Franchise center finally arrives in Sabreland! All systems go!

Buffalo Rick

Now that the Sabres and us fans know its Eichel, its time to decide how to use the other number one pick and those other number two picks?  It has been thrown out there by Murray that they will strongly consider trading the pick for an established player, but only if they get value.  Murray is not the type of GM who will get blindsided like some that i would love to mention.  An enemy forum is likely not the place to do it.  I do not know what Murray has up his sleeve as far as goaltending goes but I am for bringing Miller back if he is willing or if not, pursue a guy like Talbot as you know the Rangers are not going to be able to keep a guy like him happy sitting on the bench when he has proven he is worthy of being a starter.  It is not a sure thing that Eichel will leave school to go to the NHl right away either.  The smart money says yes.  But who knows.  I know one thing, Eichel with Kane and Girgensons and Reinhart all jumping into the linup makes us a far better team right away and Murray said he is not for a long rebuild but for a fast one.  I expect if he is able to land the right free agents and use these draft picks we have we can be back in contention right away.  Making the playoffs as a lower seed is not something that is as difficult in the NHL as it is in the NFL.  I expect a team like Columbus to come out smoking if they can regain their season ending form and add a good player at number 8.  Would not be surprised if they tried to move up?  The tanking is over in Buffalo and it was worth it in my opinon.  If we had not, we would not be getting Jack Eichel.  All of the negative posts here are a joke really.  What they really are is the frustration of a team like Philadelphia and their fans knowing they cannot land a guy like Eichel.  Or even Strome.  So they have nothing else to do but throw insults at the Sabres.  They should look at their own GM and then they may realize what a mess they have themselves before they go attacking Buffalo.  I assure you Murray and Pegula will make this team better in a damned hurrry

Now that the Sabres and us fans know its Eichel, its time to decide how to use the other number one pick and those other number two picks?  It has been thrown out there by Murray that they will strongly consider trading the pick for an established player, but only if they get value.  Murray is not the type of GM who will get blindsided like some that i would love to mention.  An enemy forum is likely not the place to do it.  I do not know what Murray has up his sleeve as far as goaltending goes but I am for bringing Miller back if he is willing or if not, pursue a guy like Talbot as you know the Rangers are not going to be able to keep a guy like him happy sitting on the bench when he has proven he is worthy of being a starter.  It is not a sure thing that Eichel will leave school to go to the NHl right away either.  The smart money says yes.  But who knows.  I know one thing, Eichel with Kane and Girgensons and Reinhart all jumping into the linup makes us a far better team right away and Murray said he is not for a long rebuild but for a fast one.  I expect if he is able to land the right free agents and use these draft picks we have we can be back in contention right away.  Making the playoffs as a lower seed is not something that is as difficult in the NHL as it is in the NFL.  I expect a team like Columbus to come out smoking if they can regain their season ending form and add a good player at number 8.  Would not be surprised if they tried to move up?  The tanking is over in Buffalo and it was worth it in my opinon.  If we had not, we would not be getting Jack Eichel.  All of the negative posts here are a joke really.  What they really are is the frustration of a team like Philadelphia and their fans knowing they cannot land a guy like Eichel.  Or even Strome.  So they have nothing else to do but throw insults at the Sabres.  They should look at their own GM and then they may realize what a mess they have themselves before they go attacking Buffalo.  I assure you Murray and Pegula will make this team better in a damned hurrry

Feel free to mix in a paragraph once and a while

Congrats on Eichel, HJ....

Sabres COULD be well on their way...now all you need is a defense, a goaltender, some cohesion on your forward lines, and a good coach steer the bunch in altogether the right directions as they play their way through a tough Atlantic Division.

Oh, and let's not forget the team depth and role players.....those pesky injuries have a way of derailing a team...no matter HOW good a lineup looks on paper.

Outside of those things needed, you guys are all set!  ;)

The Sabres may have some 1A goalies to pick from for next year (or two).  At least until a draft or better option come along.

You would think that any one of the following may be available for varying degrees of return (I'm not going to separate FAs from trade possibilities)

Niemi

Elliott

Miller

Howard

Talbot

One of the three goalies in Ottawa

Just for starters.  Who am I forgetting?

The Sabres may have some 1A goalies to pick from for next year (or two).  At least until a draft or better option come along.

You would think that any one of the following may be available for varying degrees of return (I'm not going to separate FAs from trade possibilities)

Niemi

Elliott

Miller

Howard

Talbot

One of the three goalies in Ottawa

Just for starters.  Who am I forgetting?

