Game #53 - Sabres at Flyers - Feb 11 2016 - 7:00 ET

brelic

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-21116-vs-BUF/45/74677

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 2.35 (25th), Sabres 2.30 (28th)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.64 (15th), Sabres 2.70 (21st)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 75/79, Sabres 76/104
Power play efficiency: Flyers 18.0% (19th), Sabres 21.1% (6th)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 78.6% (23rd), Sabres 81.2% (14th)
Shots per game: Flyers 30.3 (12th), Sabres 29.5 (16th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 32.2 (22nd), Sabres 30.9 (29th)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 50.0% (T-16th), Sabres 50.0% (T-16th)

Projected lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

Flyers

93 Jakub Voracek - 28 Claude Giroux - 17 Wayne Simmonds
89 Sam Gagner - 52 Nick Cousins - 10 Brayden Schenn
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White 
12 Michael Raffl- 19 Jordan Weal - 20 R.J. Umberger 

15 Michael Del Zotto - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas

35 Steve Mason
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Scratches: Evgeny Medvedev (healthy), Matt Read (healthy), Scott Laughton (healthy),Sean Couturier (IR, lower body).

Sabres

44 Nicolas Deslauriers - 90 Ryan O'Reilly - 88 Jamie McGinn
82 Marcus Foligno - 15 Jack Eichel - 26 Matt Moulson
9 Evander Kane - 23 Sam Reinhart - 12 Brian Gionta
29 Jake McCabe - 43 Dan Catenacci - 17 David Legwand

4 Josh Gorges - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
47 Zach Bogosian - 3 Mark Pysyk
6 Mike Weber - 46 Cody Franson

40 Robin Lehner / 31 Chad Johnson

Scratches: Carlo Colaiacovo (healthy), Cody Franson (healthy), Josh Bailey (healthy, recalled Wednesday), Zemgus Girgensons (questionable, lower body), Johan Larsson (questionable), Tyler Ennis (IR, suspected concussion), Cody McCormick (IR, blood clots).

Greetings:

I guess we are seeing the overall dissatisfaction with our forwards with Umby in but Laughton/Read out.  Gagner has played with some speed and Weal can't be any worse  than his colleagues.  

Even if he shows no fatigue, Mason starting again seems at least a bit strange.  I'd give Stolarz a chance against a weaker team.  It might also be a signal to play harder.

Medvedev....we may be seeing this as a 3 million dollar experiment that hasn't panned out.  AHL/KHL success don't necessarily equate to the NHL.  

This is a classic matchup in my book.  History has made this a good competition.  

Howie

waiting for HJ to chime in ....3......2......1.......

19 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I'd give Stolarz a chance against a weaker team.

Agree...I'd like to see how Stolarz does with the big boys.  I think playing him vs. the Sabres would have been good game for him to get a start.

MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER

MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER MILLER

Take the halibut out of the fridge and fire up the Lumina, it's Miller Time baby!! 

Seriously though, what's up with scratching Read over Umby? Unless there is a trade in the works, this just doesn't make an ounce of sense. 

19 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

Take the halibut out of the fridge and fire up the Lumina, it's Miller Time baby!! 

Seriously though, what's up with scratching Read over Umby? Unless there is a trade in the works, this just doesn't make an ounce of sense. 

It does make you wonder...

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I recall in Rick's about me page that he has moved past Ryan Miller and I have yet to see Rick mention him since.

Now it's the era of Garfunkel.

Mason was darn good. Sorry he lost the shutout.  Gagner has some skill the team could use.  Would I keep him at 3.5 million. No.  1.5...maybe.  Weal can skate.  Raffl may have made himself better trade bait.

The downside of this game--our D was giving up shots by the bushel.  We are fortunate Mason was on top of his game in the bookend periods. 

Howie

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

Gudas is starting to become the defensive version of Rinaldo...   idiot play.

With the game in hand, I turned it off with 5 min left to play.  I didn't know anything about this until I saw a Sabre calling him an idiot.  What happened?  Is it suspension worthy?  I have not seen a replay yet.

10 minutes ago, Adamflyers said:

With the game in hand, I turned it off with 5 min left to play.  I didn't know anything about this until I saw a Sabre calling him an idiot.  What happened?  Is it suspension worthy?  I have not seen a replay yet.

It was a pretty tough hit.  The guy had his head down and was pursuing the puck but didnt actually have possession of it.  Wasn't a necessary hit and likely will being some supplementary discipline.

Catenacci was skating through center with a Flyer checking him. Lost control of the puck, looked down and back and bent over to try to retrieve it. Gudas nailed him. Couple of problems with the hit: First, it wasn't like Catenacci ducked at the last second. He was bent over for a noticeable amount of time before Gudas hit him. He was obviously defenseless, and the game was well in hand with less than 4 minutes to go. No need to go for that big hit. It was dumb. I think this one will result in a suspension.

Archived