojo1917  There are a few reasons why the Flyers are linked with the big Buff. First, he's a big physical guy, and we always want those kinda guys, right? Secondly, he plays the point on the power play, and we have a need there. Third, he will be moved by the Jets (at least I believe that) so that makes the rumor mill churn. He SUCKS as a defensemen, he's actually a decent right winger. His plus-minus is a horrid -17, but most of that was accumiliated as a d-man, he's been ok in that regard since his switch to the wing 6 weeks or so ago. He's the type of guy that would be really tough to put a vaule on trade wise, and the fact that Homer is an idiot in these types of trades quite frankly scares me. I shudder to think the assets he would give up to get this big slug. He does have a rocket of a shot from the point on the pp, but overall, a defensive liability. Pass.

Not hard to see why a defenseman like Byfuglien is rumored to have drawn interest by the Flyers....or anyone else for that matter.

He is a big, tough, very physical guy who also has some underrated offensive skill to go along with that.

The prototypical "Flyer" type player.

Sure, he may not be the most sound in his defensive coverage or the most technically proficient when it comes to reading plays, disrupting them, and then following up with quick passing out of the zone to set up streaking forwards, but given what he DOES bring (the aforementioned positive attributes), teams would be willing to live with his medicore technique and actual defense.

Does it solve the Flyers' problems on the blue line?

No...but again, given Philly's overall team philosophy, big Dustin would fit right in....plus, it would take more than just one defenseman to solve the blue line issues.

If the Flyers want better overall D-men, then they may have to make some compromise on possibly giving up the usual 'heavy hitter' type for someone with a bit more technique and finesse to their game on the blue line.

It's not something Philly has focused on the last few seasons, but perhaps it would be time to look in that direction.

That all said, despite Dustin Byfuglien deficiencies, he still brings a presence to that blue line...forwards are VERY well aware when he is on the ice, lest they should get plastered into the 5th row.

He can also be seen jumping in on plays when his team has the opposition hemmed into their own zone, and he can certainly park his sizable posterior in front of the net as there aren't a bunch of guys who could move him out if he doesn't want to be moved.

Face it...it is the type of guy whom any team would like to have on their side.

Pair him up with a solid technical d-man, and you could have a lethal pairing against most NHL lines.

Unless Philly's player and team philosophy drastically change overnight, you will ALWAYS see the orange n black linked to player monsters like this.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Not hard to see why a defenseman like Byfuglien is rumored to have drawn interest by the Flyers....or anyone else for that matter.

He is a big, tough, very physical guy who also has some underrated offensive skill to go along with that.

The prototypical "Flyer" type player.

Sure, he may not be the most sound in his defensive coverage or the most technically proficient when it comes to reading plays, disrupting them, and then following up with quick passing out of the zone to set up streaking forwards, but given what he DOES bring (the aforementioned positive attributes), teams would be willing to live with his medicore technique and actual defense.

Does it solve the Flyers' problems on the blue line?

No...but again, given Philly's overall team philosophy, big Dustin would fit right in....plus, it would take more than just one defenseman to solve the blue line issues.

If the Flyers want better overall D-men, then they may have to make some compromise on possibly giving up the usual 'heavy hitter' type for someone with a bit more technique and finesse to their game on the blue line.

It's not something Philly has focused on the last few seasons, but perhaps it would be time to look in that direction.

That all said, despite Dustin Byfuglien deficiencies, he still brings a presence to that blue line...forwards are VERY well aware when he is on the ice, lest they should get plastered into the 5th row.

He can also be seen jumping in on plays when his team has the opposition hemmed into their own zone, and he can certainly park his sizable posterior in front of the net as there aren't a bunch of guys who could move him out if he doesn't want to be moved.

Face it...it is the type of guy whom any team would like to have on their side.

Pair him up with a solid technical d-man, and you could have a lethal pairing against most NHL lines.

Unless Philly's player and team philosophy drastically change overnight, you will ALWAYS see the orange n black linked to player monsters like this.

That about sums it up! Nice comment regarding the philosophy of organization. For better or worse .... I still love the flyers.

Byfuglien is always rumored to the Flyers because he is another big dman, just like Coburn and Schenn, who thinks he can skate and coughs up the puck on most of his shifts. Oh and he takes bad penalties. He'd be a PERFECT Flyer defenseman. Of course, he once played in Atlanta, the home of the great defenseman and a Flyer scouting hub, so it makes him a great candidate to be traded here. I smell a 7 year deal with a NMC in the works.