I don't think they are quite ready to move any of them, but the Bolts may have three NHL ready goalies next season: Ben Bishop (28 yo, current roster), Andrei Vasilevskiy (20 yo, current roster), Kristers Gudlevskis (22, AHL Syracuse)

Plus, they just signed Adam Wilcox (22,  former Minnesota Golden Gophers) to a 2 yr entry level contract to be their goalie in the AHL.

Maybe if the Bolts saw something in the Sabres roster they'd want, they may part with one.

Over in Chicago, Scott Darling seems to be outplaying Corey Crawford...Darling is cheaper, Hawks are in a cap crunch heading into next season, maybe they part with Crawford and can send him Buffalo's way for a moderate compensation.

And Detroit has Howard, Mrazek under contract, but Jonas Gustavsson will be a UFA over there.

Just some names to throw out there that perhaps the Sabres may look at.

Of course, dealing with TB or Det means dealing within the division for Buf, so not sure how quick a deal between any of those teams materialize.

I don't think they are quite ready to move any of them, but the Bolts may have three NHL ready goalies next season: Ben Bishop (28 yo, current roster), Andrei Vasilevskiy (20 yo, current roster), Kristers Gudlevskis (22, AHL Syracuse)

Plus, they just signed Adam Wilcox (22,  former Minnesota Golden Gophers) to a 2 yr entry level contract to be their goalie in the AHL.

Maybe if the Bolts saw something in the Sabres roster they'd want, they may part with one.

Over in Chicago, Scott Darling seems to be outplaying Corey Crawford...Darling is cheaper, Hawks are in a cap crunch heading into next season, maybe they part with Crawford and can send him Buffalo's way for a moderate compensation.

And Detroit has Howard, Mrazek under contract, but Jonas Gustavsson will be a UFA over there.

Just some names to throw out there that perhaps the Sabres may look at.

Of course, dealing with TB or Det means dealing within the division for Buf, so not sure how quick a deal between any of those teams materialize.

I am not sure they would turn aside a trade from the Sabres at this point because we are considered to be in first stage rebuild mode and we will not get much respect from the standpoint of being a threat to any of them right now.  But they had best be careful.  Murray is not planning to wait long to win. He is out to acquire FA's that can help infuse the young stars to be with immediate results.  Its not like it has not happened before and Calgary came out of nowhere this year.  Edmonton has been such a bust with all of these first round picks but this guy is more special than the others.  Too soon to anoint him as the 2nd  coming of Gretsky or Crosby though.  I have seen him and Eichel and they both have incredible up side.  Great hands, and if Eichel has one thing over McDAvid its size.  And that matters crashing the net and such.  Buffalo has been great at one thing in their history, and that is finding great goalies.  Edwards, Sauve, Hasek, Miller all great.  

I had not thought about that situation, but now that you mention it, that has a real chance of happening. Chicago seems to be one of those system teams AND brimming with enough depth that the goalie only needs to be serviceable, not outstanding for them to win the cup.....Nemi was cast aside just a few months after winning the cup, since the same GM is there, the same thing could happen quite easily. Bowman is not shy about making calls and acting quickly on based on what value he assigns certain players. He's one of the very best at assessing talent and having confidence in his ability to do so.

Darling looks very strong of late, I'd rather move out Crawford then lose my top 6 forward depth in either Sharp and or Hossa. Those 2 are what makes the Hawks so hard to beat, you are forced to put your best checkers on Kane and Toews, but that leaves the 2nd line facing sub par checkers. I know sometimes Kane and Captain Serious play on differente lines, but it's exactly like the Detroit thing, inevitably they end up putting Datsuyk with Zetterberg because they click when it matters the most...the same is true for Chicago's young stars.

Buffalo has been great at one thing in their history, and that is finding great goalies. Edwards, Sauve, Hasek, Miller all great.

Yep, those guys are all excellent tenders. Buffalo is the opposite of the Flyer org, we have had Parent, Hexy and Lindburgh for a cup of coffee. Even though he was not in Buffalo for long,  Grant Fuhr has suited up for the Sabres, although he's obviously not remembered in that capacity (the coke was clearly not as good in Buffalo...LOL). I also thought Puppa was a decent tender, Tom Barasso was another guy who stood out. Want be to make you feel old in one sentence....Dave Dryden....Ken's older brother and ex-Sabre is not 73 years old....I know that makes me feel old....ha ha.

Yep, those guys are all excellent tenders. Buffalo is the opposite of the Flyer org, we have had Parent, Hexy and Lindburgh for a cup of coffee. Even though he was not in Buffalo for long, but Grant Fuhr has suited up for the Sabres, although he's obviously not remembered in that capacity. I also thought Puppa was a decent tender, Tom Barasso was another guy who stood out. Want be to make you feel old in one sentence....Dave Dryden....Ken's older brother and ex-Sabre is not 73 years old....I know that makes me feel old....ha ha.

