Kimmo 2014-2015?

Samifan

I didn't mean that they technically can't, just that they... can't. They need him too much. They should try like hell to trade Grossman. That would be $3.5M off the books. He's good at what he does, he just doesn't do that much. And he seems somewhat injury prone. Get whatever you can for him and call it a day.

Got it!

And I agrre w/ everything you state here :)

I will never again say that someone is favorably viewed by the flyers as untouchable (see #18).

Haha, don't you know that if you say something once on this board, you will never be able to live it down??? :)

@murraycraven - Started the Trade Coburn bandwagon in 2014.

I say bring him back (for less money of course)!

He is part of the fabric of this team and we need his leadership, etc.  I also think it would be good for the rookies (if they make it up), to have his veteran presence around.

ok.. now i am getting grumpy @ruxpin ... 

Timo will not be signing anywhere for less than $4m. and why should he? his play is still top 2 D pairing. thinking he will sign with the Flyers for $2m or less is completely delusional. 

LMAO!

I think he gets his $4M+ somewhere or goes home.  I am not sure I give him more than one year.  I really like Timo.  Class guy and all that.   I am not sure I resign him with the idea of playing him on the top pair but I don't know where else you put him.  I'm not sure that I like him paired with Mac, who I'd like to keep on the second pair.  And at $4M+ I'm not sure he belongs on the 3rd pair (plus, I think he's still better than 3rd pair).   

Do you go get a top pair guy and pair him with Coburn and then put Timo on the 3rd pair plus special teams?   I'm just not sure that Timo on the top pair (at this point in his career and especially a year older) gets you where you want to go.

If he wants to play, I don't know how you let him go do it somewhere else.  He's been a great team guy.  But I'm glad I'm not the one making those decisions.

I don't know...as much as I love the guy's heart and soul attitude he didn't start playing good hockey until after the damn Olympics break. And then a few hot weeks later he's taking maintenance days. (maybe it was only 1) :)

Well what the hell he turned in a respectable season points-wise, for him I mean. Can't exactly say we got our $6mil worth but what the hell. Sure would be great to see him get another crack at the Cup...

LMAO!

I think he gets his $4M+ somewhere or goes home.  I am not sure I give him more than one year.  I really like Timo.  Class guy and all that.   I am not sure I resign him with the idea of playing him on the top pair but I don't know where else you put him.  I'm not sure that I like him paired with Mac, who I'd like to keep on the second pair.  And at $4M+ I'm not sure he belongs on the 3rd pair (plus, I think he's still better than 3rd pair).   

Do you go get a top pair guy and pair him with Coburn and then put Timo on the 3rd pair plus special teams?   I'm just not sure that Timo on the top pair (at this point in his career and especially a year older) gets you where you want to go.

If he wants to play, I don't know how you let him go do it somewhere else.  He's been a great team guy.  But I'm glad I'm not the one making those decisions.

i think timo will follow the Teemu model. one year to one year. to me, he proved he's still valuable. of course, the cheaper the better, but he'll get his $4m+ somewhere. if it makes sense for the flyers, i do hope they keep him. 

You know I agree on this... ;)

if Kimmo comes back at 3M I am fine. One of the defensmen on the current 6 are gone before next season.   Schenn, Grossman or Cobie will be packing their bags and moving to another Team.  

@murraycraven

There is still the Coburn to Edmonton rumours out there so maybe he's the one who goes since he'd probably get the most return back for the Flyers

I wouldn't mind having him around for ghost to look at and practice with either. He's still contributing and had his healthiest year in a while.

I think 3-4 million is realistic. Though we'd all prefer 2-3

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20140415_Will_these_playoffs_be_Timonen_s_last_.html

So Kimmo may be interested in playing again next season rather than calling it a nice career. Based on his comments, Holmgren would welcome Kimmo back with open arms provided he doesnt expect another one year/$6 million per contract. Interested in what the group thinks; is Kimmo back as a 3/4 or 5/6 defensemen a good thing? If so, what is the term? I can't see him playing for anything in the $1-2 million range and anything more than that is excessive IMO.