Edited by FD19372

Byfuglien is always rumored to the Flyers because he is another big dman, just like Coburn and Schenn, who thinks he can skate and coughs up the puck on most of his shifts. Oh and he takes bad penalties. He'd be a PERFECT Flyer defenseman. Of course, he once played in Atlanta, the home of the great defenseman and a Flyer scouting hub, so it makes him a great candidate to be traded here. I smell a 7 year deal with a NMC in the works.

stop it, i just threw up in my mouth a little..

LMAO!  

He's a winger now, and he's looking like a natural. I think there's a good chance he stays in that capacity when he gets dealt. His defensive shortcomings don't stick out nearly as bad, and yeah...he is tough to move in front of that net. Of course, the Flyers have Hartnell and Simmonds doing that dirty work already, so it that part of his skill set becomes a bit redundant from a Flyers perspective.

Kinda makes sense. The flyers have a thing for going after the guys that are a pain in their ass.

What I can figure is why the thrash/jets always seem to be ready to move him.

Personally I can't see it going down. Just can imagine him in O&B (except sitting in the box an awful lot maybe).

Anyone ?

what the hell ? how is he the answer to anything that this team needs ?

Is it a constant smoke screen from Homer ?

Does Eklund just have big buff stuck on his computer's clipboard and control V's that **** whenever he's feeling blue ?

Is it because he's from Minnesota originally ?

good grief , if we give up any sort of decent asset for that stiff, i'll be praying for a Sixers-esque tanking session with firings and buyouts and testy pressers because damn... let's get the unmotivated fat guy and put him in this high pressure grinder and see how that works...

***dismounts soapbox, feeling a little better but still somewhat nauseous ***

Kinda makes sense. The flyers have a thing for going after the guys that are a pain in their ass.

What I can figure is why the thrash/jets always seem to be ready to move him.

Personally I can't see it going down. Just can imagine him in O&B (except sitting in the box an awful lot maybe).

On the bolded...

I think it all just comes back to team 'personalities and philosophies'.

I could be wrong, but he was traded from Chicago to the-then Thrashers, he was a victim of the salary cap. His skillset was good enough where teams would want him, but not so high where Chicago felt compelled to keep him on and pay him what would eventually be his current $6 M/per or so.

Back then, Atlanta was still having identity issues...they weren't sure whether they were going to be an all out offensive team (which they always seemed to be....though with little success to show for it), a defensive team, a skill team, a rough, physical team, or some hybrid.

Seems at the time, Byfuglien offered help in many of those areas.

Reason the-now Jets always seem to have him on the block is because the team STILL doesn't quite know what identity they want to have (or perhaps they do), and Byfuglien just doesn't fit into what they are trying to mold in Winnipeg.

Despite him not being one of the best D-men in the leauge (and as was mentioned, he seems to have made a transition of sorts to wing), but he still brings quite a bit to the ice with what he DOES do...provided the team that has him plays the kind of systems that seem more suited for a guy like him.

From where I sit, Winnipeg seems to be wanting now to be a more north-south, run n gun team, with the emphasis on having more solid D-men that can actually play the defensive position, and relying on goaltending to clean up any breakdowns the rushing forwards may  leave, and to shut down any skaters that do manage to get past the defense.

Byfuglien really doesn't seem suited for that type of play.

Seems he would be more at home on a team that emphasizes more brute strength, intimidation, and more of a half-court (pardon the NBA term...I know, blasphemy on a hockey site... :P  ) type game.

Teams such as the LA Kings, St. Louis Blues, Boston Bruins, and yes, the traditional Philadelphia Flyers.

Thing is, if Winnipeg can get a decent enough return on big Buff, I think they do a deal...but I don't see them trading him just for the sake of trading him, or with the idea that "he isn't any good", because that would be insane.

He does have two years left on his contract, according to capgeek, at a hit of just over $5M per, so given that, and his physical skillset, I think the Jets are justified in expecting a somewhat decent trade for  him.

If that is what they are waiting around on, then honestly, I have to give them kudos for hanging on to Buff (even though like you said, they always seem to have him on the block) and looking for the right deal.

Of course, this is a double edged sword...the longer the Jets wait to make a deal, Byfuglien's value may drop as he nears FA status, as teams will point out his deficiencies as reasons they don't want to give up much for him.....meanwhile, looking ahead to possibly nab in in free agency.

• Like 1