Rinaldo Traded to Boston for 2017 3rd Rounder

AJgoal

What does Zac's departure mean for the Flyer's cap?

Very minimal difference in the cap (guy was only at around $850K for two more seasons), but more IMPORTANTLY for the Flyers, it's the freed up roster spot that should now go to a, you know, ACTUAL hockey player.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does Zac's departure mean for the Flyer's cap?

Not much but his salary will be used to sign guys who can actually play and contribute...like Vandevelde whom they just resigned...and i'd imagine White maybe next...unless he wants to weigh his options see how much money he can get his is a UFA.

Scott Thornton was 10x the hockey player Rinaldo was. He put up 42 points in one season, something Rinaldo hasn't even come close to doing, and never will

Oh, totally agree bro. Zac will never ever have the impact that Scott did. I was just pointing out that the Bruins always have put aside at least one roster spot for a tough guy...so Zac should have no problem sticking. GM's tend to make sure that a guy who warrented a 3rd rounder will make the roster....he would look real bad is Zac got cut...so Zac basically has to play himself off the team.

At the height of Scott's game, he was the games best tough guy/ checker....Zac will never be confused with anyone like that.

It blows my mind away that some people are legitimately angry we traded Rinaldo (granted this seems to be on a lot of FB posts).  Rinaldo was effective for a little while when he was playing with discipline and actually roping guys into penalties as opposed to taking them.  However his reputation burned him more times than not even when he wasn't doing anything illegal.  I just don't understand how you can be upset for obtaining a 3rd round pick for a 4th line player that you won't even dress every day and certainly not in the playoffs. 

The guy has more games suspended than career goals (14 vs 8).  

Since the Flyers usually always keep a roster spot for a tough guy, Goulbourne's chances of making the roster just increased exponentially. I don't think he will make the team outright, but I can see him in the press box and being activated for tough division games against the Islanders and Rangers etc....It's not like being in the press box will hurt his young career, if he makes the NHL, it will be as a pugilist, so if he misses a few AHL games while he's waiting for his shot to knock in a few heads, no big loss. The Flyers could also call him up and down for teams they think will be of the tougher variety.

Thing might be different in the Hakstol/Hextall era, but I still think the need for a tough guy against division rivals will never go away. The big difference is we will not see a roster spot guaranteed to a tough guy per say....just a call up here or there would be perfect.

Since the Flyers usually always keep a roster spot for a tough guy, Goulbourne's chances of making the roster just increased exponentially. I don't think he will make the team outright, but I can see him in the press box and being activated for tough division games against the Islanders and Rangers etc....It's not like being in the press box will hurt his young career, if he makes the NHL, it will be as a pugilist, so if he misses a few AHL games while he's waiting for his shot to knock in a few heads, no big loss. The Flyers could also call him up and down for teams they think will be of the tougher variety.

Thing might be different in the Hakstol/Hextall era, but I still think the need for a tough guy against division rivals will never go away. The big difference is we will not see a roster spot guaranteed to a tough guy per say....just a call up here or there would be perfect.

Can't wait to see the 1st time Zac and Simmer square off...that should be something...

Is a 3rd really that much of a stretch for Rinaldo? OK I admit I like him a lot, one of my favorite Flyers to watch. But is a 3rd rounder really so insane? I think both teams did well on this trade.

Well, since it's not in the coming year, it's valued as a 4th. I don't think that's too much of a stretch for him.

I give Zac credit. He worked hard and wanted to be a better hockey player. He didn't want to be just a goon or an energy guy - according to Meltzer, Zac was trying to be involved in the PK - it wasn't just the coaches trying to find an extra role for him. How often do you hear that sort of thing about any player?

"Watching Rinaldo practice on a regular basis, it becomes clear that he possesses a good work ethic. That is part of why his assistant coaches through the years -- especially Ian Laperriere -- have been quick to advocate for him. He cares and is willing to work for his keep.