Ahhhh, Darren PUUUUUUUPPPPPAAAAAAAA.....

Brings me back to my early, wide eyed girl, Lightning days in the mid 90's.....

Poor Puppa was cast off by many teams (Toronto was the last I believe before Tampa got him)...due to back issues I believe.

When right, he sure was a wall in net for the Bolts..... #93, Godzilla...he had that on his mask....but the guy just had trouble staying healthy.

At any rate, guys like Darren Puppa, Brian Bradley, John Cullen, Rob Zamuner, Enrico Ciccone, Rudy Poeschek, Marc Bergevin, Dino Ciccerelli, Shawn Burr, and bunch of others who went through the Bolts locker room during those years are all directly responsible for me becoming the big hockey fan that I am today!

Sorry for rambling on off topic...just HAD to comment when I saw someone ELSE mention Puppa!

I thought I was the only one who remembered him. :D

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Buffalo franchise player thread.....

Yep, those guys are all excellent tenders. Buffalo is the opposite of the Flyer org, we have had Parent, Hexy and Lindburgh for a cup of coffee. Even though he was not in Buffalo for long,  Grant Fuhr has suited up for the Sabres, although he's obviously not remembered in that capacity (the coke was clearly not as good in Buffalo...LOL). I also thought Puppa was a decent tender, Tom Barasso was another guy who stood out. Want be to make you feel old in one sentence....Dave Dryden....Ken's older brother and ex-Sabre is not 73 years old....I know that makes me feel old....ha ha.

Cant believe I forgot Barraso.

Okay on topic:

Eichel should start right from day one on the top line with Moulson beside him on one side and Ennis on the other. With Reinhart and Girgensons centering the second and third lines, the Sabres are deeper down the middle than any time since the mid seventies when they had Perreault, Luce and Andre Savard. Still thin on wing, the hope is Hodgson bounces back under a new coach (I love Nolan but he really screwed this kids confidence up) a free agent here or there, the Sabre forwards which have been the worst in hockey for the past three years by a LOT could become a strength. A healthy Evander Kane on either the first or second line certainly will help too.

Defensively, Bogo and the kids are a glaring weakness with shot blocking the only real skill that they seem to share.

Goaltending is wretched in Buffalo. Howard would be a good fit. He is yours for an autographed Don Edwards hockey card.

based on what is swirling around in the rumor mill JE might be back at BU next year.   He was just pegged for an Assistant next year at the Friends of BU dinner and some of the quotes from JE and his Coach sound like there is a very good chance he stays at BU for another year.   

Fry up some halibut b/c things could get interesting in the Buff...

If Eichel tells Buffalo that he intends to return to school do you think the Sabres would consider drafting someone else with the second pick or trading the pick for the right offer?

What would a GM have to offer to move up to #2? Would a top six forward, depth player, prospect and pick get it done?

If Eichel tells Buffalo that he intends to return to school do you think the Sabres would consider drafting someone else with the second pick or trading the pick for the right offer?

What would a GM have to offer to move up to #2? Would a top six forward, depth player, prospect and pick get it done?

If Eichel really is "generational" a la McDavid/Crosby/Lindros it should take A LOT more than that.

If I'm Buffalo, I'm happy to wait a year - again, if you're really talking about a generational player.

IMO, If I'm Buffalo and Eichel tells them he's opting to return to the NCAA, I still draft him.

Yup. If a team passes on a generational talent because he wants to remain in college for another year, they're idiots.

@murraycraven

My opinion is it is bluster, not to be taken serious. The kid can step into a team and be a first line center in the NHL right now, unless he simply does not want to play for Buffalo, ala Lindros with the Nordiques, no way no how does he not join the NHL this year.

So if it is a case of he would rather wake up in the morning with his head nailed to the floor than be a Sabre, what would a team have to give up?

Top six plus a pick nowhere near enough. Top line player, maybe a top pair d-man and multiple picks, at least if you buy the hype. If I am the Sabres nothing short of that would pry him loose. Call his bluff. He belongs in the NHL not chasing coeds. I know the women in Buffalo have thick ankles and hairy legs but he should be able to find one or two willing to welcome him with open, um arms.

If he doesn't want to be a Sabre, he could just not opt in and just wait for next year. I'd think we'd have started hearing rumors if any of the top players hadn't opted in by now, though the deadline is May 1.

Archived