Thoughts?

Dude plays the most minutes too.

I'd be shocked if they traded him. It would only make sense if there was a "Schenn for some D man better than coburn" in the works.

They can't trade Coburn. I would honestly say he was their best defenseman this year. Certainly the best defensive defenseman. Losing him would seriously hurt.

Both SchennS is far more likely than coburn at this point.

Not sure why everyone think and man is getting

Traded though. We can't assume Ghost will be NHL ready for some time.

They can surely try even w/ a NMC... I do not want Coburn traded but I think someone is going to go out of those 3. I still have a feeling that both Schenns are the ones that get traded.

is Kimmo back as a 3/4 or 5/6 defensemen a good thing?

If he does come back, I don't see him as a 5/6. On this team, he is still a 3/4 at worse. Which truly is a credit to his skill. The separation between 1/2 - 3/4 is not that great, just really the match-up on the opposition you play against. 

The Flyers just signed a guy who has never, ever scored 30 points for $5M.

talk about beating a dead horse. The Macdaddy signing is a completely different thing than signing a guy who is in his swan song. Come rad, I expect more from you than beating the donkey like this. Hee Haw Hee Haw!! :-P

Edited by Vanflyer

Everybody knows I have great respect from Kimo and what he has accomplished in the O&B. I fear his time is coming to and end here. There is one capacity I would LOVE him to return for....a player/coach who makes around 2 mill a year. We get another year of with Kimo, and our many defense prospects learn the little nuances from a true master. You sill run him out for the pp, or pp2 if somebody emerges. He is fully rested, teaching our kids an a fantastic fresh weapon for the 15 playoff run. Anything more than that and I sadly bid adieu.

I fear his time is coming to and end here. There is one capacity I would LOVE him to return for.

You and I have been good friends over the years, but how can you say his time has come to an end??? While I agree don't spend the money, he has gas in the tank. If the point is to open a roster spot for a developing player, fine. But considering he is still in the top 3 of d-men on this team, its insulting to him. 

As far as coaching type of thing. Never. He wants to go raise his boys, and that is not in the USA. 

I think Jam is exactly right VF. I wasn't kidding when I said it took him till the Oly break to start playing well - consistently well. He turned in a good year all in all but he looked spent the first 5 months of the season imho.

I would be great to have him around for another year but I don't like the idea of depending on him for more than 1/2 a year.

talk about beating a dead horse. The Macdaddy signing is a completely different thing than signing a guy who is in his swan song. Come rad, I expect more from you than beating the donkey like this. Hee Haw Hee Haw!! :-P

It's a HORSE tyvm ;)

Lidstrom made $6.2M as a 41 year old in 2011. Now, Kimmo is no Nik Lidstrom, nor am I saying he is. But in his $6.2M "swan song" he put up 34 points - which is about what Kimmo just put up.

If Nik Lidstrom was "worth" $6.2M three years ago at 41, it's not unreasonable to see Kimmo "worth" $5M at 40 three years later - especially with what it "means" to the Flyers in terms of experience, leadership and continuity. That's no different than the argument being made in the MacDonald thread that comparing his salary to what more talented guys got 2 or 3 years ago isn't "market value" and that the Flyers "had to overpay" to get "what [insert player name] brings to the team."

A lot IMO depends on how they do in this playoff. If they make a lot of noise and seem poised to make a "next step" I can certainly see Timonen wanting to come back and the Flyers not wanting to fill that rather large hole immediately.

And, of course, how Timonen plays. I agree he looked awful at the start of the season (as did the squad as a whole). And the question is definitely whether the Flyers - and the player - believe(s) he can be a productive member of the team on a consistent basis.

And, lastly, what else Homer sees out there that is available. It could be that he decides, for example, that an Andre Markov could provide much of the same impact Kimmo would, but is younger.

I don't see Timonen signing for (or the Flyers offering) less than $4M in any event.