Sadly, the hard work has not resulted in substantial improvement of his game at the pro level. Rinaldo has long craved the chance to be a regular part of the penalty killing rotation. He has not particularly shined in periodic experiments, which would be necessary for him to get longer looks in that role. While some would say the problem is that he can't be trusted not to take an additional penalty, the bigger issue is that he is still a work in progress in learning the nuances of defensive play at the NHL level."

I think he'll continue to stick around somewhere in the league with that attitude. I still hope he can be successful at some level. When you have guys who just go through the motions but have jobs because of natural talent, I find it hard not to root for a guy who tries to improve and expand his game. It was time to move on from Zac, but I will kind of miss him.

Is a 3rd really that much of a stretch for Rinaldo? OK I admit I like him a lot, one of my favorite Flyers to watch. But is a 3rd rounder really so insane? I think both teams did well on this trade.

Not at all. The Flyers took a 6th rounder, turned him into a marginal NHLer (which is impressive in itself for a 6th rounder), and got a 3rd for him. I'd say that's good asset management.

Of the 150 or so players picked before him (from rounds 2 through 6), exactly 9 players have played more games than Rinaldo. 

I had an appreciation for Zac in the same way I appreciated Grossmann, they were tough guys, and did whatever for the team, in Zac's case he often got jobbed by the referee's because of his reputation.  He did work hard, he never ever took his ice for granted, he had good speed and often used it.  
He also had limited skill and that was on display as often as his effort.

The Bruins board is just blowing up.  Those poor people are all jumping into the Charles River.

I did not like Rinaldo.  I think he's dead from the neck up.   I do actually think a 3rd is a stretch for a 4th line guy who, while he plays with energy, plays like an imbecile and gets you down a man more often than anything else.

However, I think Sweeney has proven he hasn't the foggiest idea what he's doing with draft picks, so maybe it's not ultimately that big a deal.  I'm just glad Rinaldo is gone.

Maybe Sweeney is the new Holmgren?

Fine by me...I just hope Hexy has his number on speed dial, the Flyers could use a foolish trading partner right about now for more than just Rinaldo (i.e., VLC, Umberger, AMac).

all the Bruins need to do now is add Matt Cooke to the equation......

it is too funny how 1 GM has in the course of 3-4 days absolutely destroyed that team.  Sweeney must have taken notes from Ruben Amaro. :P

all the Bruins need to do now is add Matt Cooke to the equation......

it is too funny how 1 GM has in the course of 3-4 days absolutely destroyed that team.  Sweeney must have taken notes from Ruben Amaro. :P

Cooke, Marchand, AND Rinaldo all on the same team??

Sure...if the GM's mission is to blow the team up from the inside out........ :lol:

Talk about a dysfunctional locker room!

And I don't EVER feel sorry for Boston players, but if something like that WERE to happen, poor Bergeron and Krejci.....two VERY good professionals I wouldn't mind on my teams.

It was time to move on from Zac, but I will kind of miss him.

I won't *kind* of miss him, I will really miss him. That dude was a friggin animal. He had a vicious quality about him that made him special. I will always have fond memories of him. It was time to go, but those wicked haymakers were so much fun to watch....he punched to knock people out....LOVED that about him!!

Sad day in Flyerland, Rinaldo will be missed on the ice. No more Richards, no more Pronger, only Simmer remains and he can't be burdened with it all.

The return was not the problem, we lost a player who bled Orange, who's favorite player growing up was Lindros and tried to hit like him.

We have several role players, but none that hit like Rino'. None that put fear in the oposition. I remember them playoffs against Jersey when we were getting our asses handed to us and then Rinaldo was back in the lineup, putting Jersey back in their place, he changed the whole composition of the game and brought our respectability back, especially with that solid check he and Coots laid out for payback on Jersey's cheapshot.

Where did all the Flyer Cowboys gooo? .....yippeeyoo..yippeeyaay....yippeeyooo..yippeeyay!

Archived